“Good food and live music”
Review of Sun Inn Restaurant

Sun Inn Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 17 Restaurants in Hawkshead
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Booked for a group of 8 over Easter weekend.
Good email communication from Alex, all ready for us to be seated July the booked time.
Food is unexpectedly different...not the average pub grub. More on the fine dining side...small but good menu, starters average £10 and Main around £17 to £20.
The group we were with all enjoyed the meals. If you have a big appetite maybe order a couple of sides.
Live music and dancing. Great Friday night.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

8 of us Dined last Saturday and the ambience, attentiveness and standard of food was all excellent. We were welcomed back as returning customers, table was ready at the allotted time and we all left full and happy.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had 3 Sunday Lunches & a Chicken Fajita. Soup was Brocolli, Stilton & barley which was delicious, but could have been hotter. The lunches were very nice, properly cooked veg, but the beef was a little tough. Nice service & a very good selection of beers. The chicken fajita was very tasty.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Recently stayed in Hawkshead and the chance to visit the Sun inn for, lunch, dinner and on one accasion just for beer. What a fantastic pub and the staff cannot do too much for you. Great selection of locals beers and as others have stated a lovely gin board to work through. For lunch I have the chicken supreme sandwich which was very nice, but so glad I went back for dinner. Had the lamb Henry and it was simply delicious , great portions and as the pub was full on a Monday night you knew it was a good choice. I will be back next time I stay in the area for sure.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I were spending the weekend in Hawkshead and we noticed the Sun Inn advertised live music. As musicians and music lovers we were very much looking forward to this! We chatted with the band outside as they were unloading their equipment and then we went in. A barman greeted us and I said: "We'll just look for a seat first", to which he replied in a brusque manner: "All the tables are booked!" (although there were a few empty tables). My wife stated: "So then, we can't have a seat..." He repeated: "No, they're all booked!" in a rather rude manner. As we walked out of the door, he shouted: "Thank you very much, goodbye!". What's the point of having an "A" board advertising a band playing live music if you are going to turn people away and make them feel unwelcome? In any case, there is no need to be so rude - we were both very offended! We will never return! There are 3 other more welcoming pubs in the village as we found out later...

suninnHawkshead, Front Office Manager at Sun Inn Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Hello mgmusic1,

I am very sorry that you felt this way when entering our inn We are a busy inn with live music and it is very rare that we do have spare seats when we have people eating and music on. This is why people book tables in advance. I'm sure the bar man would not of meant to of sounded 'rude' towards you and was probably just informing you that there were no seats. Not that you were not welcome in the pub. As for him shouting "Thank you very much, goodbye" in my eyes this is not being rude and is actually polite to say goodbye to our customers. Our inn is always a busy little place and we have many compliments especially on a Friday night as we are known for our great music.

Again I am very sorry that this is how you feel and hope that in the future you may come back and visit us.

Thanks