US$103
US$69
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 23% below average rates

The price you found is 23% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$90/night.

Holiday Inn Winchester(Winchester)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$87
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 15% below average rates

The price you found is 15% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$102/night.

The Wykeham Arms(Winchester)
Free cancellation until 27/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$142
The Winchester Hotel & spa(Winchester)(Great Value!)
US$93
US$86
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 14% below average rates

The price you found is 14% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$100/night.

The King Alfred(Winchester)
Free cancellation until 26/07
Book now, pay at stay
US$93
The Running Horse(Winchester)
US$96
Agoda.com
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$110/night.

The Cricketers Inn(Winchester)(Great Value!)
US$87
Premier Inn Winchester Hotel(Winchester)(Great Value!)
US$77
PremierInn.com
Hannah's(Winchester)
US$217
US$180
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$207/night.

1,234 results
All reviewsavenue restaurantjunior suiteafternoon teabirds of preyjacuzzi bathsouth lodgedawley barnrain barscedar barextensive groundscookery schoolcountry housetasting menubeautiful hotelfour poster beddrawing roomamuse bouche
Reviewed 14 June 2018

My wife and I spent a night there on route to Salisbury races. Our room was magnificent. We had lunch in the garden excellent lunch with a delightful bottle of a crisp Rose Pinot Blush.
Dinner in the evening in the restaurant was fine dining at its very best.
Every one of the staff were at the top of their game. A spotless clean hotel.

1  Thank Den P
GW_Lainston, Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2018

Thank you for your 5* review of Lainston House. I am pleased to read just how much you enjoyed the hospitality provided by the team and that you found them to be at the top of their game. I shall share your glowing feedback with all of the team here at Lainston House and look forward to welcoming you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 11 June 2018

We booked to stay at Lainston House for a couple of nights after our wedding as our honeymoon isn't for another three months.

When we checked in we were amazed and touched that the staff had upgraded us from the smallest 'cosy' room to the 'chapel suite' which included a separate lounge, private garden with a great view and jacuzzi bath with a tv. It even had a flat screen tv that emerged from the bed!

The hotel itself is very impressive and grand and has a long and interesting history. The grounds are extensive which we explored on our final day, including the kitchen gardens and falconry centre.
We stayed for a bed, breakfast and dinner combination. The pre-dinner drinks we had in the Cedar bar were excellent - we are both big gin lovers and the range of gins and gin-based cocktails on offer was impressive. The three course meals that we had each night in the Avenue restaurant were amazing, there were many unexpected amuse-bouche dishes that were served between courses that were very tasty. In particular I would recommend the scallop and chicken wing starter, the turbot main and the strawberry mousse dessert. The service we had was very good - friendly and attentive (but not intrusive). Overall the atmosphere in the cedar bar, avenue restaurant and terrace outside were very relaxed.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will be back!

Room Tip: Chapel and garden suites are definitely worth splashing out on if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ajhood80

Thank you for your lovely review of your relaxing stay at Lainston House. I'm so pleased that you chose to stay with us whilst celebrating your wedding. The team will be thrilled to hear that they had such a positive impact on your stay and I will share your glowing review with all of them. Roberto, our Bar & Lounge Manger will be over the moon to hear how well his new Hampshire Gin selection has been received and will be looking forward to welcoming you back so you can try another new selection which is en-route. We wish you all the happiness for the future and look forward to welcoming you back again after your honeymoon.

Reviewed 10 June 2018

What a gorgeous Friday/Saturday stay we had at Lainston House. We travelled up on the Friday, in glorious weather. We pulled up in the Oval to unload and were met by a member of staff who happily took our bags in whilst my husband took the car back to the carpark. We were a little early for check in, but our bags were safely labelled and out behind the desk and we were shown through to the bar where we could have drinks on the lawn. When our room was ready (15 minutes early) we were quietly interrupted and reassured our room was available and our bags had been taken up there for whenever we were ready. Perfect. A lovely little extra was a card wishing my husband a happy birthday!
The room was gorgeous - I think we were upgraded! - not a huge room, but very comfortable. Bath with a telly in it was a big hit with my husband. Even though we looked out on the front lawn where drinks are served it was very quiet and private and we didn't have any problems with noise.

We had dinner in the Avenue restaurant, which I had booked as part of our stay - It was the Friday night deal which was excellent value and coincidentally fell on my husband's birthday. This entitled us to a two course la carte meal at the restaurant. We ended up having three courses and a bottle of wine (plus water etc) which was added to the final bill. All very smooth. The food was delicious - plenty of appetisers and amouse bouche, plus gorgeous bread!! The food was top quality and totally delicious.
At night, we had no problems with noise - again probably lucky with who was staying, but even being above the dining room presented no problems. The room was very hot, so we had both main windows wide open and they had provided us with a fan which made sleeping far more tolerable.

Breakfast was back in the main restaurant and again the food was fresh and tasty.
One of the highlights of the visit for me was our Falconry experience, I'd definitely recommend booking on if you have time. We had the shortest (and cheapest) of the options as it fitted best with our plans. We met at 10, and there were 9 of us down in the kitchen garden. I have never had such a comprehensive, detailed and enjoyable falconry experience. We each got to hold 3 birds if we wished and the falconer was incredibly passionate and we could see how much she loved the birds. We learnt about them, their characters, her relationship with them and her work as a falconer in immense detail and she was very patient with all of our questions. we also got to hold the birds for a good length of time, not just a quick photo op! As a result we massively over ran the 45minute suggested time. I wanted to do it all again. Next time we will definitely make time for a longer, flying visit.

There were a few downsides to the trip, which probably affect the hotels '5*' rating to many visitors. We have had smoother, more opulent visits to 5* hotels but it wasn't enough of a detraction for me to lower the rating I'm giving them, because overall we had a fabulous visit and would return without hesitation. Other people have commented on the staff being inefficient and service clunky...I wouldn't go that far, but I'd say service is 4* trying to be 5* rather than a natural 5* result. A few examples: when ordering two beers and a water on the lawn, this was mistranslated into one beer and a water. At dinner we had lovely friendly service, but were left a little long after ordering our desserts and them arriving (we did starter-end of main in under an hour, and dessert arrived some 45 minutes later). Good to let the food go down but we did wonder if they'd forgotten us briefly. At breakfast there was probably the biggest misstep. We waited at the entrance to be checked off the guest list and be seated. A waiter who was clearing a table welcomed us (very nice) and told us to take a seat in the next room and someone would be with us... to which no one was. We would have rather waited and been seated in that instance. In the end I approached a waiter and asked for the menu. The breakfast room was also a little loud due to a wedding party in full excitement for what was about to take place. We seemed to be the only ones in that side room who weren't part of the party so we did wonder if they had assumed we were part of it. We would have rather a quiet table in the main room which was mostly empty apart form the odd couple. We did also notice some food stains on the wall paper next to our table which was a little off-putting. As for in the room, the only thing we would change is the lack of a kettle (I know others have made similar comments). My main issue was when I made myself a tea, it tasted like coffee, so I didn't try again. The leaf tea served in the breakfast room was fabulous, but in our room I would have been happy with PG Tips and a basic kettle if that was the best they could do. A coffee machine to make tea just isn't right.

Overall, an absolutely amazing stay we would happily do again. I thought the hotel was gorgeous, and very comfortable. It was so quiet and relaxing in the grounds, and the staff were overall attentive and very friendly and approachable. Just a few bits of fine tuning and it would be up there with some of the best.

Room Tip: Camellia was luxurious and looks out over the lawns. Could get noisy if there are guests out on the patio until late however.
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Castleth
GW_Lainston, Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed and constructive review of Lainston House. I am pleased to read that there were many aspects of your stay that you found absolutely amazing, in particular the falconry. I shall share your glowing feedback with all of the team here at Lainston House and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 8 June 2018 via mobile

This hotel is a real gem. A gracious 17th century mansion in beautiful parkland set amidst the lovely Hampshire countryside just 2 and a half miles from Winchester.
Service is impeccable and friendly and the food in the restaurant is superb.
My only criticism is that the menu is short and does not change frequently and there are no daily specials. But the 3-course menu (including canapés, amuse bouche and pre-desert) for £60 is exceptionally good.
This is a beautiful well-run hotel at which it is a pleasure to stay.

1  Thank Graham Z
GW_Lainston, Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2018

Thank you for your 5* review of Lainston House. I am pleased to read how much you enjoyed your dining experience in our award winning Avenue Restaurant and that you found the service to be impeccable. I shall share your lovely feedback with all of the team here at Lainston House and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 6 June 2018

Although you are surrounded by an elegant decor did not find the service to be what it should when you are paying these prices. Our bathroom was tired, cracked glass in our bedroom window and the service at dinner inattentive and slow - at breakfast it descended to comical. Not keen to go back

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
GW_Lainston, Manager at Lainston House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am sorry to hear that there were shortfalls during your stay. I believe you spoke with our Reception Manager during your departure and the information provided has now been shared with the relevant senior management team for them to rectify. Once again thank you for bringing this to my attention and I apologise for any inconvenience caused. I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.