“Disappointingly poor value ”

The Oxford Brasserie
Ranked #31 of 949 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: US$76 - US$76
Cuisines: British
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

Style over substance and inept service abound in what could have been a great venue. Whilst the food looked good this was at the expense of flavour and ultimately satisfaction. Inept service resulted in runny egg for a pregnant member of the party and half the drinks order finding its way to the bill but not the table (an experience shared with the table next to us). A veal steak with a runny sauce was served on a wooden board, overflowing salad onto tue table and accompanying vegetables in a mini bowl resulting in the table cloth enjoying more of the (admittedly tasty) sauce than I and the dexterity of a brain surgeon required. My parfait starter was more reminiscent of Sainsbury's own brand than dining out. The result - desert forgone to avoid further disappointment and for only the second time in a decade the tip kept in my pocket.

Hubert H, Manager at The Oxford Brasserie, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2018

Hi there,

I would firstly like thank you for sharing your experience with us, we appreciate positive and negative feedback; as this is how we can grow and develop at The Oxford Brasserie.

I sincerely apologise for the experience you recently had with us, and I am saddened to read this as we pride ourselves on personal and attentive service. Being described as inept is something unheard of at The Oxford Brasserie.

I do hope this does not deter you from returning to the Brasserie, with our menu soon to be changing, I would really hope to see you both again. Please do contact me directly on 02380 635 043, if you would like to discuss your experience further, or to arrange a reservation.

Kindest Regards,
Emily Moss
Restaurant Manager

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

The best restaurant we’ve been through the entire stay in the region!
The ambiance is very pleasant and the girls how took care of us were super nice and friendly.
The food was perfect, as many courses we had the lamb and the duck... delicious!
The starter and deserts were also very good and wine of the house a good surprise as well.
The price, and from our experience in the area, is correct, for the quality of experience!
We would definitely recommend The Oxford Brasserie!

1  Thank Patricia_Ivo
Reviewed 7 March 2018

This was our second visit to this restaurant- shame we hadn't discovered it earlier. We took some friends for Sunday lunch last weekend and everything was lovely; friendly, efficient staff, good atmosphere with plenty of other diners, and great food. We also chose some very good wine to compliment the meal. We will certainly be back...

1  Thank amusebouche939
Reviewed 6 March 2018

I brought 3 customers and 2 colleagues here for dinner. I ordered some nibbles for everyone. These were pork scratchings, salt & pepper squid and beef shin croquettes with marrow mayo.

They went down an absolute storm, especially the pork scratchings. My asian customers couldn't get enough of them!

Only a couple of starters were ordered by the group. The salmon was lovely and the sorbet complimented it well.

My main was the cod. The bon bon was lovely and the cod perfectly cooked. A couple of the group had the lamb which was a real hit. Others had the steak which was cooked to a perfect temperature.

A good selection of desserts and cheeses was available and we all enjoyed our choices.

Service was great. Efficient without being in your face.

The only area for improvement I can think of is that it was bitterly cold outside (-8C) and the overdoor heater struggled as a result we were quite cold - otherwise a perfect meal and I would have no issues bringing customers here again.

1  Thank Ian J
Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

We always look forward to a trip here, and we always happy with the food, drink and service even before they won awards.
However we had been informed that the manager had moved on, and the chef had moved on : we learnt this after the meal. There was no way we would have guessed from the changes because the service, food and drink was all still excellent, it was nice to meet Emily !