“Delicious scones”
Review of The Great Escape

The Great Escape
Ranked #53 of 81 Restaurants in Cockermouth
Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

I don't think anyone calls this anything but Moota. We've been coming here for years and didn't even know it was called The Great Escape! The food is consistently good, the staff very pleasant, there's always a good atmosphere and it's excellent value for mkneh. We just popped in for afternoon tea. The scones were excellent. Up there with the best we've eaten. Moota will always be a firm favourite with us.

Reviewed 1 April 2017 via mobile

Called in as our preferred option was closed. We both went for the 'special' soup and sandwich option which was highlighted on the board and as the soup was showing as being served with freshly baked bread we assumed the sandwich would be of similar standard but alas no, two slices of run of the mill sliced bread was the order of the day and bland filling, nothing special except the price which was heavy to say the least at almost £22 for 2 x soup and sandwich and 2 teas both average and only one tea bag each then unimpressed to say the least! Better places to eat in the area and in this case you don't always get what you pay for.

1  Thank PALMR
Reviewed 7 March 2017

I had absolutely no idea this was called The Great Escape or I'd have reviewed it several times before now!
We called in on our way home from a walk around Buttermere because everywhere was packed there, and we weren't particularly hungry while we were there anyway - and I assured my other half that Moota (or The Great Escape apparently) was always good.
So, imagine my horror when we arrived and there was no menus on the tables.....bit odd I thought, so off I went to ask for one, only to find out that they were only doing the Sunday lunch menu that day! We weren't hungry enough for a full on roast dinner, plus we had plans for food later in the day, so coffee and a snack it was. He had a toasted hot x bun with jam and a pot of tea, I had a cheese scone and latte. The latte wasn't very hot, but I can live with that. The cheese scone was the best one I've ever had when out. I've always found that it's hard to come across a good one, and previously the cafe at Wordsworth House & Garden in Cockermouth was top of the list by miles, but this one has knocked them down to (a close) 2nd place. I'll definitely be back for more.....and regret not getting a couple to take home with us.

Reviewed 16 October 2016 via mobile

Fabulous breakfast. Quality ingredients, well cooked. Piping hot plates. £8 including fresh orange juice tea or coffee. No problem swapping toast and jam for an extra egg.

Reviewed 13 October 2016

Been to Great Escape before and found the food to be lovely. However on recent visit I was very disappointed with the special I ordered. The chicken curry I ordered was presented on a plate mixed with the rice and two pieces of tomato and a dried up piece of cucumber. Looking around the other tables the curry was presented separately in a bowl with a lovely mixed lettuce salad. Also the curry I had was sadly lacking in chicken. For £8.25 this did not represent good value. Why the standard of presentation varied so much I can not answer. I can only assume what I received were the last remaining remnants of the curry. Don't think I'll be going back again.

1  Thank Colin G