“Great location, good service, but overpriced and outdated”
Review of County Hotel

County Hotel
Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Kendal
British Columbia
“Great location, good service, but overpriced and outdated”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I stayed in a single room for one night. The hotel is right across the road from the Kendal train station, perfect for a quick stopover. This was my reasoning for staying here. The room was small, but cozy and relatively clean.

The service was good. I had been awake for 36 hours travelling from Canada and went to bed at 9pm. Shortly after turning out the lights in my room, the music in the bar started up (a tacky musician singing along to a drum machine catering to coach tour crowd). Seeing how it was only 9pm, it would have been out of line to complain, so I politely asked to switch rooms and the nice man at the front desk did everything he could to move me up a floor and to make sure I had a quiet room.

But all this aside, the negatives outweigh the positives and conveniences. The hotel is incredibly outdated and musty, and not a vibrant place, mainly catering to the middle-aged coach tour crowd. My shower drain was plugged, and seemed only to drain a bit every few minutes as if something else in the plumbing system was triggering it sporadically. Standing in ankle deep water minutes at a time to avoid overflowing the stall is not fun. And I felt the hotel is overpriced for what it offers. I paid £42.50 for a single; at this rate the hotel should make more than enough to upgrade and update.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank ash272

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2011

My partner and I stayed here on 4th June. It was a bit of a last minute booking we searched around the internet for hotels a couple of days before we went and found this was the only hotel in Kendal which wasn't fully booked - and for good reason!!
We arrived at 8:30pm and were given our key to room 207, for all the weather was sunny outside the room was dark and freezing cold.
The decor in the room was very dated with stains on the wallpaper, the tv was tiny and diffcult to work with the two remotes required (neither of which had battery covers so they kept falling out) however there was a note beside it explaining what you needed to do if you had a problem (basically turn it off at the wall until it decided that IT wanted to work - I did this about four times).
The toilet would only flush once every 25 minutes, when we mentioned this to the manager we were told that it was one of about seven rooms which had a 'slow flush'.
I could have coped with all of the above as thankfully it was only a one night stay but the bed in the room was an absolute disgrace, everytime one of us moved the spring noise was horrendeous. Neither of us got any sleep.
There were a couple of steps in the corridor directly outside of the room which also made a loud noise when walked on, this started from 5:30am when the other residents started to get up, at one point I honestly thought that there was someone in our room it was that loud.
Breakfast wasn't too clever, I ate mine in bed as I was too cold to get up.
When my partner complained to the manager we were offered £20 off our bill of £120, the manager said that he rarely got any complaints but he believed that this was because the hotel mainly catered for coach trips and the elderly not younger people. I agree the average age of customer would have been around 70 (we are both 29) but it shouldn't matter what age you are, no-one should have experience such poor quality.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Leanne072

Travellers are raving about these Kendal hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I can definitely recommend this Hotel, We stayed with a Weekending Coach Party and every single member of the party was made to feel really welcome by Simon and his team.
Okay, it is an old hotel but it is beautifully clean and far better than the plasticky modern hotels which are so impersonal. Our room was overlooking the busy junction by the station and was quite noisy but double glazing helped with that. The food was plentiful and well cooked and the staff were helpful and very friendly.
Even if we were not with a Coach Trip I would consider staying at this Hotel. Wonderful value!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank drg318
Dunblane, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2011

I just needed a bed for the night and the hotel sufficed.
TV didn't work - or perhaps I could not make it work because of the weird and complicated instructions, I just gave up.
No internet connection. Handy for the centre of town - try the Italian Restaurant "Paulo Gianni's.
Manager and breakfast staff friendly. The hotel is on the Coach Tour Circuit and was almost full. For £30 B& B I consider it a good stop off hotel for one night and preferable to the Travel Lodges/Premier Inns etc, but perhaps not for a longer visit.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
4 Thank Rob4Roy
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2011

it's noisy, dated, the manager and some staff treat customers as though they are the nuisance if they report anything wrong with what is provided...eg the TV's do'nt work, the heating cannot be regulated, windows are jammed open,.the noisefrom other rooms and the bar is horrendous , . you will be given your orders by the manager as soon as you arrive! Meals are chaotic and lacking in any nourishment. items oin the menu will be cancelled .....the staff seem stressed and inexperienced except two exceptional professional staff. all the cheeryness in the world is not deflected by calling everybody especially older women darling/my love etc
leisuretime travel co. uses this hotel so beware, their coach was something out of the ark, it was damp when setting off ,they had ovberbooked so that people were jammed into a substitute coach,seats with no leg room, could not recline the seats, could not turn air conditioning on, no seat belt on bACK SEAT,the driver gave hardly any information about stops etc, fiddled with his cd player a\nd drank from a water bottle while he was driving in a dangerous manner..........all in all an experience alright!!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends