“Mediocre”

Ranked #434 of 675 Restaurants in Portsmouth
Price range: US$16 - US$24
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in the Royal Marines Museum on the Esplanade on the Seafront at Eastney, Portsmouth.
Reviewed 4 July 2015 via mobile

We came across this nostalgic place but when we arrived at the cafe there wasn't much left. We did manage a cream scone and Eccles cake. However due to the heat our outside table was accompanied by an army of ants. It was still ok to visit and the lads were very friendly. The shop was interesting too.

Reviewed 13 June 2015

This cafe is part of the Royal Marines Museum on the Esplanade in Southsea.

It is laid out as a kitchen, with pictures of the Marines dating from 1902 on the walls

Tables large and small, all covered in green plasic cloths. Sounds bad but, take my word for it, the Kitchen is not tacky or grubby or yucky, it is . . . . . . . atmospheric.

Everywhere was clean
We were served tea and toasted teacakes by a very friendly and helpful lad.
The teacakes are huge and you get enough butter to do the job. A bit more jam would not go amiss though!
The tea (cup, mug or pot, your choice), is good (we went for mugs)

On top of this, it is not expensive, it's a good value place to eat.

A nice break before going on to the next visit.

Reviewed 29 April 2015

If this establishment entered a competition for Pompeys grubbiest restaureant it would have a good chance of winning. If you are tempted to cross its threshold look around before committing yourself to sitting at a table. Its a blot on the landscape and would make the proverbial quartermaster turn in his grave. from its crumb covered plastic table cloths to the scruffy waiting staff.Cant even start to talk about the food. Give it a miss !

1  Thank John19B
Reviewed 7 January 2015

This is the only place I choose when going for breakfast which is usually twice a month. The food is always hot and staff are always friendly. Although I'm not vegetarian I go for the Veggie breakfast due to the amazing leek and cheese sausages.

Be aware you do have to pay £2 in the car park but If you're going in the winter months park on the seafront and walk over as this will save you the £2!

As reference to a review below I always have a glass of water with my breakfast and have never had to pay so I think you may of got that wrong or asked for bottled water.

Reviewed 3 December 2014

I have been here many times over the years - originally carrying out a 'quality study' of the best breakfasts in Portsmouth with a friend, we found it was the best one - and it's somewhere that, when I mention it to other people not many have heard of it so thought I would mention it now.
It's next to the Royal Marines Museum in what used to be the Royal Marines Barracks at Eastney and run by a very amiable and accomodating guy called Keith.
You enter by the statue of the 'Yomper' - that's a Royal Marine on maneuvres - They have regular meals such as cooked breakfast, including a vegetarian option, curries, paninis, roasts and puddings and also have a 'specials' board. The last time I went it was salmon, but they also have things like chicken skewers, soups, you name it really.
It's also a very good place for a Christmas meal or a birthday party- I have been there for both - just ask Keith and he will see how he can oblige. Reasonable prices, a lovely location, especially in the summer where you can sit outside next to Gunner's Row and the parade ground with a lovely view accross the solent to the Island and just that little bit away from the bustle of the seafront.
If you haven't been, check it out.

1  Thank BigVern1939