“Now Throw-away cups, plates and cutlery wasteful and disappoints”
Review of Baba Ganoush

Baba Ganoush
Ranked #11 of 161 Restaurants in Kendal
Price range: US$7 - US$13
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Coffee shop, sandwich bar and Deli with tables to sit in or takeaway. Additional seating is available in the Canteen located a little further down the yard.
Reviewed 19 November 2017

Baba Ganoush used to be an excellent Kendal cafe offering friendly table service and great food. It's now just a deli with some tables to eat at.
They still have an excellent range of food. The cakes look great and the scones are superb. I chose to sit in, yet everything was served in wasteful throw away containers. And trying to butter a scone with butter with a flimsy plastic knife was impossible. Espcecially as it was served on a small tricky cardboard tray. Tasted fine but just it was just a pile of crumbs and lumps of firm butter. This is no way to serve scones! Please for the sake of the food and your customers - and to reduce costs and eliminate the waste, serve food in proper cups and real plates with real cutlery.

1  Thank Mytrippp

Reviewed 17 November 2017

Superb deli counter. Lovely salad boxes. Quiche is delicious. All we need now are more tables and seating - bigger premises please because you serve amazing food.

1  Thank Placeinthesunflowers
Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

We were aware of the changes at Baba Ganoush: no more canteen with its busy atmosphere with good food, but were prepared to give it a try as it was one of our favourite places to eat in Kendal. Instead you get your food at the Deli counter and if you're lucky (if that's the right word) you'll get a table in the Deli to sit at. We sat in the Deli to eat our Lamb Hotpot out of a cardboard bowl with plastic cutlery. The food was hot, but it should have been called Potato Hotpot with a tiny bit of lamb, as the majority of the serving was spuds. Nowhere near as good as it used to be.

I've read other reviewers who have commented on no toilet facilities and I also wondered about basic food hygiene watching the staff serve customers with long hair not covered or tied back (the staff not the customers, ha ha).

The table we sat at could have done with a wipe, but as Baba G seems to want to be some sort of takeaway that happens to offer a few tables, I imagine getting the table wiped is probably too big an ask, and maybe it wouldn't be such a good thing, given one reviewers comment about the state of the dishcloth she saw.

I had a look in the other premises across the way (the ex-canteen) and it looked utterly soulless, not somewhere you'd want to sit (maybe you can still use the loo in there though, not sure).

We concluded that the owners of Baba G want the throughput of takeaway customers who can part with their cash quickly, and clear off to eat somewhere else, so why not get rid of the tables altogether, may as well in my view. And serving everything in disposable bowls/trays etc with plastic cutlery and glasses is not exactly environmentally friendly is it?

1  Thank Rosiecat55
Reviewed 19 October 2017

I'm not really a soup fan, and had avoided going here despite my partner insisting that the food was great. She frequently gets lunch here and had told me repeatedly the soup was like nothing you've tried before. Eventually I gave up and joined her, and I have to say I'm sorry I didn't try sooner. I had the most delicious pea and ham soup with croutons and sourdough bread. I really enjoyed it. I've since been back and had the cider and white onion, also fantastic. I will be visiting often!

1  Thank -80-J-
Reviewed 17 October 2017

Great lunch today, beef soup sooo tasty, choice of accompanying bread - really good. Friends had quiche and salad - lots of choice and all well prepared. There is a lovely atmosphere here, busy and the air buzzing with chatter, all ages eating happily, sharing tables was not at all intrusive. We need more cafes like this. Equally good was the reasonable price. Super.