“Home from home”

Millstones Country Hotel
Ranked #32 of 78 Plymouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 August 2016

I was in Plymouth for the weekend and from the minute I arrived to the minute I left I was well looked after by the excellent staff. As in the title it is a country hotel, small but very homely. The manager is very professional, my room was comfortable and spotless looking out onto the garden. Breakfast was served in the conservatory. There was a good choice, I opted for the full English. The manager`s daughter served breakfast. She is very knowledgeable on the area you are right on the edge of Dartmoor. I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel. Thank you for a relaxing stay.

Room Tip: All 7 rooms are good
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank michaelvernon1

Reviewed 31 July 2016

I have to start by telling you that the landlady was lovely. Very sweet indeed. And with a bit of confidence and training she will blossom into a great hostess, I am sure.

The downsides, however, are not so good and contrary to our belief - that the host had recently take on the hotel - having read the reviews, I am not so sure. So let me begin.

The booking process was simple, helpful and reassuring. A definite plus for the venue. When we arrived, some eight weeks later though, we were struck by the "meh" feeling when we pulled into the car park. There was so much potential but so little effort. Signage, lineage, planting, lighting, weeding - all issues to be resolved.

As indicated before, the landlady was very pleasant - albeit she didn't introduce herself or give us any information about the facilities in the hotel - and showed us to our twin room, which also accepted dogs, Room 2. Upon entering we were overwhelmed by the smell of damp and a quick shifty indicated that, sadly, this room was riddled with it.

A more in-depth study showed us that this room was very "tired" indeed and the evidence of this was found in the holes in the carpet, the dirty marks on the walls, the mould stains on the curtains and the mould on the walls. We were so upset, that I spent over two hours ringing around trying to find another room which would also accept dogs. I was unsuccessful and only later on that evening found out that "MTV Crashes Plymouth" event had taken over every available room in the area and was mostly to blame for our subsequent woes.

We were stuck there, so to speak and so we retired to bed. My bed was so damp, that I had to get a blanket from the car so that I could sleep on top of it. We awoke chilly and very unhappy.

Breakfast, though, was a delight. We didn't mind the pre-ordering system and it worked very efficiently for us. The poached eggs were a triumph and delicious to boot!

This hotel has the making of something fabulous - but they need help to get there! My advice is, for what it's worth - take the time to improve your offer to guests. Please! Do LOADS of research. And don't sell ANY rooms if they're not up to scratch!

Room Tip: Do not book room 2.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MissBoston444
Reviewed 22 July 2016 via mobile

When you spend a lot of time away, it's nice to get a local recommendation, rather than staying at a Premier Inn or Travelodge, again. This place is homely and very friendly, and I really liked it.

I stayed in room 1, which is quite small and a bit musty, but it was clean and nicely decorated, looked out over the lovely gardens and had a well-appointed bathroom. Also, there was loads of storage space, which the chain hotels usually don't have. The bed and bedding were clean and comfortable and I had an excellent night's sleep.

The staff were lovely, always friendly and smiling and willing to do that little bit extra to make my stay perfect.

Breakfast was included in the price, and freshly cooked, not a ghastly pre-cooked buffet. There was also a good range of fruit juices, yoghourts and cereals and very good coffee, all served with a cheerful small.

The price for this home from home was £79, inc. breakfast, which was £10 cheaper than the local Travelodge, without breakfast. This was excellent value for money and I will stay here again when I next visit Plymouth.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Pete M
Reviewed 17 July 2016

A late notice training course brings me to Plymouth, I found the Millstones on laterooms.com and it seemed the best value.
One night in a single room at the back of the hotel brought a quite restful nights sleep. A nice quirky hotel which I will return to if I'm in Plymouth again.
The manager was very helpful and welcoming and arranged to cook breakfast 15 minutes early due to my early departure.
A hotel with Great character and old fashion charm totally opposite to the steel and glass of newer hotels which lack sincer staff and character.

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

Great little hotel run by a lovely friendly lady. Clean and comfy with lots of public areas to relax larger than it looks from outside. Located on main road into Plymouth. I booked at short notice through a bookings site which can always be fraught but this was a nice surprise.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled on business