“Friendly atmosphere, delicious food”
Review of Serendipity

Serendipity
Ranked #101 of 353 Restaurants in Torquay
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We're a local, dog friendly restaurant that specializes in Tapas and wine, as well as providing classic English lunch time meals. Positioned at the bottom of Torquay Town, and a five minute walk from the beach, we provide the perfect hideaway for anyone looking to escape the hustle and bustle for a few hours. Come in and help yourself to a comfy sofa, a newspaper and some of our commended coffee and nibbles!
Reviewed 29 May 2017

When one of your party is a coeliac, finding filling food at lunchtime can be difficult. So it was indeed serendipity when we found this establishment, nestled away in Torquay.

The first member of the staff you will probably meet when you visit is Charlie (the big brown labrador) who is utterly charming and a credit to the restaurant, his temperament is clearly modelled on his owners though since from the moment you walk through the door, the staff make you feel like a local and valued customer.

The food arrived promptly after ordering but is still clearly homemade. The bolognese was absolutely delicious and slightly sweet with the tang of fresh garlic, my friends ordered a baked potato - which when it came was the size of your head, and a gluten free meatball dish (which was the same price as the gluten-containing variety and also apparently scrumptious).

For a small place, the menu is varied and especially good for those who cannot tolerate gluten.

The puddings we ordered included a chocolate cake and a toffee cake. I cannot fault the toffee cake, in fact, I would probably trade my first-born for the recipe. At the moment they do not offer gluten free desserts but I doubt this will always be the case.

All the dishes were very reasonably priced (especially for the area). I would also like to add that the bathroom is impeccably clean - which I think is very telling for a restaurant. This place provided me with the best food I had during my week stay in Devon and the best restaurant experience I have had in my life. Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area.

Reviewed 23 May 2017

This little cafe offers good quality food at a reasonable price.
It's child and dog friendly and kept very well.

Reviewed 10 April 2017 via mobile

Lovely little cafe with great staff. The homemade food was wonderful, definitely recommended! Highly recommend

Reviewed 18 February 2017

Decided to give this establishment a try because my husband and I wanted a light, snack lunch.

We we greeted upon entry and made to feel welcome (by, I assumed, the husband of the owner). Being the only ones in there, we were served immediately.

It was nice and clean inside with pleasant decor.

The menu choice was not very big, but so long as you like soups, sandwiches, cakes etc, then there is nothing wrong with that.

The cooking appeared to be done on the floor above because our sandwiches were brought down by someone else.

I ordered a toasted cheese and tomato sandwich and the bread was very nice but I did find it very greasy, too much butter or something for my taste. It left me feeling a bit queasy.

My husband really enjoyed the toasted sandwich he ordered.

Reviewed 14 January 2017

Looking for a place for lunch and didn't want to go to a chain, so looked around and choose Serendipity. Good choice, friendly couple who run it, good food, sandwiches and hot drinks, very tasty, and good service. All in all glad we dropped in, would go back if in the area again