“Popular foodie pub”

Ranked #41 of 807 Restaurants in Bournemouth
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

One of the few survivors of the many pubs which used to ring Bournemouth, this roadhouse situated on one of the busiest roundabouts in the area has successfully reinvented itself as a gastropub. Owned by the Hall & Woodhouse Brewery (aka Badger), it stocks a good selection of local ales, a wide selection of gins plus the usual selection of other drinks. Food is good here, and the main attraction for the many who come here. Not the easiest of places to get into, and certainly not somewhere you would want to sit outside of, it's very comfortable inside. Good, efficient, friendly staff and still retaining something of a "locals" feel. Recommended

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Food exceptionally good. Vegan burger was the best I have tasted. Both gluten-free and vegan choices were the best we have come across. Lovely, friendly and well-informed staff. Book in advance as this is a popular place!

Lisa W, Owner at The Bear Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi Jill

Thank you for the review. We all ate many vegan burgers while we were perfecting the recipe - glad you enjoyed it. We are starting trials on some new vegan recipes - should be available late April or early May. Look forward to seeing you next time.

Lisa

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I’ve just returned from a family meal and must say am so disappointed! We have been going to the Bear Cross for many years and it has always been great. Tonight the staff were still very good and attentive but the food was terrible. I heard the waitress mentioning a new chef and can only think this is the reason.
The braised beef my mum and husband had was so dry and sauce lacked the normal rich taste. My cod was so tasteless and Parmesan crust not like usual at all. Sauce also so bland. My sisters burger was a saving grace but really sad it was not the normal tasty meal we have come to expect.

1  Thank Jo W
Lisa W, Owner at The Bear Cross, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Jo

Thank you for sending in a review, we always like to know how we are doing. I am sorry you were disappointed this time. Honestly nothing should have changed as we still have many of the same kitchen team that we have had for years. I will look into all aspects of your review and make sure that our specifications are being followed so that the standards you have previously enjoyed are met. I am pleased that the service you received was as per usual. I would like to speak to you personally so that I can make amends so if you would email your number to thebearcross@gmail.com I will contact you directly. I do hope to hear from you soon.

Lisa

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We had a friend recommend this venue for a birthday lunch and 6 of us had a very enjoyable meal in relaxing and spacious surroundings.

Both the specials menu and the regular menu had an excellent excellent choice of freshly cooked food with fresh tasty vegetables.

We appreciated the opportunity to select a smaller option as not all of us wanted the full size portions.

We did appreciate the generous space between the tables, in far too many venues there is no room to move between tables as chairs are crammed in to get as many people seated to the extant that privacy and the ability to walk between seated groups is compromised.

Well done and thank you team Bear Cross

1  Thank David T
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We decided to have dinner here and we were not disappointed. The food was really good as was the service . Recommend that you book a table as they were busy, but where we were sat we were not disturbed by other tables . We will be returning .

1  Thank rainbow1poole