3 people are viewing this hotel
Free cancellation until 02/10/21
Official Hotel
US$73
Free cancellation until 02/10/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Hotels.comUS$96
Trip.comUS$95
PricelineUS$87
1,732 results
All reviews safari lodge zoo tickets sky tv swimming pool groupon deal leisure facilities bar menu superior room tasting menu function room evening meal lamb birthday treat plenty of parking biscuits stayed for one night full english
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We stayed for one night at the hotel and had a meal in their restaurant. The hotel has lots of potential as it is in beautiful location in a forest and within walking distance of the zoo. But... it is looking very tatty, the paint is chipped, the shower had dirty scratch marks, the carpets have stains. If you are an intrepid explorer happy to pretend you are on safari, and don't mind roughing-it... then this is the place for you! The staff were friendly and helpful, and doing their best despite the COVID restrictions.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

If it wasn't for the accommodation being included with a course that I was attending then I wouldn't have stayed.

The room, although large, was tired and smelt of either sweaty workman or stale smoke. The decor throughout is tired and the carpets are stained.

Due to Covid, there was no room service for the week, even though all restrictions in England had been lifted. Room not cleaned, paper cups, had to collect extra toilet rolls, milk etc from reception.

First even meal the fries were cold. Concentrate orange is awful. Man at the table next to me ordered apple juice with his breakfast, the lad filled his mug, the man said that he wanted it in a glass and his coffee in the mug, the lad poured the apple juice back into the serving jug and filled the mug with coffee, he couldn't see the problem when the man asked for a fresh mug if coffee. On my last day I only got half a mushroom with my full English.

The bar menu includes a selection of burgers, meat and veggie curries, fish and chips, and that's about it. I was there for 5 nights and had a couple of things twice. Again, included in the fees for the course otherwise I would have gone elsewhere.

Meals are expensive with burgers and fish and chips at £16 and curry at £15. The a la carte menu is £36 for two courses or £42 for three.

If you're staying for a couple of nights then the evening meals were okay.

The "gym" consists of two treadmills and a pool.

It is clear to see that the Marwell has been a nice hotel in its day with an interesting style and layout but in its current condition I wouldn't stay there again.

Room tip: Plenty of parking The gym consists of two treadmills and a pool
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2021

Hotel is situated next to the zoo, but during a heatwave, it feels like you're in the zoo itself. Rooms are very old (although large) and in desperate need of updating. I understand that it's trying to be more "in tune with it's surroundings" and not have air conditioning, but if that's the case they should have screens on the doors and windows to allow fresh air in, without all the bugs and creepy crawlies!!!
Check in staff were lovely and provided a fan upon request, however at the bar, when I ordered food and asked if I could have side salad instead of chips with my burger, I was told by the elderly gentleman behind the bar "if it's not on the menu, you can't have it"! At least there was no misunderstanding! Service at breakfast was wonderful - food was tasty and staff were very professional.
The hotel has so much potential - just needs some updating and TLC

Date of stay: July 2021
1  Thank Soupaman1
Reviewed 10 August 2021

Actually reviewing the hotel as I lay on our lovely comfy bed having had a swim.

Firstly don’t let all the negative reviews put you off this hotel or many others.

I’ve been looking for weeks and it seems that there are lots of negative, overly aggressive and unreasonably nasty people out there looking to put down everything.

Remember we have just started to come out of a pandemic where most places have been closed for months, are working with restrictions and limited staff, especially if they are reliant on staff from other countries etc.

As far as the Marwell Hotel is concerned they tell you that there is no housekeeping at the moment when you arrive, that some facilities are not available and some things you have to book in advance. That’s not unreasonable, it’s the way it is at the moment so we just need to go with it. Maybe some people on here just don’t listen or read email etc.

Yes the hotel is a little tired, the bathrooms have some wear and tear, the doorways a few knocks by years of trollies in and out. Do these effect your stay or health in any way, nope so it’s fairly silly to get in a tiz over those.

As far as the important things go, the beds are comfy, the rooms are clean and comfy on arrival - no house keeping due to covid so you just have to put your own stuff away, make your own bed and ask one of the lovely girls on reception for another loo roll.

The breakfast is tasty and pleasant and service organised, we haven’t eaten dinners as it is quite expensive and there are loads of place to eat if you drive towards winchester or bishop waltham.

The pool is a good size, clean and a good temperature and lovely for a nice dip.

Parking is plentiful and the zoo is about 200m from the door.

Great as a base to explore Hampshire in all directions.

It’s lovely for what you need, a bed, some brekkie and a base.

Would stay again and recommend

Date of stay: August 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank J8860KDmarkw
Reviewed 10 August 2021

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights whilst attending a wedding at a different venue. We were full of trepidation given the majority of reviews but were pleasantly surprised.

We did get a very competitive price due to a block booking of a number of rooms so this may be why we were happier than many others writing on here.

The room was clean and comfy; standard room I would say is comparable to a Premier Inn room.
Breakfast was very good if you like something cooked but less of a selection if not - apples, yoghurt, toast and 3 cereal options. Croissants offered on Sunday morning.

The restaurant seemed a little small but was well staffed with attentive service. We had fish and chips from the bar menu which was very tasty. The restaurant menu looked expensive with some odd combinations of food; I’m not sure the surroundings really matched the prices being asked so we didn’t partake and therefore cannot comment on the quality.

Staff were all very friendly and helpful. Our room wasn’t made up in the morning and we’d not been pre warned regarding this so worth asking on check in - seems a bit odd not to do this, especially now Covid restrictions have been lifted.
It might be nice to have some china cups in the room as well - reusing paper cups each day is not great but I’m sure we’d have been given more if we’d asked.

Didn’t use the pool or spa so no comment to make.

As others have said, the whole place needs updating but it was more than adequate for our purposes. Not sure I’d choose this hotel for a special occasion stay, more of a ‘stopover’ type place!

Trip type: Travelled with family