“5day break”
Review of Abbey Court Hotel

Abbey Court Hotel
Ranked #72 of 86 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 18 July 2016

We have just returned from 5 day break and for what we paid it was fine.Food was good and Chris and Camilla especially were most helpful and friendly rooms basic but very clean and had all you needed location good bus stops right outside and across road for several locations very handy,bonus of swimming pool to use when weather good.

Room Tip: Room at back 2 floor
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lin13238
Karmjit P, Owner at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2016

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay at the Abbey Court; we value your comments.

Reviewed 8 July 2016

the room 9was very poor with a ancient small tubed television,furniture was before gplan the side of the wardrobe was acorched where the kettle boiled toilet seat was very loose and two different colours you had flush the handle three times to wash your stuff away no room to swing a cat (we left her at home) bed like a brick decore was fiftys style infact the whole hotel was. the pool was okay but steep steps down to it, the staff well one young girl was very good run off her feet most of the time I will not be going back and I will getting in touch with david urquart

• Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alan F

Dear Guests,

I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. Yes, the room 9 is a double room but comparatively small; it happens to be at the end of a corridor with larger rooms on the south & north facing sides. I note your other comments and would mention that we are process of refurbishing and replacing the old TV sets. Once again, my apologies for your disappointing stay at the hotel.

Reviewed 28 June 2016 via mobile

Okay have read the other reviews and didn't think they were all that bad and really when we got there everything was looking good bedroom was fine bed harder than I expected but have to admit they really need to do something about the bathroom's most of the people there with us were over 65 many over 75 and to expect them to climb into a bath to shower is not on and the shower's in most rooms were the type you fix to the taps ah well at least the food was great and the happy hour was enjoyed by all had a great time in Torquay lovely area

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Karmjit P, Owner at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2016

Dear Guest,

We do not have many walk in showers. But we do recognize this problem of managing the shower over bath tubs. We are making a slow progress towards overcoming this issue. I thank you for your kind words in connection with the food and bar tariff.

Reviewed 11 June 2016

Where do I start ,my husband is on oxergen which was to be delivered to hotel, it hadn't come so I asked the owner if I could use the phone to find out what happened to the delivery ,I said it was a free phone number,she said she only had a mobile end of conversation,we asked for more pillows as my husband can't lie flat they never came,the room was cleanish though very old fashion.The food was not good even though the reviews were good ,I was served up place which was supposed to be in bread crumbs it was disgusting on the last evening they served cod in batter if you could find any fish what was there was mixed fish and dark ,there was no atmosphere at all in the hotel not enough staff had the cook serving at tables and the waitress was rushed off her feet she was very nice our room was on ground floor room 5 it was a big room and quite cold on the first night so asked if we could have the heating on at night it was put on next morning left on all day when we were out for two days even when the sun was out but turned off when we needed it so all in all didn't like the hotel at all

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
3  Thank gwentrose
Karmjit P, Owner at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2016

Dear Guest,

I regret that your stay was not to your satisfaction. I am sorry but the delivery & lifting of medical gases is not the responsibility of a hotel as you can imagine we are not trained in care home arrangements. However, I am aware that my staff did provide extra pillows and I would assure you that our Chef is popular with the guests and always excels in his service to the guests. I apologise for your disappointed stay.

Reviewed 31 May 2016

Only stayed one night, bank holiday Saturday, booked it late the night before travelling. Arrived early 10.30am, room not ready(didn't expect it to be). We were allowed to leave our car in the car park and headed out for the day. Returned tea time and was shown to our room in the basement (No4). Whilst the owner was showing us to our room I thought 'oh no' the basement. However to our delight the room was huge, light, airy, clean and French doors opened up onto the lovely garden and outdoor pool. The bed was comfortable, the toilet seat was loose, but this wasn't a problem.
The breakfast was good and plentiful. Service was ok, not really an issue, the staff work hard trying to satisfy everyone. The breakfast time was 8.30 am so everyone in the hotel (full when we stayed) arrived at the same time, which doesn't help.
The owner was a pleasant chap who showed you the facilities and took us to our room.
The hotel also has a lift for people who have difficulty climbing stairs.
The location is approximately a 5-7 minute walk up a small hill from the sea front.
Would definitely go back, would request room No4.

Room Tip: Basement rooms open onto the garden and outdoor pool.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
Karmjit P, Owner at Abbey Court Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2016

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind words; we all do our best to make your stay as enjoyable as we can. Whilst writing I would mention that the hotel is built on a small hill and Room 4 is on the lower ground floor from the South side and the basement is yet below this floor.
We would be pleased to allocate this room again to you on your next visit to us. Thank you again for your review.