“Cocktails ”

Ranked #3,318 of 25,561 Restaurants in London
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Fitzrovia
Description: Vibrant, buzzy Oscar is an upbeat bar and restaurant with a chic Fitzrovia clientele and a modern British menu. Set in the charming Charlotte Street Hotel, this lively space is vivaciously decorated with colourful striped chairs and a dynamic mural of contemporary London by Alexander Hollweg. Inventive, vigorous dishes such as loin of venison with onion squash, chestnuts and blackberries and lemon sole with caper butter issue forth from the open kitchen.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We came here late Sunday afternoon for drinks. My wife had a cocktail and myself a glass of southern French red wine.

Cocktail was great and glass of wine decent quality but I thought at nearly £26 to include 12.5% service it was a tad expensive.

Having said that great service, comfortable surroundings and decent loos made it all very enjoyable. Recommend with the caveat that drinks here are very pricey.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Had an excellent meal for the pre-cinema event here. The waiting staff are great, the food lovely - all in all excellent. The film started 15 mins late which was a bit annoying but was OK.
As an event it is to be recommended. The restaurant, where I have had several meals before, never fails to please.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 8 March 2018

We attended the "Film Club". This is a four-and-a-half star experience: superb, but could be just that little bit better. Definitely go, it's a great evening, and good value.

We arrived early and had a cocktail in the bar. The staff are extremely welcoming, friendly and helpful - they came to remind us 5 minutes before the film started. We were able to take our drinks downstairs to the cinema.

In the cinema, free popcorn (a choice of sweet or salted) and blankets are provided.

At dinner, the food was delicious. However, the menu could have a little more variety -- starters were soup, pork or fish; mains were spaghetti, pork and fish! I had pork followed by fish; my companion had fish followed by pork.

The only let-down for the evening was that the menu we were presented with was the £50 option including champagne, rather than the £40 option I had booked. I asked the waiter for the £40 option but he said there was no such thing. We agreed to take the champagne "later", and never asked for it. I felt they might be trying to "bounce" us into the £50 option. When we got the bill it was the correct £40 option. (Actually there was another thing on it we hadn't ordered, two more cocktails -- we had already paid for the cocktails before the movie -- but the bill was swiftly corrected.)

Total bill was £120, comprising 2*£40 cinema+set menu, a £27 bottle of wine, and service.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 19 February 2018

Friends and I enjoyed dinner here before a show and I was very impressed by the ambience and attention by the staff. We arrived early and our table was not ready but we were offered seating in the library and other rooms which are beautifully finished to a high quality, where we had our pre dinner drinks. The chairs were so comfortable that we joked about staying here for dinner and the staff said our meal could be brought to the table here if we wanted - another time perhaps! The food itself was well presented, lacked a little flavour we thought and the prices are typical of London, but the unusual décor and beauty of the surroundings made this a unique experience. So if lounging around in beautiful and atmospheric restaurants is your thing, you will enjoy it: if fine cuisine in similar is your bag, you may be disappointed. I will go again to see if it was just that night......

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

We had dinner here midweek. The atmosphere is modern and classy and very pleasant although the low ceilings tended to amplify the noise and we were very disturbed by loud conversation at nearby tables.
Service throughout was excellent friendly and efficient. The food was well presented but unfortunately nothing special, we had expected better.

Date of visit: February 2018

Been to Oscar Restaurant & Bar? Share your experiences!