“Lovely family meal”

The Five Bells Inn
Ranked #26 of 562 Restaurants in Exeter
Price range: US$8 - US$60
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Five Bells Inn at Clyst Hydon is a delightful thatched 16th century building that has been the village local for over a 100 years. Following an extensive renovation and refurbishment it reopened on 9th August 2013 under new management. Special dietary requirements are willingly catered for.
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Amazing food, 3 of us had the burger with duck fat chips, 1 fish pie,1 lemon sole and 1 fish and chips. We all enjoyed our meals however the fish pie was on the small side but still delicious! Good variety of classic pub grub.
Staff were friendly and atmosphere was lovely! Pub done out in a welcoming and modern decor.

Definitely recommend this pub to families and couples and highly recommend the duck fat chips!!

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We went there today for Sunday lunch after reading the reviews.
We decided on a two course meal which had a good choice on the menu.
I chose the roast lamb and the presentation was good with not everything piled high on your plate.
My companion had the sea bass which was cooked to perfection.
We just had to have deserts and we chose the cheesecake and lemon posset. Both were served beautifully in small kilner jars.
A good selection of wines.
The staff were all friendly and chatty.
Having worked in the pub and restaurant trade it was refreshing to find such pleasant staff and a high level of quality food.
Keep up the good work!

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

In the past, I’ve voted this 5 stars and have compared every other restaurant against it in terms of standards, quality and value.
It pains me to state that I won’t be coming back in a hurry and this is down to the new menu.
It is hard writing this, as it holds fond memories for me, but what I loved it about it most has gone.
Which once was a regular treat- known for its exceptional menu which beat the Jack in the Green, is now now serving “pub grub”.
I’m sorry for this, as I’m sure there are your reasons, but this is not the reason I came to the five bells and nor will it be the reason I come in future.
In short food was good, but I don’t want burgers or sausage and mash and a much reduced menu. I want the excellent lamb and the wonderful agnolotti!

3  Thank PartTimeFoodie123
Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Went here for my birthday yesterday and the food was amazing. I felt at home. The service was amazing and the new menu is to die for. I wanted everything on the menu and we all enjoyed it even my 1 year old nephew. I will be coming here for food again very soon. Im fussy with my food but all i can say is you need to go!!!

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Wonderful 3 course lunch - incredible value given the high quality of the food!

We were recommended the Five Bells by Gabriella from The Devon Foodie. It did not disappoint!

We particularly loved the duck egg starter and the amazing homemade ice creams!

Highly recommended.