“Great place for a light snack”
Review of Armstrong Ward

Armstrong Ward
Ranked #2 of 5 Dessert in Kendal
Description: Within Armstrong Ward our small café is often described by customers as a "hidden gem". We offer a range of lovely cakes, scones and tray bakes, great coffee and proper loose tea. We also serve home made soup and sandwiches, all made with fresh, local and seasonal ingredients. We have a children's menu and daily homemade specials. We are accessible for prams and wheelchairs, have highchairs and a customer loo with baby change facilities too. A pay and display parking adjacent to Armstrong Ward café.
Reviewed 31 July 2017

We ate here for the first time last week. We're regular visitors to Kendal and used to either have lunch at Booths cafe or Farrers. Booths cafe has deteriorated beyond all recognition so we don't eat there any more and Farrers is always extremely busy with a long wait for tables & service. So, we decided to try Armstrong Ward and we were very glad we did ! It was quiet, very clean & with tables available. Staff were friendly. The soup (Butternut Squash and Sweet Poatato) was delicious & piping hot. My only criticism was it was too salty.
I asked for wholemeal bread with my soup but the girl at the counter didn't know if it was wholemeal bread & had to ask another member of staff. In fact when the bread was served I knew exactly what it was. It was the lovely omega wholemeal bread from the local artisan bakers "Staff of Life". The staff should really be able to inform customers about what is being served. Funny that I knew more about the bread than the staff !
My companion had a latte which was large & excellent.
The cakes & scones looked delicious and next time I'm in Kendal & want to sit in a peaceful cafe & have tea & cake this is the place I'll choose !

Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

This small coffee shop is hidden away between Booths and Marks and Spencer's and is well worth seeking out.
We visit regularly when shopping and think it has excellent coffee. We only drink decaf and theirs is excellent.

Over the year they have reduced their menu mainly to include soup and sandwiches and a good array of cakes and biscuits. The Florentines are wonderful but sadly only seem to arrive around Christmas time.

There's a nice little basket of toys for children, plus high chairs, and a variety of tables and chairs, to suit a range of customers. There's also a small toilet available.

Part of the main store, there's plenty to look at and it's a good place to buy presents. There's an interesting selection of jewellery downstairs and plenty of children's things upstairs.

Plenty of parking and you can log on to Booth's wifi for free!

Reviewed 11 June 2017

Armstrong Ward Cafe serves the best coffee in Kendal and the cakes are amazing... my husband's favourite is the Carrot Cake, my children favour the Brownies and mine is the Blondie (very yummy!!). The cafe has a super relaxed atmosphere, the staff are friendly and the added bonus is of course the beautiful shop (upstairs and down), where you can always find the perfect gift, home accessory or even sofa! Well worth a visit if you are in Kendal.

ArmstrongWard, Owner at Armstrong Ward, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2017

Thank you very much for your lovely review, so chuffed that we are a firm favourite with the whole family!

Reviewed 8 June 2017

Conveniently located right next to Booths in Kendal's centre, this is my favourite cafe to stop at for lunch or a snack if I'm in Kendal for any reason. It's bright and cheery, a really lovely atmosphere, with lovely, friendly staff.

The food is great too. You can't go wrong ordering the soup, which changes daily, and is always really tasty. I recommend choosing the artisan bread if you're having the soup, although the cheese scones are great option too. But you can't beat the bread. It's delicious! They also do lovely sandwiches (smoked salmon and cream cheese, or cheddar and apple chutney being my favourites), or giant platters and cheese boards if you have more of an appetite.

The cake selection also changes daily, but my regular favourites are the almond and raspberry blondies or the lemon and raspberry drizzle. I'm not a coffee drinker, so I can't comment on their coffee, but it looks good. If you're a tea drinker, like me, I highly recommend the loose leaf peppermint green tea, which I get every time I come here without fail. It's divine! If I had one request, it would be that they expand their selection of loose leaf teas, because this one is excellent but it would be good to have more choice.

Also if you have any intolerances/dietary requirements, make sure to ask the staff. It's surprising how many of the options are gluten and/or dairy free!

I really can't complain about anything and I highly it recommend it to others if they're in Kendal (although, please don't steal my table haha!) The shop is also lovely if you have time to browse!

2  Thank Imogen U
ArmstrongWard, Manager at Armstrong Ward, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2017

Thank you Imogen for such a lovely review! We will definitely look at expanding our loose tea offering, thank you for the suggestion.

Reviewed 27 May 2017

Went to meet a friend for lunch and a catch up chat. There werehigh chairs for children, mums with babies who were feeding and good wheelchair access. The food is well made snacks - just right for a lunch time visit and there is a good shop which is part of the ambiance.

ArmstrongWard, Owner at Armstrong Ward, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2017

Thank you for your review Carole, glad you enjoyed your visit.