“Well presented pub with good food”

The Empress of Blandings
Reserve with OpenTable
The Empress of Blandings is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #91 of 881 Restaurants in Southampton
Price range: US$13 - US$33
Cuisines: British, Brew Pub
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 30 September 2015 via mobile

We visited the Empress of Blandings after a day at nearby Paultons Park. It is a Badger Brewery pub with a good range of their ales.

It serves food all day, which suited our need for an early dinner. It is a large pub with some outside space and plenty of parking.

The staff were friendly and helpful, accommodating requests and a table change.

The children's menu was good with some varied and tasty choices, which made a change to the usual sausages / fish fingers / chicken nuggets. It was also good value at £5.50 including a quality dessert ice cream. Our child had BBQ chicken with fries and a nice salad. We had the steak and ale pie (very good) and the Parmesan chicken (surprisingly spicy relish).

Desserts were will presented and tasty.

We would recommend this pub to anybody in the area wanting a nice meal.

Reviewed 28 September 2015 via mobile

The Empress of Blandings is a country pub in the New Forest, it has ample parking and is very family orientated but also has the charm that couples would like.

I've visited this pub on a number of occasions and have never been disappointed. On this occasion there were 14 of us, the staff coped really well with the number of guests, three meals all came out together and the quality was first rate. I had the steak and ale pie which was delicious. I didn't hear a moan from any of the people in our group.

I recommend the pub for its atmosphere, it's food and for its service.

Reviewed 19 September 2015

Great lunch in a very nice pub! Came across the Empress by chance and very pleased to find it after passing a few that did not look very inviting.

Reviewed 18 September 2015

Stopped here on the off chance for a spot of lunch while passing - it was a Monday and very quiet. Staff were friendly and service was quick - food was very nice and quick to arrive - although being the only patrons one would expect that. The layout and appearance of the pub is very nice indeed - clean and smart. Enjoyed the food and the service so it served the job perfectly!

Reviewed 18 September 2015

We have eaten at the Empress many times and have always had good wholesome food, with reasonable portions at good prices. The other thing we like is the extensive menu that suits all tastes.
This time I ordered a special, "hot buffallo chicken salad" which from the description sounded great. I was immediately disappointed when the meal arrived and saw the size of the "chicken breast" sitting on top of the salad. I can only think that this was a very small emancipated chicken that somehow managed to get out of the category of small pullet. I reckon there is more meat on a chicken leg. I indicated my disappointment to the waitress who did offer to get me something else, but I didn't fancy eating on my own 10 minutes after my wife and friends. I thought another piece of chicken or a bigger piece of chicken would have been a better option but it wasn't offered.
After saying all the above I ate the salad with the bit of chicken and I have to say the salad was superb and the chicken was nice with the sauce, but I couldn't get past my disappointment on how nice this could have been with a slightly bigger piece of chicken.
Next time I'll stick to the chicken ceasar salad as that is great.
I will definitely be going back as I see this as a slight set back and not something to stop me going back as we really enjoy it here and the service is normally very good.