“Worth the wait!”

Rattle Ghyll Cafe
Ranked #3 of 127 Restaurants in Ambleside
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Description: We open our doors at 10am and serve homemade food. We stop serving savoury hot food at 3.30pm to allow us time to prep for the following day. We do still serve teas, coffees and cakes until 4.00pm. Please do come and visit and fill your hungry tummies!
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We discovered this gem on Ester Saturday which was quite a busy day in Ambleside. The cafe is very tiny and popular so queuing is a most. I suggest arriving after lunchtime around 2 o’clock when it’s not too busy; we were fortunate to wait only for 10 minutes. I went for a seasonal salad and I must say I’m glad I went for that option. The salad was freshly made with a variety of roasted veggies, olives, couscous, hummus and feta. It was absolutely delicious. I went for a regular size and the portion is huge. It’s a good option to share. Otherwise, if not too hungry I suggest going for a small size. I also tried a blackberry cake and the taste was gorgeous. I highly recommend this place.

1  Thank Triulzi

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Town extra busy, it was not just cold also raining. Everywhere you had to stand long queues, got to the lane where Ratlle is by chance. No surprise, we had to stand in another queue. All moody, we ordered a large counter mixed salad and for desert a blue berry and lime cake. Well people, I’m a very picky foodie, they were marvellous. You could feel the freshness, passion and good cooking in every bite. The spongeness of the cake was Mary Berry style! TRULL RECOMMEND IT!!!

1  Thank Andrés B
Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

We stopped for lunch on a damp, drizzly day, and it was great. There isn’t much room inside, but that adds to the charm. We both opted for the soup - carrot satay (mainly carrot !) - and it was very good indeed. A generous portion of homemade soup, 2 hunks of good bread with butter, and a small pot of grated cheese. Perfect grub for the weather. Coffee was good too, and with very friendly service. We will definitely return when next in Ambleside - as long as we can get in as it’s (deservedly) very popular.

1  Thank WanderingIslander
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

If you fancy a gluten free treat with a lovely quiet backdrop. Well worth a visit. Short few steps from the main street in ambleside. Great cakes and coffee. I had the gluten free pear and almond cake. Not too sweet like many gluten free cakes and service with a smile! Highly recommended.

1  Thank 505Terry
Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Visited on a wet Tues lunch. Small cafe so lucky to get a table for 3. I really enjoyed my toasty sandwich which came with a selection of salads and very reasonable at £6.50. My friend had quiche which she said was tasty but expected it to be warm. Nice selection of cakes, although slightly put off as none of them covered over.
Very friendly staff and would very happily visit again.