“Exceptional hotel”
Review of Abbey Court Hotel

Abbey Court Hotel
Ranked #71 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 17 September 2015 via mobile

Hi this hotel is very clean and the food is good and very friendly staff well worth stopping here, bus stop is right outside the driveway it has a heated swimming pool the rooms are bright and I would not hesitate to come here again it is a little bit out of town but not to far and there is car parking !

Stayed: September 2015, travelled on business
Karmjit P, Owner at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2015

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind and encouraging comments and we value them.
Once again thank you.

Reviewed 17 September 2015

Hotel is lovely and clean that is the only bonus, on arrival ,there are steps to the entrance of reception, which was a struggle after a 7 and a half journey. Expecting a nice meal to ease the stress, and what do we get watery tomato,soup, a basic main meal, no tea or coffee if you wanted one you had to pay at the bar, This is the first trip ive been on when you have to pay for this after a meal.

The outside pool was not heated as advertised, and yes we had lovely weather so a dip would have been nice. Access to the pool area was poor, very steep steps down to this.

The poor waiter was rushed of his feet, and when my partner asked where is fried bread was on the plate, he came back stating there was none, although toast was being bought out all the time. If you wanted sauces, ie mayo or tartare sauce, the waiter spooned it on the plate for you. It is quite obvious that the owner is penny pinching on food, and staff. Not a nice experience good job the weather was good

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Dawn H

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write a review of your experience at the Abbey Court Hotel. I would assure you that and we work as a team and we are very proud of our loyal staff . Our Chef has been with us now for over sixteen years. I particularly regret your comments regarding the purchase of tea & coffee after the meal from the bar. You have to remember that you came in group on a special offer discounted deal and in these circumstances it is not always possible for a business to absorb the costs of every single service/item; I am sorry that I have to make a mention of this.

Reviewed 27 August 2015

We went on a coach trip and to be honest the old saying you get what you pay for is apt and considering it was August when most hotels are more expensive o.k..
Having said that the room was kept clean and it was spacious. The proprietor was usually around and attentive. The staff were very hard working and the food was o.k.

If you are disabled you would not be able to get down to the pool as it is down about 15 steps. The pool is can only be used for a few hours a day which according to the hotel is due to local bye laws. I was a bit surprised at that. Also you have to be able to swim to use it which I thought was fair enough.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank susanne_huckle

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your observations. But for the record, I should mention that for health & safety reasons Torbay Council has put some conditions on the use of the pool because, as you will know, it is 2m deep and has steeper gradient going from 1m depth from the roman steps side to the deeper end. Further I recall you were also made aware that on your free days you could use the pool for much longer hours than just over two hours as on your usual excursion days out on the coach. Thank you for coming to the Abbey Court Hotel.

Reviewed 11 August 2015

I don't normally make reviews but I feel compelled to do so after staying at Abbey Court. I stay in hotels for business 3 times a week nationwide and maybe I have been spoiled by this. On arrival I was informed of some house rules, such as the pool was only to be used between midday and 5pm, bang goes a refreshing morning swim or an early evening dip! Breakfast was between 8.30am and 9am, thanks for the option of a lie in over the weekend!
Room 29 is a triumph if you like to pretend that you are in a hostel, 1 key available so if you are sharing, don't stray too far apart. Don't worry though, if you twist the handle and give a sharp push, the door will open with barely a sound, this led to me have to hide my valuables in my car and carry my car keys everywhere during my stay. The plastic sheet covering the mattress is a nice touch, just in case I develop the ability not to control my bodily functions which haven't let me down to date for reference.
Room 29 was shabby, decorated in the style of a late 80's B&B, sash window hardly opened, no aircon or fan, curtains had long since given up the ability to block any sunlight and had the sound insulation of a paper bag. The en suite was in keeping with the room with its peach coloured sanitary wear, grotty non slip mat that I wasn't going to give the opportunity to give me any type of new to man disease. The shower fitting and pipe over the plug end of the bath was attached to the dual tap fitting which true to form didn't work properly as the diverter valve could not cope with he low water pressure. It was either all hot, all cold or pumping intermittently depending on what other guests were doing with their meagre water supply. And for an added entertainment, don't plan on using the toilet without being ready for a strenuous and lengthy workout in trying to flush the contents. I have seen water pressure issues have been flagged as an issue in previous reviews but if I could suggest an inexpensive in line water pump, this issue should disappear.
Breakfast, don't expect an all you can eat feast of delicious produce with an extensive choice of continental, cereals, fresh fruits and expertly cooked traditional fry up. A small plate of barely edible fried food, greasy old eggs, cremated bacon, soggy fried potatoes, fried bread that could resist a plasma cutter. The tea and toast were ok, the coffee abysmal. There was a choice of eggs but that was it, your choice of rubber fried egg, sloppy scrambled or poached to a rock hard consistency, but at least they will make you regular. Drink top ups if you were brave enough were nigh on impossible to get due to the obvious language barrier between a speaker of the Queen's English and a couple of east European waitresses who were trying their best. The breakfast room is dated, poorly decorated, functional but shabby, I really found the huge liquid stain on the ceiling interesting which I assume was the reason for the plastic bed sheets. How much does a pot of paint and a brush cost?
While encountering our first breakfast at Abbey Court, strictly on time between 8.30am & 9am (which incidentally I nearly missed as I had to attempt to flush the toilet at 8.25am) as instructed by the owners. We as a group were berated by the lady of the house because they had been woken that night by guests ringing the bell to get in, I would suggest that they get a couple of keys cut per room and this issue will go away and did so to a claim that this couldn't be done for security reasons. They could charge a deposit on the keys or even a keypad system fitted if there was an issue but this would probably be a bit too much of a stretch for the management. We got to listen to the owner moan about her staff and guests while barking out her orders in the kitchen ( I would suggest a basic customer service course as she has the customer service qualities only previously encountered in a flea pit in darkest Vietnam), kept asking when the rest of the party were coming down for breakfast as the 9am cut off was looming ( I am not their keeper and no one expected half hour service window) and wanting to know when we were likely to be in hotel so she could decide to open the bar or not (doesn't really allow the option to be spontaneous), staff are expensive you know!
The rooms were not cleaned or made up during our stay (a request for clean towels was complained about to one member of our party) and to make us feel even more welcome, check out was at 10am on a Sunday. At least we were all out and ready for Sunday service at the local church after a repeat of the grim food and poor service.
All in all, you may be picking up that I am unlikely to choose the Abbey Court Hotel again in the lovely town of Torquay. You would be right. This place is not much more than grotty B&B with more similarities to Fawlty Towers than a decent B&B. I have only rated this hotel as poor because Ken seemed like a nice bloke and I genuinely feel for him having to deal the Boss all day, the towels were clean and there was a small bag of toiletries so I wouldn't want to call the place terrible!
This place has a lot of stairs and during our stay the lift broke down, these things happen but if you need a lift, it is no good having a broken one. this seems to by symptomatic of our experience at Abbey Court, there in a dire need for maintenance and refurbishment.
I am sorry if he owners feel I am too critical and I fully expect a woolly answer and sharp denial as per most of the responses to reviews given. I realise that Abbey Court is your pride and joy and I am sure it was a palace in 1985 but take it from a regular hotel dweller, this place is a disgrace, your house rules are prohibitive, the people skills displayed to fee paying guests are abysmal and the chances off repeat business are highly unlikely despite some of the reviews that have been recorded. They are either set up or from guests who have only just come out of their caravans and feel at home in substandard accommodation. The building could be so much more if sympathetically decorated and managed to be welcoming instead of based on an idea of what a seaside hotel was in the 80's.
Why didn't I bring this up while I was there you may ask? Truthfully, the responses I had received to questions over house rules and the general apathy toward the guests made me feel like it would have been a pointless exercise and would have led to confrontation. How do you tell a couple they have an ugly baby? It's not the done thing and will lead to a row. It's still an ugly baby though!
Take it or leave it, the review is based on genuine observations and I expect it to be pulled from the review sections,Owners you know it is the truth.
I could have been more critical but I haven't, feel free to defend your business but if anything take the review and have a think about the issues constructively as I wasn't the only one with these thoughts after our stay.
To make this clear, I would not recommend this to friends or even enemies, people are paying hard earned money for a substandard product, just don't book here!

Stayed: August 2015
4  Thank Banny69
Karmjit P, Owner at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2015

Dear Guest,

I note your comments and I am very sorry that we clearly failed to meet your expectations & standards. But, I have to mention that we do not claim to provide a buffet breakfast or services of a night porter. With regard to the outdoor pool we have to meet the conditions of use of the pool for health & safety reasons. We feel we provide a value for money service. In this connection my real regret is that you did not raise these concerns during your stay at the hotel when I could have been much more helpful. Once again I am so sorry.

Reviewed 8 August 2015

We stayed at Abbey Court in room 8, as part of a Leisuretime bargain break in early August. Having paid just £169 each for 4 nights dinner, bed & breakfast, including coach travel from Wales, we were not expecting the Ritz! What we got was a clean, friendly and welcoming establishment, with much better food than expected for a 2* hotel.
Breakfast and dinner were waitress served and there was a choice of 2 hot meals or salads. Vegetarians or special diets were available on request. Extra butter, toast, and preserves were also available on request. The waitress was very sweet and helpful.
Bedrooms were clean with duvets, good pillows, and spare blankets in the wardrobe. A problem with the single bed in our room was rectified the same day. I was disappointed with the bathroom, some rooms had showers but ours had a bath with a rubber hand shower which you attached to the taps, ok for hair washing but not for a stand up shower! Tea and coffee and milk portions were provided in the room however if you wanted extra milk there was a charge of 5p per pot.
The swimming pool and terrace were clean but unfortunately the pool did not appear to be heated as advertised. A little too chilly for me though other guests did brave it!
There was entertainment in the form of singers provided on 3 of the 4 nights we were there. They were ok though something with a little more audience interaction like a quiz or even bingo would have broken the monotony.
There was a bus stop immediately outside the hotel which made independent excursions easy for anyone with walking difficulties.
The only major downside of the hotel for me was the lack of wifi. However for a budget break I would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear overlook the pool