“Over priced”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Coniston
Fort William, United Kingdom
“Over priced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2011

This was to be a lovely treat for my husband and I. We were disappointed with the quality of the room, the lack of enthusiasm from the bar staff, the cleanliness of the bathroom and the noise from outside as local bars emptied late at night.
The breakfast was served hot and the food was nice. The choice was very limited for the price.
The room we stayed in needs renovated, or at least a good clean!

Room Tip: Try somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
YewdaleConiston, Owner at The Yewdale Inn, responded to this review, 14 May 2011
We were so shocked by these comments we have contacted the guests concerned to clarify, as they appeared to enjoy their stay and thanked us on departure. They did confirm they were appreciative of the fact we served breakfast at 6.00am for them as they were to take part in a Cycle Race. The comments as to the cleanliness of the room were down to a mark on the bathroom door. This room has been redecorated and re carpeted in the last 12 months and was recently assessed by VisitEngland for our Three Star Inn rating. We are in the centre of the Village and therefore enjoy the benefits and sometimes the noise of such a location. It would appear that the main area of concern was the tariff. As we are in the Lake District National Park, our prices reflect this. We are also comparable with other Inns in the area. Indeed reading the majority of our Trip Advisor comments they find we are value for money . We would always request guests to voice concerns during their stay so we can resolve the issues rather than days later on the internet. We will always welcome constructive comments and strive to do our best.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Cumbria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

Stayed here for a Good Friends wedding in feb 11. The hotel was a great location for the village, ameneties and especially for the wedding, 100 yds away. The Hotel was clean, welcoming and the breakfast was very good. The only real downfall was a loud buzzing/ vibrating noise within the building that kept us awake all of the first night. It wasn't worth mentioning as the hotel only has 8 rooms and the second night was fine ( alcohol), but if your staying for a quiet weekend it's worth thinking about. Having said that, to make you aware, it wouldn't stop me staying there again. The food menu, (although not sampled), looked and sounded fantastic and if other food was to go by I'm sure it would be great. The service was good, although room not cleaned, probably because we were getting ready for the wedding and the maid was hanging around. We left something in the room and I was able to collect the following day due to be local, the hotel contacted me to let me know and kept it available to collect, I've travelled alot recently and this I found to be above and beyond the service I normally receive. It's not often that when you leave something of value in a hotel that they will ring you to let you know, this is a big thumbs up from me. Well Done!!

Yes on the whole I would strongly recommend.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank buckyCumbria
YewdaleConiston, Owner at The Yewdale Inn, responded to this review, 22 April 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel. We were aware of the "buzzing noise" and following that weekend we had the heating engineers out, they changed the pump on the heating system, and have resolved the problem. Pleased you'll come back and it will be more peaceful!
Cheers! Peter & Bev.
wigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2011

stayed for 2 nights via late rooms.com and was thrilled with what we got for our money. the place was lovely and clean, the room we stayed in was well equipped with everything we needed, the couple managing the bar/resteraunt on behalf of the owners were ever so helpfull and friendly we had some lovely food while we was there which was always fresh and piping hot and great value for money. we were made very welcome here and would not hesitate to go back, just what it should be a quaint place in the lakes

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank suenadrian
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2011

I have the pleasure of contradicting previous 'bad' reviews! You may notice the negative reviews about this hotel are in the minority and there is a good reason for that!
I stayed at the yewdale for a week and loved every minute of it (with exception of the weather). As a single traveller I was made to feel so welcome not only by the hosts (Peter, Beverly and Millie) and staff but the whole village.
The hotel was clean and welcoming. Everyone went out of their way to make sure I wanted for nothing, do not think however that this was smothering as I was still very much left to occupy my own space and do what I liked.
In the restraunt and bar they serve up brilliant cooked locally sourced food and have very friendly staff make sure everything is fine.
If you just want a night away or wish to spend a week in Coniston exploring it's hidden jems, I can happily recommend the Yewdale Hotel.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank RJK-UWA
YewdaleConiston, Owner at The Yewdale Inn, responded to this review, 14 February 2011
Thank you for your kind words, it makes it all worthwhile!
Peter & Beverley (and Millie!)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2010

My wife and I booked 4 nights at Yewdale on the basis of the tripadvisor feedback. It was tue end of a ten day holiday in the lake district and was by far the the most disappointing 1 night stay. (we left). We arrived early and the chap who greeted us kindly asked tue staff to clean out room first so we could put our bags in and go for a walk. We were put in tue attic (which was no problem as it was a late booking). However the en-suite was disgusting. It has blood next to the toilet roll holder, the shower was one which ran off the bath taps. It was dark and dingy. We requested another room. The same chap again, kindly offered us another room which was wasn't any better and stank of damp. He finally offered us a third room stating he would have to move a guest due to arrive soon. This room, although brighter had the smallest shower cubicle to known man. There is a previous review about being small. Sheesh, you could get in it without having to squeeze past the wall and door, it was mouldy, smelt and water pressure was terrible. In the bedroom the sheets were all dirty. I took photos and will update. A round of two drinks cost £6.60 in the bar. The same drinks cost £5.20 in the black bull across the road. Breakfast was interesting, the chef didn't bother turning up. It wasn't very nice. We both had cold toast, instant coffee, cereal had to be spooned out of a sweet bowl. What's that all about? Scrambled egg were very dry and plain. Mushrooms were sloppy and tastless and I can't remember what else I had to be honest. A short while later I read tue comments / visitors book and couldn't believe how ever entry was how great the place was. We left. The owners who were on holiday one minute suddenly turned up. Very strange. We both definitely will not recommend this place until they at least clean it and turn the top floor hallway lights on. Def not worth £95 a night. I would pay no more than £40. I offered to show the owners the state of all the rooms but they refused.

• Stayed September 2010
3 Thank GarethKd
YewdaleConiston, Owner at The Yewdale Inn, responded to this review, 22 October 2010
Wow we got this wrong!
There are a number of inaccuracies we could take up, but the main one is that we refused to view the bedroom is totally wrong as this incident appears to have happened whilst we WERE on holiday and our managers were in charge. If it was as said, why stay one night, we wouldn't have slept in the room described! Why read the visitors book and not make comment at the time?
We believe this review tells us more about the reviewer than the reviewed.
Our increasing numbers of returning guests is our reward for the hard work of ourselves and our staff and is supported by the vast majority of the Trip Advisor comments.
Visit us and judge for yourself
Peter & Beverley Kelly
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coniston
0.0 km away
0.1 km away
Lakeland House
Lakeland House
#1 of 15 in Coniston

Been to The Yewdale Inn? Share your experiences!