Artist Residence Brighton
Legends Hotel(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$84
  • Breakfast included
Jurys Inn Brighton(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$128
US$124
  • Restaurant
Ibis Brighton City Centre Station(Brighton)(Great Value!)
US$74
US$93
PremierInn.com
  • Bar/Lounge
1,175 results
All reviewscocktail shackregency squaretiny artyroberts radioping pong roomsea viewquirky hotellocal artistswest pierold westbasement roombreakfast was includedbigger roomcomfy bedtea and coffeefull englishbreakfast was amazing
Reviewed 31 March 2018

We had heard a lot about the Artist Residence, so were looking forward to a couple of days away. This is the "original" Artist Residence, and was probably impressive in it's day, however given the current rapid expansion of this hotel "chain", and our experience as guests, it appears that the focus of the business has shifted to new ventures elsewhere, rather on providing something special in the place where it all began.

Parking is a challenge, so when we arrived and asked for advice at reception the disinterested attitude of staff was disappointing. Perhaps we should have known better than to drive to Brighton, and after some obscure hints about possible parking options, we were advised to queue up for the local underground car park. Fortunately it only took half an hour (and £18 a day) to get parked, but since this was a chilly March weekend I have no idea what happens on a warm summer day.

The room was satisfactory, but over-heated, and the windows close poorly so it often sounds as if the seagulls have come to share the hospitality.

The banister on the stairs had a sharp nail sticking out of it which sliced a chunk out of an index finger. We reported it at reception, whilst dripping blood on the carpet, and were offered a plaster and an apology. 24 hours later, however, it still hadn't been fixed or even taped over.

Breakfast was interminable. Perhaps true artists don't mind if it takes 90 minutes to get some orange juice and granola, but most hotel guests seem to prefer prompt service and a decent meal to start the day, rather than a "pay-per-item" approach to every cup of coffee and slice of toast.

Overall, a disappointing experience that didn't reflect the reputation of the hotel. There seemed to be more of an interest in attracting passing trade to the bar and restaurant, and and the development of new venues in distant settings, than on providing a good hotel and decent service in Brighton.

Room Tip: A lot of the rooms are very noisy; the top of the hotel has less noise from people, but more squawks from seagulls.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
ArtistResidenceHotel, General Manager at Artist Residence Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Hi Jonathan B,

Thank you for writing to us about your experience at Artist Residence Brighton, I am very sad to hear that you felt disappointed with your stay.

Artist Residence is run by a high standard of working ethics where all our staff try our hardest to go out of our way for our guests where ever we can and especially if anything is needed, we pride ourselves on our friendly hard working team who are working constantly to maintain our happy guests and therefore it is reflected by our happy staff.

I clearly remember your arrival to us on a busy Saturday when the parking in Brighton was horrendous ( it usually is unfortunately especially in such a tourist spot where the i360 is ) We always like to be as helpful and recommend the best options to our guest before their arrival if we can or if we are asked.

I completely understand your frustration however of having such a long journey and then having to queue in the only car park available, after talking to your wife about options, and ringing another parking company 6 times for her, to find they were full I had to advise to stay at carpark you where already at.
Again I am very sorry that there wasn't many other options available in that situation and that our efforts where dismissed, I can only sympathise with the stress of driving and having to queue.

I will pass on your feedback about Breakfast to The Set Restaurant and I hope you got a chance top speak to someone if the service was slow, so that they could redeem the situation, as I know its our aim to keep our guests happy especially if it's to help with a fault of our own.

Seagulls are a classic to Brighton so I agree they come to share in the hospitality where ever we are, and with The Artist Residence being situated in a Grade Two listed building we unfortunatly cannot invest in double glazed windows which I understand could help with the noise.

I really appreciate your comments and feed back as it is integral to our company to keep improving and developing, It's also important for us to understand our guests experience and try if we can to amend them, therefore we do wish we had the chance to talk to you before your departure here at Artist Residence Brighton to discuss any issues you had in person and to allow us to redeem what and where we can.

Please feel free to email me personally if there is anything else I can help with or if there is anything else you wanted to discuss as I would love to be able to have the chance in changing your opinion of our place, nevertheless I thank you for taking the time and leaving your review.

Kind Regards

Tara

tara@artistresidence.co.uk

Reviewed 25 March 2018

I love this place so much that I don't really want anyone else to know how fabulous it is so I can have it all to myself! It always feels cosy, warm and welcoming, and all the staff are delightful, the food delicious, breakfast a delight, and the ambience perfect. I will always stay here when I go to Brighton - it is a joy in my life!

Room Tip: Have a look at the website!
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Haha18

Hi helenaeden2018,

Thank you very much for leaving us a review, it's great to hear all our guests feedback, and it's really integral to feedback to my team, who will be delighted to hear your response.

We love our returning guests too and similar faces, so look forward to your return.

Kind Regards

Tara,

Jenny, Moni , Ruby and the ARB team

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

Small, clever...
Artistic and very proffesional.
Stuff is amazing.
Grow.
All over the world.
Your concept is working, your price is fair.
You deserve it.
Like sleeing in an art.
Even the radio in the room was turned right.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
ArtistResidenceHotel, Manager at Artist Residence Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Hi Adi,

Wow what a fab review!
Thank you that you stayed with us and we're glad you liked it here!
We hope you enjoyed your time in Brighton and that you will visit us again soon!

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

Took a sneeky one nighter to explore Brighton with my young teenage daughter and were lucky enough to get a last minute cancellation at this hotel. Cosy, quirky, dark and the most snuggly, comfortable beds ever! My daughter loved it. Each room is individually themed in the style of a different artist. We were in the Ben Allen, a triple room with double + cabin single bed. The service was personal and caring. Central location to everything you could wish to see in Brighton. Lovely atmosphere, fabulous cafe and cocktail bar and serving totally scrumptious breakfasts. We couldn't have wished for anything more.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Hi Heather,

Sounds like you and your daughter had a great stay with us and we're really happy about it!
We're proud of our quirkiness and glad you noticed and liked it too.
Thank you for your review, it's such a great compliment!
Hopefully you will come back soon!

Reviewed 16 March 2018

Lucky enough to to secure a room overlooking the fabulous Regency Square, the sea, and the 360 Tower. Being able to lift the floor to ceiling sash window, and climb out onto the cast-iron fronted balcony in order to sip wine and smile somewhat smugly...couldn't be beaten.
It gets better! The interior decor and layout of the building produced more satisfied smiles, with the much-researched restaurant finally knocking my socks off. What an amazing package: position, period building, creative and exciting food, and happy staff.I am sad to deduct a star for the fact that there was a massive gap between the super reclaimed, sliding door, and the loo area...I like privacy.
Nevertheless, I am booking again within the next couple of days.

Room Tip: A balcony was a must for me.
Stayed: February 2018, travelled with family
ArtistResidenceHotel, Manager at Artist Residence Brighton, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Hi Penny,

Thank you for your review and your smiles! :) We are glad you liked our hotel and you will come back!
Sipping wine in our balcony overlooking to the square and sea sounds like heaven, doesn't it?!
I forward your socks' knocking review to the restaurant too, loving it!

Hopefully then see you soon!