“Make sure you have a big breakfast! ”
Review of Tintagel Castle

Tintagel Castle
Book In Advance
More Info
US$42.89*
and up
English Heritage Overseas Visitor Pass with Free...
Ranked #7 of 19 things to do in Tintagel
More attraction details
Owner description: This brooding 13th-century castle sits on the rugged and spectacular Atlantic coast in Cornwall, which recalls the myth and mystery associated with King Arthur and Merlin the magician. New exhibition explores the stories linking Tintagel to King Arthur which includes a 3D model of the site illustrating how it has changed over the centuries. Dog friendly and child friendly, this is a great day out for all the family.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Have always wanted to come here from seeing photos on Pinterest. Every time we come to Cornwall I always plan on spending our last day here making it closer to home for us to travel. But every time the weather forecast for Tintagel hasn’t been good so we have never been.

Even though rain was forecast for this afternoon we headed first thing this morning (thankfully having a Mac Donald’s on the way!)

Going my sat Mac thought it would be a good idea to go via some traditional narrow roads - which thankfully were quiet as some were only just wide enough for the car! So if you have a sat bag like mine and aren’t travelling at non peak time I would stick to the main roads which only add an extra 10 mins or so!

When we arrived I was expecting some English heritage signs and for it to be obvious where the castle was, my vision of the castle was the opposite of what it is!

There are lots of car parks - we parked I. The one right next to the Cornish bakery - was £4 for all day. I think the car parks before this one are cheaper as they are further away

When we came out of the car park we didn’t really know where we were going but there was a wooden sign ☺️

There was a landrover ride £2 adults £1 children offering to take you to the entrance of the castle - which at first I thought was weird - but as soon as we started to walk down I then realised why they offered this! It’s a steep walk down with a stream running at the side of you which is nice.

We didn’t wear wellies just our trainers which given all of the rain I wondered if this was the right thing - but we were fine in these and I had no muddy regrets

What I wasn’t expecting is the very very steep steps everywhere - which are scary not only going up but also going down! I have a 6 year old so this made it doubly scary

We signed up to do the Easter trail and thankfully we then naturally joined another family going round doing the trail which made it a little easier going up down and round the steep steps

I didn’t read up about Tintagel before going and if I’m honest I was expecting a castle and for it to be similar ish to st Michaels Mount - but it’s nothing like it!

That said the views are out of this world and change every time you move

The village itself is also very nice and has lots of places to recharge your batteries before heading on.

I wasn’t expecting to reach many miles today as it felt like I was constantly going up or down steps - but by the time we got back to the car I had nearly done my 10k steps! My heart rate monitor thingy was also at the highest and longest it ha ever been since me getting the fit bit a year ago

Write a ReviewReviews (3,550)
All reviews
in 45 reviews
"ticket office"
in 47 reviews

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Last time we came here it was closed for renovations this time it was open but the Land Rover transport was not operating as it was out of season. The walk down is about 500 metres and the word DOWN is most appropriate as it is a steep path. There is a shop and restaurant at the end which you will need before your return!

You will experience some fantastic views so a camera is a requirement. The walk up to the castle is very steep and largely steps hewn out of the rock. Some of these steps are very steep although most of the way has a handrail. Having reached the top and the castle the effort is well worth it. It is largely ruins but information posts give details of the history. You can walk all over the 'island' but it is hard work and tiring. But do try to make it to the statue on the other side of the island. It sounds like its a long way away but once to have walked to the top of the island there is only a 150 yards to get to the Statue. A must for your selfie and the view over the sea is awesome.

The return journey to the restaurant and exhibition centre is easier but be careful of the steep steps.

Is it worth doing ? Definitely but it is somewhat of a physical challenge. (Especially if you are well into your 60s like us)

1  Thank Ian L
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Well worth the visit. Go on....what are you waiting for? Wear sensible waterproof shoes because it can get slippery on the wet rocks

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Prepare for lots of steep steps and lots of walking! Breathtaking views! Even if it was a bit windy!

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I was planning to visit this castle for ages and i was so happy finally i got there. Check opening times before visit especially in low season as they have shorter visiting hours and closed on some days. Even though not much left from the castle this place is magical. Allow plenty of time to walk around and be prepared very steep stairs. On the day i visited the beach wasnt accessible due to heavy rains which was pretty annoying as i really wanted to go into Merlin's cave. I would advise to check the tide table if you are planning to visit the cave. There is a cafe and plenty of stops for a picnic as well. They run a land rover shuttle service in high season cos you must park in the village. Walking to and from the castle from the village itself could be challenging for those are not very fitt. Once in the village do pop into the 600 years old old post office. I can only recommend it to everybody who is fit.