“Lovely accommodation”

Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin
Ranked #22 of 25 Hotels in Southampton
Reviewed 13 December 2015 via mobile

My (very) elderly parents visited us in Southampton and I booked them into the Dolphin Hotel. As they were coming for a few days, I upgraded them to what I thought would just be a nice room, but it was actually a suite! They were delighted! I spoke to the hotel directly as well as the booking agent (Booking. Com) advising them my parents would need easy access. The lift was very close to their room and a ramp took them up the slight incline to the room. However, there was a step up and then a step down as part of the entrance to the room, but mostly they were able to navigate this. The rooms were clean and tidy, with a mini bar, kettle and fancy coffee maker. A lovely, huge bed, clean bath linen and robes and slippers. The bathroom, however, was tired and although it had a modern hand basin, needs to be decorated and the toilet and bath need to be brought up to scratch.

The hotel management were very kind and filled them with tea when they were waiting for me to collect them when they checked out.

The Dolphin is far enough away from the shops to be quiet, but near enough to walk. The restaurant served an excellent breakfast - plenty of fresh fruit, etc. We didn't eat any other meals there, but the menu looked inviting and reasonably priced, all things considered. There are plenty of pubs and restaurants nearby, or short taxi rides away.

My son is getting married next year, in Southampton, and we will definitely recommend this hotel to any guests needing accommodation.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
ECDolphinHotelGM, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2016

Dear 229deborahb

Many thanks for the positive comments,

I’m happy we were able to make your parents stay with us so enjoyable.

I hope we can welcome you all back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel again very soon.

There are newer reviews for Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin

Reviewed 11 December 2015

Stayed at the Dolphin recently for one night whilst in Southampton on business for 2 days.

Arrived early evening. Very slow check in process with only one member of staff on duty. Even though quite a queue of customers waiting to checkin, no other staff offered to help and speed the process up for tired guests wanting to get to their rooms. Very annoying.

My bedroom was very poor. Ground floor with views over a dirty alleyway. The bathroom was dreadful, mould on the tiles/grouting, a cracked window that rattled and let a terrible draft in. Very small and old. The bedroom itself was very tired, dirty stained carpet, bashed skirting doors and door architrave. Quite a depressing room to be honest.

Now the better parts..... Found the restaurant to be quite pleasant, nice evening meal and good breakfast the following morning.

Was not expensive so can't moan at value for money but really do feel the hotel needs to improve the rooms and check in experience.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business

Dear Martin M

Many thanks for your comments.

We appreciate all feedback and are glad you enjoyed our restaurant.

I’ll look into the points your raised personally, and in the meantime, I hope we can welcome you back to the Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel very soon.

Reviewed 11 December 2015

Few days Christmas shopping, Hotel old with lots of history and close to shops, sea etc. Warm welcome from staff, room fine, overlooking car park and building site which fortunately didn't start work until 8am!
Self service breakfast good, could order other things if desired. Ate in restaurant one evening, wasn't really impressed. And only us and one other couple in there so no ambience!

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
ECDolphinHotelGM, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2015

Dear Nelliekay

Thank you for taking the time to upload your comments onto Tripadvisor, we value our customer’s feedback and use it to help monitor and maintain our high standards of service.

I am delighted to hear that we met with your expectation on your recent visit and that you were suitably impressed with the location of the hotel. It was also very pleasing to read that my staff surpassed your expectations and that you very much enjoyed your breakfast at the hotel.

I have taken on board your comments regarding the restaurant, similar to other restaurants in the area, we have experienced some unusually quiet days over the festive season, and I apologise that this impacted on the ambiance that evening, however I would like to assure you that we shall be launching our new restaurant menu early in the New Year which is already generating a lot of interest from the preview sent out to our loyalty club members.

We would be delighted to welcome you back to the Mercure Dolphin Hotel, Southampton in the near future and I would like to thank you once again for your comments.

Kind regards

Reviewed 9 December 2015

Tired hotel - some evidence of upgrade work here and there but avoid room 223! Small, 1960s bathroom, stained carpet. Reception grossly understaffed and queues common. Breakfast is fine and reasonable value. only stayed here as I'm an ACCOR member.

Stayed: December 2015

Dear Chris B

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on Tripadvisor

I was disappointed to read some of your comments regarding your experience, and that the hotel did not fully meet with your expectations.

I am working with my maintenance team to gradually improve all areas in the the hotel as I am aware that since our refurbishment in 2010, further investment is now required and whilst I am pleased with the progress that has been made to date, we now have a rolling programme to update the bathrooms in the hotel and we hope to make significant progress in the New Year. Your comments regarding the carpet in Room 223 have been taken on board and I have already arranged for this to be professionally cleaned.

I was pleased to read your comments about the breakfast offering however, and I have addressed your feedback in respect of your check-in with my Front Office team, we do everything possible to minimise queues and are therefore in the process of cross-training throughout the team so that all team members can offer support to all areas of the hotel at peak periods.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, I hope that we will be able to have an opportunity to demonstrate that progress is being continually made throughout the hotel and we therefore look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the New Year.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 4 December 2015 via mobile

Lovely staff, lovely food, lovely room. Always stay here when I am in Southampton, business or pleasure. great location, nice car park and the room is always very nice. Cannot recommend this hotel enough - the staff are a credit to the hotel, always welcoming and helpful.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled on business
ECDolphinHotelGM, General Manager at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2015

Dear nmcclu315

Many thanks for posting your comments.

We appreciate all feedback very much and the team and I look forward to welcoming you back at Mercure Southampton Centre Dolphin Hotel.