“If you'd like to wait an hour and a half and get shouted at at the end of the evening come here”

Taj Mahal Streatham Hill
Ranked #16,561 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 10 September 2017

We have visited this restaurant many times, but last night was our first Saturday night, and probably our last visit.
We, along with 5 other tables waited an hour an a half for our food.
Priority is clearly given to take away orders as bags and bags of deliveries were coming from the kitchen. No apologies made by staff, not even a comment on how long our wait would be, or offers of anything to keep us going. Even trying to order drinks was taking 40 minutes.
Food good once it came but the worst part in the end was being shouted at at the end of the night by a lady, and I use that term lightly, who claims to be ex staff, arriving at the end of the evening shouting and screaming and sticking 2 fingers up as we sat at our table, that we, and other customers had no right to complain about waiting so long as they were busy. She even threw something at us as we were leaving. The staff made no attempt to ask her to leave, quieten down or apologise for her rude behaviour and seemed to think offering to take 1 pint of beer off our bill was an acceptable solution. If the owner reads this I hope he is ashamed of his staff for how they handled the situation and whoever the rude obnoxious older lady was whose behaviour was utterly disgraceful.
As we probably won't visit again he can't personally make it up to us but an apology if he reads this would be nice. And if I was him he should think twice about taking a Saturday night off.

1  Thank misspgt

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

I visited with my partner on Saturday 9th September 2017.
We waited 1 hour & 40 minutes for our food. Although the food was good it would appear this restaurant at particular times prioritises it's take away orders and unfortunately Saturday night is one of them. The waiters didn't tell us when we came in that the waiting time was that long and even while we were waiting they could at least have made us aware that our food could be sometime but they didn't.
To cap it all it would also appear that they employ a female busy body who made it her business to stick her nose in when customers complained about the appalling service. She alone almost caused a riot and that added to the apparent lack of customer service by the restaurant staff and that spoiled the evening.
We will expect at the very least an apology from the owner of the restaurant if he reads this and in the meantime we will be giving the restaurant a wide berth and certainly won't recommend it to friends and family.

2  Thank Stephen L
Reviewed 11 July 2017

I use this restaurant on a regular basis and always find the premises clean, the staff friendly and the food very good. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone who enjoys Indian cuisine.

1  Thank Trevor H
Reviewed 18 June 2017

My wife and I have been coming here for some time now. I have never had anything but good attentive service and excellent quality food. Nothing is too much trouble, the staff are attentive without being over the top.

There are plenty of other restaurants in Balham and Tooting that could learn from these people who have been going for 55 years, so they must be doing something right.

Also noticed people coming in for takeaways who were happy to have a beer and some poppadums whilst waiting for their order which is a nice touch.

I always have the Lamb Madras as does my wife, but think I should try some of the Balti .

Nice touch with a table that were in for a birthday - lovely cake and they all seemed happy.

Give it a go!

2  Thank Scott T
Reviewed 29 May 2017

I ordered via Deliveroo and was very disappointed. The packaging is very cheap and two containers had leaked over the other food so it was right mess and the poppadums were soggy. The chicken tikka was really dry and the mutter paneer had no spices. The most disappointing dish was the makhani dahl which had no spice, no lentils, no beans and was mostly cream. Have had this dish tens of times in other restaurants and this did not resemble anything like what it should have done. Very disappointing and would not recommend.