“Slightly pricey but a wonderful meal.”
Review of Honest Lawyer

Honest Lawyer
Ranked #2 of 73 Restaurants in Cockermouth
Price range: US$5 - US$33
Cuisines: French, Italian, British
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The Honest Lawyer Restaurant provides a fusion of French Italian influenced English style cuisine. Cooked fresh on the premises by our chefs using ingredients that are locally produced and sources and served with a wide range of wines from around the world, beers ,spirits ,liquors and soft drinks etc.
Reviewed 24 August 2016

We visited here in July. Excellent menu choice and good wines. I had an excellent steak. As we had some red wine left after this, we opted for the cheese board for desert. My oh my, it was so good! I am not sure if we were meant to eat all of it but we did.
I would recommend this restaurant to others. It wasn't too posh, we felt relaxed and the young staff/waiters were extremely well mannered and looked as though they were enjoying their jobs.

Reviewed 24 August 2016 via mobile

Lovely environment ... tastefully refurbished after the flood (a red line at eye level on the mirror as you walk in says it all ...) and impeccable service. I confess to ordering the chicken as I was trying to eat healthily but when it came it was clearly a few steps up from plain grilled chicken ... suffice it to say I polished the lot off and regretted it not!! ... it was truly delicious ...I'd go back for that dish alone. Fab

1  Thank Andrea F
Reviewed 21 August 2016 via mobile

Excellent food and very good service, I would highly recommend a visit. We will definitely be going back!

1  Thank Dawn S
Reviewed 21 August 2016 via mobile

We haven't tried the Honest Lawyer for a while, and not since the new owners took over so we decided to give it a go on a Saturday night.
The restaurant is nicely decorated and the tables are well laid out to give you some privacy but it still has a nice busy atmosphere. Service was friendly and attentive and the meat dishes were really good - I can highly recommend the spiced Kerala Lamb.
Just one small niggle passed on by my wife - the ladies toilet door locks were missing or broken and this minor lack of maintenance really jarred compared to the effort made with the decor in the restaurant.
Overall a very pleasant night out, with well prepared food that's just a little different from the local norm and we will certainly be returning.

1  Thank John R
Reviewed 13 August 2016

We are regular visitors to the Honest Lawyer and I decided I would like to celebrate my Birthday there last month, may I say a Big Birthday !!!
As always we were greeted by the friendly and efficient staff. We had a superb meal. I love George's fishcakes !! I had a superb steak and my partner enjoyed excellently cooked fish. I was made a great fuss of, Birthday card, balloon and an amazing fruit, cream meringue etc.etc. dessert, all served with a "Happy Birthday" from the staff. Owner and Chef George , always greets us and makes us feel like special guests. He and his wife Meera, regenerated the restaurant after it was destroyed for the second time after the serious flooding in Cockermouth . They must have worked so hard to bring things back to what is a very pleasant place to eat. I highly recommend The Honest Lawyer, it has a varied menu with a lot of food locally sourced. George is an excellent chef and a very friendly person, always willing to come and talk to his guests. We look upon him as a friend. The restaurant is now also open on some days for light meals at lunch time and during the afternoon. We are looking forward to our next visit.

1  Thank katherine2014222