“I just don't know!”
Review of Abyssinia

Abyssinia
Ranked #272 of 1,189 Restaurants in Brighton
Price range: US$5 - US$13
Description: The first of its kind in Brighton, Abyssinia brings you traditional Ethiopian food, authentically prepared with fresh ingredients. Our menu consists of spicy beef and chicken dishes and includes a variety of vegetarian and vegan options, ranging from milder tastes to extremely hot flavours.
Reviewed 5 November 2016

I am not Ethiopian so don't know if food was good or not. It tasted lovely. However I ordered Gomez Besiga, but it was not on the bone as menu stated. Overall, there was very little meat in either of the dishes so , even after allowing for skilled preparation, @£9 for small portions, it's not worth it! The salad, as stated,is dressed in oil and juices. It would be more accurate to describe as "swimming" in juices and oil. Be aware.

Reviewed 31 October 2016 via mobile

If you were to judge a restaurant by its food alone this would score higher although not much. The service was well meaning but slow an hour and a half for our food to arrive would have been okay had it been excellent , it wasn't it was good though but not outstanding and some of it was lukewarm. It is BYO , no problem there but if you go here be aware that means glasses bottle opener corkscrew cutlery plates and napkins! Decor was rough. So a complete write off? Well no , some of the food was very good ,reasonably priced and the atmosphere was A1. Would I go again , not for me sorry. Would I recommend it , well yes but in a smaller group and on a less busy day.

Reviewed 17 October 2016

Although it is nice to have Ethiopian food in Brighton at last. The food served at this venue leaves me wanting. I have visited twice now with a similar Experience both times. For starters Ethiopian food is spicier than what the venue serves, I can also sense they do not use the Unique Ethiopian butter that is a mainstay in most of the restaurants I tried in London, On my last visit the food served to my friend can even be described as slightly off but am not sure so dont take my word on this. The Decor of the place can do with some love too.

Giving credit where it is due, the Enjera is super, so fresh! Could get enough. Have not had the coffee ceremony so cant comment on this. Good value for money if the food was up to the standard I have come to expect from an Ethiopian restaurant. Lovely Owners.

All in all My bubble is Burst, My expectations may have been lofts but either way I wont visit many times if that is the norm. I dont care what the place looks like but no excuse for the food quality.

Reviewed 17 October 2016

Honestly, I could not recommend this place enough. There were 9 of us and we all had the vegetarian selection. It was divine and the waiter there was lovely.

BYOB too which is always helpful!

Reviewed 17 October 2016

Had a really excellent meal we had one meat, one veggie meal, both were absolutely delicious. Note that it is cash only at the moment and BYO which is a bonus!