US$139
US$93
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Winchester(Winchester)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$91
  • Restaurant
The Running Horse(Winchester)
US$111
The Winchester Hotel & spa(Winchester)(Great Value!)
US$286
Marwell Hotel(Winchester)
US$134
US$130
Priceline
Premier Inn Winchester Hotel(Winchester)(Great Value!)
US$84
PremierInn.com
US$115
All reviewsgarden roomchateaubriandsunday lunchwine listroll top bathnespresso machinemini barlovely hotellarge roomcar parkcooked breakfastfull englisha lovely staystayed for one nighthigh streetyogurthdv
Reviewed 17 June 2018

The chain has had its ups and downs and I feel it has slightly lost its way. Staff always attentive, well trained and laid back but jeans and shirt for front of house reception is perhaps a bit too informal? Just putting it out there. Always interesting premises but the distressed paint effects are looking dated now.

Not a bad meal by any means just underwhelming. Four of us had the prix fixe three course lunch menu - bill was £120 without coffees or wine apart from one glass of a too acid Picpoul. Was the hollandaise with the asparagus really homemade? Main course - duck confit and mullet very good but veg/salads are extra. My dessert pancakes were underdone in the middle and dry at the edges and the accompanying - supposedly - chocolate sauce was thin, grainy and dull. I would have sent it back but as a guest, you don't want your host to think you are not enjoying yourself - always a dilemma.
Quite possible that other menu choices would have been superb but having eaten at the chain's other hotel in Tunbridge Wells recently, I wonder if overall control is slipping.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elcbee
Clare R, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2018

Dear Elcbee,

Thank you for your recent review, we appreciate all your comments and this really does help us improve the guest experience.

The hotel and bistro will shortly be going through a full refurbishment, so we hope that next time you visit you will see an improvement in the decor.

I would like to reassure you that all food is prepared from scratch in the kitchen so have passed your comments back to the chef.

Please let me know when you are dining in the future and we will ensure you are looked after.

Reviewed 16 June 2018 via mobile

Although close to home and having heard good things about Hotel du Vin, this was my first visit: a working/networking business dinner.

First impressions were not great; reception not manned, so nipped to the gents which, aside from a leak causing a wet floor, was in need of a good clean.

Dinner itself was ‘ok’, though my expectations were pretty high given the reputation. Nothing was bad, but then neither was it the gourmet dining experience I had been led to expect.

Quite a shame really as the place has real character and potential to be something quite special. Perhaps the reputation has bred complacency?

Underwhelmed!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Tim121home
Clare R, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2018

Dear Tim121home,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your recent review following your dining experience. I am so sorry we did not live up to our usual high standards.

First impressions are so important, the reception team are usually very welcoming and I can only assume that they were rooming a guest when you arrived.

I appreciate your comments about the gents toilets and would like to reassure you that this has been addressed.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback, please let me know if you are returning again soon and I will ensure the team look after you.

Reviewed 11 June 2018

Excellent Sunday lunch on 3 June. Our party of 6 were well looked after. Food great wine excellent - even had good weather. Thank you to graham and his staff in the restauarant for looking after us so well.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends

Dear ianell1961,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent dining experience from the 3rd June. Graham and the team have all seen your feedback and pleased that you enjoyed your experience.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best regards

Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed for 1 night last week as a birthday treat . The room was ok but I would have expected.more for my money. Did not eat in the hotel but we chose to done in the town centre. We came back in the early hours and asked if the bar was still open. We were told by a scruffy old man that he could serve us on the bar if required but it felt like we were intruding and that he couldn't be bothered. We went to the bar and asked for drinks he struggled to find things . During serving the drinks we noticed it looked like he had a heavy cold and his nose was dripping! After being served we decided we didn't want to drink any more drinks that had been made by him so we went to our room and had drinks from our well stocked mini bar. Hotel is local to town centre and would recommend for that reason but steer well clear from the late night bar!!!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank saucyminx86
Clare R, General Manager at Hotel du Vin & Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2018

Dear saucyminx86,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your recent feedback following your recent stay. I am appalled to read your comments and they are currently being addressed with the staff on duty the evening you stayed. Personal hygiene is one thing our team usually pride themselves with, so thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Please contact me directly if you are looking to make a booking in future and I will ensure you are looked after.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

I’ve been going to the Hotel du Vin’s Bistro for over 20 years and it ranks among my favourite places for breakfast or lunch in Winchester. It’s been a while, but having arrived on an early Sunday morning flight from the Middle East I imagined reliving those experiences with a hearty breakfast as I drove down the M3. Parking at the rear of the hotel is effortless and then you’re quickly across the al fresco courtyard and into the bistro. The greeting from the lady on reception was warm and welcoming and I instantly felt like I was home. The restaurant wasn’t busy, with a few hotel guests enjoying the start to their day. I did notice that a few tables still had the remnants of previous diners breakfasts left on the tables, which gave the restaurant supervisor limited opportunities on where to seat a solo guest. I refused the table by the door and waited while they cleared a table in the dining room for me to sit at. The breakfast order done, I had to wait until my 2nd cup of coffee to get it and it arrived without baked beans. No issue, I thought they would come with it but asked for an order to come on the side. My request for Worcestershire sauce was met by a small copper pan with far to much and only the tea spoon from my coffee to save pouring it onto my breakfast. The beans finally arrived as I was almost done, and while waiting I’d noticed the tables that had had guests when I arrived, had also all been left uncleared. Maybe I came on a day when people were sick or absent, but not up to the standards of the old Hotel Du Vin for sure. Nevertheless, looking forward to my next home and maybe a spot of lunch next time.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank TopCatTony

Dear TopCatTony,

Thank you for taking the time to complete your recent review, following many happy occasions I am sorry we did not quite live up to our usual standards.

We have been building a new team in the bistro and hope that service is now well back to the standard that is more than expectable. I have been working with the new Bistro Manager to ensure the team are trained to follow service standards.

With regards baked beans they do not come with the breakfast as standard, however are more than happy to serve them on guest request.

Please let me know when you are next staying and I will ensure you are looked after.