“You get what you pay for!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Palace Court Studios
Ranked #542 of 928 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 14 June 2013

But with that title I don't mean that it's a bad place in which to stay. After reading many traveller reviews here and on another websites, I knew more or less what to expect.

I arrived with my friend and they charged me 3% because I was paying with my credit card - something I was already aware of after reading a review, so it didn't bother me. We had requested a twin room, NOT in the basement, but guess what we got? Yes, a basement room with a double bed. I complained at the desk and the guy told me it was a "good room", and that a small couch in there could be opened and turned into a single bed. My friend tried this smaller bed and liked it, and I took the double bed, so we accepted the room. Guy at frontdesk said we could try to change rooms the next morning but we would have to wait and see if someone would check out, but we didn't want to wait until 11am so we kept the room for the whole stay. I was a little disappointed as I expected to enjoy the view but it wasn't so bad in the end. Like I said, you get what you pay for - the location alone made up for this little misunderstanding.

And it really was a good room: spacious, a bay window, one double bed, the smaller sofa-bed, a couch, one Ikea 2-door wardrobe with mirrors on the doors (Narnia feelings) and a few coat hangers, one Ikea dresser with 3 drawers, two nighstands, a small table and 3 chairs, a 22" flat-screen TV, an ironing table (!) and even a normal-sized iron inside the wardrobe. My bed was also comfortable, and there were plenty of pillows and covers. I sleep with earplugs so I didn't hear a thing, but my friend slept by the window without earplugs and she said she slept like a baby, no noise from traffic or passers-by.

A dor separated bedroom and kitchen, which I liked, because I had seen pictures of kitchens that were inside the bedroom and I didn't want one like that since I can't sleep when the room smells like food. The kitchen had a small fridge, stove, oven, microwave, toaster, electric kettle, glasses, glass mugs, wine glasses, plates, cutlery, detergent, sponge, salt, assorted pots and pans, a plastic dish rack and plenty of room in the cabinets. It had everything you need in a kitchen except napkins, and dish and paper towels! (We didn't use the stove, though)

The bathroom was tiny, but manageable. Towel rack placed weirdly on wall above toilet. Towels ok. Shower above bathtub, could have used a hook there on the wall. Weird, long strand of hair on bathroom door. One night I was in the shower and the water went almost cold, happened again the next day and we realized we couldn't turn on the water in the kitchen or the shower would go cold.

Staff was very friendly, but every day we found a different person on the desk. We didn't really need assistance with anything, so I can't comment on that. We didn't use the laundry room either. Housekeeping stopped by every day, cleaned the room in an average way but they even did the dishes one morning, when we had left it in the sink because we left in a hurry!

Free wireless internet signal was good in the basement, we had two options being basement and ground floor modems.

Like I said, you get what you pay for. I loved staying there because it was close to Kensington Park and two tube stations, there were also many supermarkets, restaurants and useful stores going north on Queensway street. We also walked to Portobello Market on Saturday, it was that close and very conveniently located. We even walked to Paddington Station one morning. The downside is that the hotel could use a renovation, everything looked a little shabby, and the front desk looks like it was decorated in the 1980's and then never again. There was an elevator right next to our room but we didn't hear a thing, it was very quiet.

So if you're not picky and choose to stay here you will have a great time in London without having to pay a small fortune for acommodations. It's certainly an "Average" hotel when it comes to the rooms, but the price and location make it a "Very Good" to me.

Room Tip: We stayed at room 13, basement, front, facing Bayswater Road.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ArabellaMarx

Reviewed 29 May 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 May 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2013

First the good points – the location was close to Hyde Park, and the flat was clean, and the flat was not a bad size for London.

But:

• The traffic on the Bayswater Road is so loud that it is impossible to sleep without earplugs, as the road is just outside and there is only single glazing.
• The water from the hot tap is under pressure and boiling temperate – so I scaled my hand badly and did not dare try the shower;
• The oven did not work – it burnt the food – even though I cooked it on the one shelf;
• The management had to replace the microwave as the original one had scorch marks inside as if it had caught fire.
• The daily cleaning only involves emptying the kitchen bin most days;
• My sheet and towel each had a hole in;
• The reception forgot about British Summer Time so was not open at 09.10 – even though it was supposed to open at 08.30.

Would I stay here again? No – I’d go back to Studios2Let in Cartwright Gardens.

Very disappointed.