“Wow, better than ever”

Ranked #29 of 84 Restaurants in Windermere
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 19 September 2018

Well, the 1st Floor certainly moves with the times. And that is non more reflected than by the menu. There has always been a charm to the place but now at least it offers something progressive; a tilt toward modern brunch fare that keeps it relevant. A series of dishes dinstinct and unique.

Credit must even be given to the small selection of sandwiches. They're not just basic (like in many cafes!) but instead, the ham comes with a vibrant pineapple chutney. The falafel burger is complemented by a delicious houmous and chili jam all of it presumed homemade. And while both delicious, a more imaginitive garnish would have been appreciated.

The cake selection (visible on arrival) was wonderful - a full complement of offerings. The..best..tiffin..ever and a peanut butter cake which was indulgent yet thankfully not too sweet.

The cafe does most things really well and I'd say it's well worth a visit.

1  Thank AmandaVerbhore
FirstF15, Public Relations Manager at The 1st Floor Cafe @Lakeland, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2018

Thank you for your review, we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 11 September 2018

Graze was closed - should've checked first, then Brambles didn't do breakfasts. We haven't been to the Lakeland cafe for a few years so off we went.

There's a certain quality you get from this place and the service was better than ever, a lady moved between the tables looking to respond to any requests or clear empty plates.

Surprisingly there was very little choice as regards breakfast. Full English, Veggy brek, Sausage/ Bacon sandwich, toast and jams. Very strange.

The English breakfast was £9, £2 more than my local in Prestbury and there were no beans, just an extra egg. Black pudding was delicious and the hash brown was very good, probably home made, not your usual triangular affair. The sausages were thin and very firm.

The veg breakfast was a little disappointing, Avocado was bitter, cold and a little crunchy in parts - probably under ripe. The sausages were tasty but overcooked on the outside.

The drinks were all good and as I say, the service was friendly and professional.

We'd still return, there's a nice ambience about the place.

1  Thank RazzyBthefirst
FirstF15, Public Relations Manager at The 1st Floor Cafe @Lakeland, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2018

Thank you for your review, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2018 via mobile

I was very confused with the reviews so thought I would check it out myself and glad I did. It's great! Heaps of choice on the menu and is suitable for all dietary needs. I felt the previous menu didn't offer this and left last time disappointed. I found the menu last time outdated and unhealthy. Glad they have now changed for the better. The food potions are perfect. My partner eats heaps and he said he was stuffed. I found the potions not too overpowering. The service was great and I will certainly be coming back and passing on my recommendation. Don't go to this cafe if all you want is a prawn cocktail or a jacket potato. Go if you want fresh, great tasting food!lemon drizzle cake was AWESOME!

2  Thank Claire R
FirstF15, Public Relations Manager at The 1st Floor Cafe @Lakeland, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2018

Thank you for such a great review! we are so glad you enjoyed your visit, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 8 September 2018

After shopping downstairs, my daughter and I needed a drink. The car is on the top floor with huge glass floor to ceiling windows, affording good views of Windermere. There is full tables, and just casual seating for drinks. There was a chiller cabinet with mouth watering cakes and scones on display, that can also be taken away. People around us who ordered food, appeared to be served promptly and with generous sized portions on their plates.

1  Thank jillmccarthy2017

Thank you very much for your review! We hope to see you soon again!

Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

We went for breakfast several times during August and have to say the food is really quite amazing. The veggie breakfast, the full breakfast (great black pudding) and the avocado and eggs are my favourites.

3  Thank LakesMB

Thanks for such a wonderful review, we hope to see you again soon!