“Lovely weekend!”

Ranked #16 of 66 Hotels in Bournemouth
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Lovely weekend!”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

Stayed at this hotel in January 2012 for a friends 40th birthday. Rooms were lovely and the hospitality was second to none. The function room hired was great, but I have to say that the food was absolutely gorgeous - the Roast Tomato and basil soup was to die for but each course was lovely!!!!!!! The best ever and I would gladly pay the rates just for the soup!! GOod location, clean, comfortable and affordable. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
thehotelroyale, Owner at Best Western Hotel Royale, responded to this review, 24 February 2012
Clare C
Thank you so much for the lovely comments about the hotel and our food! James our head chef is always delighted to see customers take the trouble to write in and say nice things about his food! I know that he has sent you the recipe for the soup but I hope that will not stop you returning to stay with us in Bournemouth. From all the staff a huge thanks for the review it is much appreciated.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
Poznan, Poland
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Well, once again I am a bit dissapointed about the Best Western. My room was really old and small. It was a bit cold in the night and I couldn’t switch on the heating. TV was old, just like all the furnitures. Really low/average standard. Also, the breakfast was not the best. When it comes to good things: low price in the low season, decent location, wifi working fine and for free both in my room, as well as in the lobby; friendly and helpful staff. All in all, if you look for something cheaper take it, but don’t expect too much.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jerzy N
Jerzy N
Thank you for your overall positive comments and I am so sorry that you thought it fair to call us low standard! We have over the past few years of our ownership invested very substantially in the fabric of the building and its facilities. It is really disheartening to read your title and I do apologise that you felt we did not meet your expectations. On the other hand you did say some nice things about us for which I thank you - it is always good to see a constructive review

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my 17 year old son the night before his interview at University (about 2 miles away) in February 2012
We were warmly greeted on arrival and given our keys. Our room was chalet style with a double bed (mine!) and a larger single bed (his). The room was warm and cleanly presented. We used the indoor swimming pool which was located in a building of its own about 20 yards from our room. This was great and warm, despite the near freezing temperatures outside (our visit was in Feb). Within walking distance were dozens of restaurants, mainly the ASK, PIZZA EXPRESS, CAFE ROUGE, Chinese, Greek, Lebanase type of places and not high end.
Beds were comfortable. Shower/bathroon was good.
Next morning the cooked breakfast was very good, the buffet was extensive and a great start to the day. The staff at breakfast were very attentive and the service very good.
This was a nice stay, very cost effective, the hotel was actually better than we had expected, and we have no hesitation in recommending it.

Room Tip: Chalet rooms, while outside the main hotel was practically next door to the pool which was in its ow...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
LarryGS
Thank you so much for taking the trouble to write this positive review about us! I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with your son and wish him every success with his university applications! I hope he decides to come to Bournemouth University so that you will have a good excuse to revisit us! Many thanks again it really cheers us all up to read favourable and helpful feedback.

SE England
Reviewed 3 February 2012

This is one of the best experiences we have had in a UK hotel. Not much you could fault! Very good quality food, we particularly liked the chicken and ham pie, risotto and the sticky toffee. Excellent value from beginning to end! We found it great that the hotel is located 5 mins from the beach and 10 from the centre, but still quiet enough. All members of staff that we encountered were very polite, friendly and helpfull! We would definitely return and would recomend the hotel to anyone!

Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank alx1
thehotelroyale, Owner at Best Western Hotel Royale, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Aix1
It is always so nice to start the day with such a positive and complimentary review for which I thank you. The staff were very touched by your comments and it is most refreshing when people write a review because they thought it was good rather than only ever commenting when they feel let down.
Please keep recommending us and come back and see us soon - we love customers like you!!

Kind regrads

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Let's start with advice, don't put your coat or scarf on until you ENTER the room or you won't feel the benefit!!!! Overall adequate hotel, but I am writing this after having to abandon my room at 5am on one of this winters coldest nights as it is simply too cold to sleep. NO heating is on and it is now 6am, the windows are 1940's missen hut steel ones that don't shut properly and that isn't helping. Never in my life have I ever had to don clothing and march to reception in the early hours to beg for heating and complain, to add insult to injury the main corridor by the lift is like the Caribbean in comparison and despite using the additional blanket I found in the wardrobe I am now considering dragging that out and kipping out there for warmth. Roll on 8am so I can leave and get the heating on in the car. Consider only if its less than £30 AND you're desperate, if its winter bring your own electric heater you apparently WILL need it.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank steven2405
Steven 2405
I am so sorry to read that you were so cold during your stay at the hotel. I have investigated the matter and the plumbers fortunately found a seized valve on the radiator - so whilst I do apologise whole heartedly I also thank you for bringing this to my attention. We do keep the heating boilers on 24 hours a day at the moment and also offer supplementary electric heaters for those who enjoy high temperatures in their rooms.
Please accept our profuse apologies for your cold stay and perhaps you will consider returning so we can set the record straight and keep you warm as toast for the night!