“A wonderful return visit”
Review of Portofino's Bistro

Portofino's Bistro
Ranked #19 of 73 Restaurants in Cockermouth
Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 25 April 2017

As we were staying in Cockermouth over the weekend we decided to book a table at Portofino’s for Saturday night. We had last eaten here in 2014 and thoroughly enjoyed our meal.

Everything was perfect, from the crazy phone conversation I had with Michael when booking the table to our closing chat when we left on Saturday night.

The food, cooked to order, was superb with my Beef Stroganoff being the best I have ever tasted with just the right amount of paprika to enhance the flavour. My wife’s Gamberetti looked and according to her tasted delicious. The only problem was that neither of us had left any room for a dessert.

We will definitely return the next time we are staying in Cockermouth.

Michael, one final request, please can you get a website so I can enjoy rereading your menu..

There are newer reviews for Portofino's Bistro

Reviewed 22 April 2017

We went to Portofino's on the Tuesday after Easter. It is a small intimate restaurant with quite an extensive menu. The waitress was very friendly and attentive. The food was well prepared and presented. Many fabulous deserts to choose from.
Cockermouth is a great alternative to the hurly-burly of Keswick and the nearby hotels are much better value.

Reviewed 19 March 2017

Five of us ate at Portofino's on 18th March. We were staying with a friend who lives in Cockermouth and although she hadn't eaten there before it had been recommended. What a good choice - nothing was too much trouble for the very pleasant lady who looked after us and although the restaurant was busy we never felt rushed. We all agreed the food was excellent and hope to eat there again the next time we visit Cockermouth.

Mike S, Owner at Portofino's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2017

Thank you for your lovely review. We take great pride in our food and our service and are thrilled you enjoyed your visit.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 8 February 2017

We came here on a Saturday night. It is a very small restaurant so it is advisable to book. We phoned up to book only two nights before we wanted to go and they had spaces. Like I say, the restaurant is very small but that does not mean you are packed in - it still feels very spacious. The service here is exceptional, the staff cannot do enough for you and they are so friendly and polite. The menu has plenty of choices and although some things are expensive, on the whole I’d say it was reasonable. The starters very good, I had the asparagus & parma ham and my boyfriend had the black pudding. For mains, I had the chicken risotto, which although was quite nice I probably wouldn’t have again as it wasn’t to my taste and very rich. My boyfriend had the salmon and he said it was good - the fillet of salmon was huge! We will definitely be coming here again soon.

Mike S, Owner at Portofino's Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2017

Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit and look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Reviewed 26 January 2017

We had arranged a family get together and then decided to all go out for something to eat - the ladies at front of house could not do enough for us in helping us choose when to come, what to eat (two of our party are coeliac therefore gluten free) - help us choose the wine and drinks - and generally made us very welcome and at ease. They were chatty and friendly without being in our faces - the food was excellent and all freshly cooked for us.
Cannot think of a bad thing to say! I don't often actually recommend to others - but have no hesitation in recommending this little treasure to any visitors to the town.

Thank you so much for you brilliant review!

We could not be happier that you enjoyed your visit and would be delighted to welcome you back again!