“Perfect”

Ranked #52 of 886 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: US$7 - US$40
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, British, Fusion
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: We are extremely proud to shout about our restaurant, Ovation. Proof that in-theatre dining can be sophisticated and contemporary. On the third floor of the city's Grade II Listed Mayflower Theatre, we are ideal for pre-show and selective post-show dining as well as more leisurely dining without the show. We are also the ideal restaurant for post-show dining after some matinee performances. Our dining room is modern in style with painted wood panelling, black and white stage photo prints and high backed leather seating, tables simply styled in monochrome, with polished silver and gleaming glassware. Modern European in flavour, our menu is as sleekly up to date as our surroundings with indulgent touches that give an extra sparkle to special occasion evenings. Our top notch wine list is an excellent accompaniment. It almost goes without saying that we offer extremely high quality and affordable dinner and show packages and of course our highly professional and efficient staff always ensure that if you're dining pre-theatre you will never miss curtain up!
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

Brilliant facility in the Mayflower theatre. Excellent three course meal for less than £30. Some interesting new takes on traditional dishes. Super service. Highly recommended

Reviewed 16 August 2017

I attended the Mayflower Theatre event of 'Murder Mystery: Treachery on the Titanic' in the Ovation and with this came a 3-course meal. There was only 1 option for each course (with the opportunity, however, to advise the waitress when we were seated if we had any dietary requirements - which we did not). The options looked just to my taste and I was happy with the menu.

When we were seated, we had the most friendly waitress whom had such a happy vibe to her. She took our drinks orders and these arrived promptly.

There was already a bread roll per person on our table when we were seated and this tasted fresh and was lovely.

For starter, this was the Thyme & Oak Smoked Duck Breast, Walnut Crumb, Ginger Syrup and Dates. This is by far the tastiest duck starter I have ever eaten. There were so many flavours which complimented each other beautifully.

For main course, this was the Herb-Poached Chicken Breast, Roasted Sweet Potato, Crushed Peas, Wilted Greens, Vine Tomatoes, Juniper Oil and Mint. This was perfectly cooked and so tasty.

For dessert, this was Chocolate Mousse, Crushed Candied Peanuts and Cherry Sorbet. I couldn't get over how much flavour such a light dessert could carry. I easily could have eaten another portion!

After dessert, I was served with a tea and a chocolate which was a lovely finish to the meal.

This chef is clearly very talented with both menu creation and execution. All staff on the evening were very friendly and I would return for the Murder Mystery evening just to have the same menu again. I could not have asked for a better meal.

Mayflower_Theatre, Manager at Ovation, Mayflower Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2017

Dear c1e,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed our Murder Mystery evening and were very impressed with the food and service you received.

I will pass your fantastic comments onto the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 12 August 2017

Visited pre-theatre before going to see a show. Lovely service and a great atmosphere! Staff were lovely and the service was quick so we were able to get to the show with plenty of time!

Dear Sarah P,

I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent visit to Ovation and were very impressed with the service you received.

I will pass your lovely comments onto the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

The meals to begin with were really small, served in huge platters with mostly garnish. On top of that they've added an extra £1 stating Mayflower Appeal. It was only after we inquired did they explain of the charity involved and mentioned it can be taken out if needed. I did not care for the extra quid but I'm pretty sure they collect quids from all bills without informing the customers. If the customers are told of the charity I'm sure 9 out of 10 would agree to donate. We went based on word-of-mouth recommendations however now that we have first hand experience we will never visit the Ovation. Totally not worth the money spent.

Dear Gayan J

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to Ovation. I am sorry to hear you were not happy with some elements of your evening and your expectations were not met. We take all feedback on board and act where necessary.

I hope you will return again so we can show you what a wonderful experience you can have in Ovation with fantastic food and excellent customer service.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

Booked for last Saturday night. What a difference from our previous visits. First thing to notice was no tablecloths, that's lazy. Service was very slow right the way through the evening, the place was not full. The quality of food ordered was poor. The Mackerel had been defrosted on the plate [plate swimming in water], absolutely tasteless. My guest had Ribeye Steak that was riddled with sinew and gristle. Complained to the waiter, nothing happened, shocking. Plates are overdressed with sauces that are out of squeezy bottles, yuk. Is there a proper chef here now? I don't think so.
Best not to waste your money here. There are some very good eateries near the Mayflower that are far superior, and less expensive. Pull your socks up Ovation, time is not on your side.

1  Thank 55pete

Dear 55pete,

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit to Ovation. I am sorry to hear you were not happy with some elements of your visit and your expectations were not met. We take all feedback on board and act where necessary.

We removed the tablecloths from the restaurant a while ago, to give it a more relaxed and family friendly feel, and the feedback has been positive.

I am sorry you felt your food was poor , I can assure you that all our dishes are cooked fresh to order by our team of fantastic Chefs. The mackerel dish is served with a citrus tea, which was the liquid on the plate.