“Poor quality and expensive”

Grey Walls Restaurant
Ranked #33 of 84 Restaurants in Windermere
Price range: US$6 - US$45
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 1 September 2018

We went for a 60th birthday, we were very disappointed with the service, some items didn’t even come out. One meal didn’t come out until the other 12 had almost finished. Sauces and onion rings for the steaks didn’t appear. Waiter gave us the late meal for free and round of drinks has an apology but then they were on the bill. Had 15 minute argument with the manager who refused to knock them off the bill , would not go there again.

Reviewed 27 August 2018

Went here for a Sunday lunch for two adults and a childs meal. The roast beef was rubbery and tasteless, the veg was lukewarm with lumpy mash and a carrot and swede mash that was overpowered with horseradish. The brockley,cailiflower and green beans came in a separate dish awash with water - indicating it was frozen - the cauliflower was covered in tasteless white sauce, the yorkshire puddings were well burned and the roast potatoes were awful too. The childs meal was macaroni cheese which was obviously from a packet. It was totally unappetising all round. And to top it all the beer was cloudy and warm. A complete waste of money.

Reviewed 21 August 2018 via mobile

Went here for a meal with 2 children aged 9 and 14.
My 14 yr old son ordered a steak , requested as medium but came rare- it was returned to the kitchen and put back under the grill before being brought back after the rest of us had started eating.
Following this nobody came to check on the food until plates collected at the end;
My son was taking a while to finish his food and when I intervened , as the rest of us had finished ,realised half the steak was dry and tough as leather ;
I reported this to the manager when plates collected soon after this but was told there was nothing she could do as half the meal had been eaten - she felt we should have sent it back at the start for an alternative ( even though I explained I wasn’t aware at the time as it wasn’t my meal ) and , by the time we realised ,the rest of us had finished eating ;
Further comment was also made about me ordering an adult meal for a child !!- not sure how many 14 yr olds still order from the children’s limited menu !!!!
We stated we weren’t satisfied still but were still refused a refund for the meal,which we feel was very poor customer service and certainly won’t be returning during our week in Windermere!!

Reviewed 13 August 2018

Burgers all round for the family whilst on holiday. Pleasant enough, but not outstanding. It was unfortunate that the waitress or kitchen staff mis-interpreted our request for two of the burgers to be "plain without sauce" as they came without salad but containing relish. They were replaced, but it caused a longish wait, and by the time the children were served, DH and I had finished, and the two girls were getting a bit past eating.

The bar area was nice enough, but the atmosphere was rather spoilt by a large screen showing football with the sound turned well up.

Reviewed 9 August 2018

I stopped here for a drink whilst staying local the bar was very clean and well presented the staff were friendly and polite although I didn't eat anything the food passing me looked very good

Date of visit: July 2018