“Christmas Party.......what a let down!!”

The Vestry Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #130 of 909 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: US$24 - US$32
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

So we had high hopes for our visit to the Vestry, the Christmas party menu sound absolutely amazing and at almost 40 pounds, we were hopeful it was going to be top notch!! Well were we in for some serious disappointment. The bar was was short staffed for a start, the wait to purchase an extortionately priced pint of lager and a G&T (not much change from £15.00) was probably not worth the wait!

We had no clue whether we were supposed to head to our table let alone know which tables we had been allocated so we mingled around the bar in a state of confusion - where was the host of the restaurant!!

The food was mediocre and considering the price, it was hard to swallow. The ever hopeful menu consisted of baked Camembert, sounds good right - it was barely melted so the hope of being able to dip my dry stale roll into the molten cheese quickly disappeared! On to my Turkey dinner with all the trimmings, except the trimmings didn’t seem to include Brussels sprouts, parsnips or even a smattering of cranberry sauce - but was passable I guess although a little on the cold side!! Pudding had to be better didn’t it, chocolate tart - there always seemed to be something missing a smidge more cream here would have made this a great pud. My friend opted for the crumble and custard her absolute favourite, they bought the crumble with no custard which after 4 times of asking was finally delivered to our table to go on top of her very cold crumble!!

Another trip to the bar resulted in me being given my change back in 50 pence pieces, the young lady informed me that they hadn’t expected people to pay using cash (I’m lost for words!)

The staff were so few and ridiculously busy that you could barely complain or ask for anything extra!

Now......the disco - what disco I hear my colleagues shout!! We were waiting for the DJ to get everyone to the dance floor to get the party started, we could hear the music (barely) so we all headed off downstairs to find the dance floor - but where was the elusive dance floor!!

We all left feeling rather underwhelmed and cold due to the lack of heating.

If I thought I would get a refund I would certainly ask it!!

1  Thank Jackie T

Reviewed 2 December 2017 via mobile

Despite this being a lovely building we were disappointed from the start. When I booked I asked for a downstairs table as my mother has mobility difficulties. I was advised when we got there that there were no tables downstairs as it was Christmas. So we went upstairs, the stairs are relatively steep so it was difficult. We were shown to our table and given a menu. A Christmas menu, when I asked was there another menu I was told no, we only have Christmas menu. We were here for a pre theatre menu not a Christmas party. I was told that details of the menu were on the website - I checked this morning and there is no mention of the menu being restricted to Christmas fare. Ok - so we looked at the menu and made our choices. My mother chose the beef. We were told No Beef. Come on guys it’s the 1st Dec and you run out of beef on you first day. Order placed we waited. Starters arrived quickly and were pleasant . My daughter and I had Camembert which was lovely- we asked for extra bread which arrived promptly. Starters finished mains arrived shortly after and service was with a smile and polite.
My daughter and I had butternut squash tart which was very good, sadly the hassleback potatoes that came with it were raw. We sent these back. We finished our tart and our plates were cleared. Shortly after this the uncooked potatoes were returned to the table - clearly microwaved and obviously the same ones that we sent back. As we had finished our dinner we did not want them. I asked for our bill only to be presented with a full price bill together with a charge for £5:50 for a miscellaneous item. When I queried this I was told this was for the extra bread . £5:50 for two small rolls, no way. I did query my bill again and referred to our meals not being complete. Yes I did get 15% taken off and the £5:50 for bread taken off. But I should not have had to ask. Very disappointed

Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

They were busy, we hadn't booked but they still managed to organise a table for five. The service was excellent and the food great. Lovely friendly atmosphere too. Not cheap but worth paying for. Would well recommend it. Thank you Vestry.

Reviewed 30 November 2017

Had pre theatre meal, good food and service is timed to perfection so as to co-inside with theatre times

Reviewed 30 November 2017 via mobile

We visited The Vestry for a pre theatre dinner and were not disappointed, the food was good and the service was friendly and efficient. We had cocktails and the three course menu. We would go there again.