“what happened to staff training?”

The Marsh Mills Beefeater
Ranked #262 of 779 Restaurants in Plymouth
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 2 April 2018

What a waste of a perfect locality! For any traveller on their way to Cornwall this could be the ideal watering hole just a few minutes off the dual carriageway.
But it would appear that most of the staff and management have been given no training in customer awareness.
Stood for over ten minutes waiting to be served while the member of staff served the only other customer. At no time time did she or three other members of staff who wandered in from the adjoining bar make any recognition of my presence.
A simple nod and "sorry to keep you waiting" is all that is needed. Even when she needed help with the customer a member of management walked over, helped her with her problem and simply walked away.
Poor service equalled the quality of the food when it eventually arrived!

Ollie L, Manager at The Marsh Mills Beefeater, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2018

Dear Nigel P,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your review for The Marsh Mills Beefeater. I agree we are in the perfect location for any traveler heading towards Cornwall and do see many guests popping in to grab some lunch and recharge the batteries. It is based on this that I was extremely disappointed to read that you had a less than satisfactory recent visit with us.

I am unable to pinpoint the date you visited but it does sound as though waitresses from the restaurant side of the building were in the bar pouring drinks for their guests, unfortunately they wouldn't have been able to serve as they don't have the ability to access the bar tills. That being said, I agree that it would have been courteous to have acknowledged any waiting guests. This is something that I will be reiterating to my team as a matter of urgency.

If you would like to discuss your recent visit in further detail please contact me at Plymouth.marshmills@Whitbread.com

I really do hope you can give us another try if you're in the area again soon.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Food left to go cold before served, Then tried to reheat without me knowing, Absolutely outrageous. Staff more interested in setting up the next mornings breakfast bar than serving food! Three diners had to leave hungry again as this is NOT an isolated case for me or my friends and family. It really has earned itself a bad reputation and is only getting worse. Absolutely a no go area.

Dear Jago5000,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience of the Marsh Mills Beefeater.

I believe you visited us at 9pm on the 21st, a night in which all members of the management team became waiters for the day and donated all of their tips to Macmillan cancer support, the night in question was a huge success and I believe over £500 was raised.

You were indeed the last table of the evening and my colleagues were setting up for breakfast in the morning as we were almost empty at this time of the night.

I am afraid that as the manager on duty on this particular evening I do have to refute your version of events, though I respect your freedom and ability to post your account of the evening.

I am sorry we were unable to meet your expectations on recent visits.

Reviewed 20 March 2018

Poor quality food and overpriced. It was pub grub at its worst with restaurant prices.
Will not eat there again! Terribly disappointing.

Ollie L, Manager at The Marsh Mills Beefeater, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Dear Sally F,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Marsh Mills, I am sorry we let you down this time.

Unfortunately you didn't provide many details in your review so I am unable to pinpoint where or when things went wrong but I really hope you can give us another chance.

We feel we provide good value for money. Our daytime value menu offers a selection of dishes from £4.99 including our £6 Flat Iron Steak. In addition, we offer unlimited refills on chips, vegetables, salad and selected soft drinks.

Beefeater reward club member also benefit from vouchers throughout the year including 50% off vouchers, free birthday meals and a free bottle of wine on their anniversary.

Finally, if you have any children in the family, you can take advantage of our kids eat free breakfast promotion, available seven days a week.

I hope you can take advantage of some of our promotions and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

We hired the function room for my daughters surprise Baby Shower. The room was plenty big enough,We got there early to decorate the room and the staff were on hand if we needed anything. We got a buffet for 20 ppl wow the food just kept coming so much of it, plenty of variety. Very impressed as was our friends. We overstayed our time there but Beefeater staff were great no rush to kick us out. Overall my daughter had a lovely day so did our friends. A big thank you to all the staff, who were helpful and friendly. Well done Beefeater.

Dear Sue H,

Tiff and the team were delighted to read your feedback. I am so happy you all had an enjoyable baby shower.
Please remember us if you ever have another party or function in the future, we would love to see you all again.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

Where do i start ,used to go down to the beefeater a lot in the past haven't been down for a while as have been away, the place could do with a good clean ,toilets a bit smelly, meal was poor quality and luke warm ,steak was chewy and fatty expensive, won't go back again feel like I've been ripped off

Dear chris060553,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent visit to The Marsh Mills. It sounds as though we didn't get things right on this occasion and I am really sorry about that.

Our toilets have been refurbished in the past week and that includes new flooring, repairs to the cubicles and an overall deep clean.

With regards to the quality of your meal, I really do hope you brought this to the attention of a member of the team so they were able to provide you with a fresh meal. It is very rare that we encounter quality issues with our steaks but on the rare occasion a customer finds they have a chewy cut of steak, we always replace without quibble.

I do hope you can give us another chance in the near future. Why not pop down for lunch and try our £6 Flat Iron steak from the daytime value menu.