“The Good & the Bad”
Review of Kennington B & B

Kennington B & B
Ranked #50 of 566 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 December 2016

First the good: Super location, less than 100 yards from Tube station - on Northern line with easy access to tourist sites and downtown business areas. Continental Breakfast was terrific. Rooms, Kitchen/Dining area, and bathrooms were all very clean. Proprietor very friendly and exceptionally helpful - also resides next door.
The Bad: Boiler for radiator programmed to shut down for several hours during the night - while I like it cool at night, it was too cold. We suffered cold nights in our room until I raised the issue on day 3 and the proprietor reprogrammed the settings for us. B&B is off of a fairly busy street - more noise than expected. For Ground Floor rooms, bathroom is a 1/2 flight of stairs away and down a small unheated hallway. Therefore recommend an upper floor room. Due to proximity to Tube, could actually hear the rumbling of the trains underground - not too loud but a bit weird. Also noteworthy is that the Northern line just started running 24 hrs instead of shutting down at midnight or so. New guests arrive at all hours of night and that can be disruptive for Ground floor sleepers - one night, one new guest actually mistakenly barged into our room! While we had a "King" bed, it was not comfortable as it is actually to full beds joined with a hard seam in the middle. Lastly, although I not sure I ever heard or saw him, the proprietor's young adult son resides in one of the B&B rooms - a bit odd.
The good and the bad average out to just O.K.

Room Tip: Recommend upper floors and avoid ground floor.
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Jolangfo
STG65, Owner at Kennington B & B, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2016

Firstly thank you for staying at our B&B and for your review and for the good points
With regard to the"bad"I know that the word bad will put off a lot of potential guests which is not very good for me but please let me assure potential guests -do not hesitate to contact me at any time and ask me any question you would like in particular if this review has raised any worries for you.
I will however address some of the points raised in the review as some of them are not entirely accurate and may put off future guests.
Firstly with regard to the heating. I think this raises the most queries from guests. One persons hot is another persons cold and vice a versa. The biggest complaint being that's the rooms get too hot and so we are left in the position of having our heating on and the windows wide open. We do have the heating on a timer as the majority of our guests complain about sleeping in a hot room, and believe me the rooms get very hot it is a very well insulated house and the cast-iron radiators are very very effective. The heating is timed to go off between 3 AM and 6:30 AM and I have never had a complaint about this but when this guest raised the issue of the heating going off I switched off the timer and ensured that he had heat 24 hours of the day. The temperature when they stayed was 56 degrees average heat for the UK for this time of year but would probably seem cold for somebody from Texas, as the guests said as soon as he raised the issue with me I rectified it however as he says in his review he did not tell me until the 3rd day. Also to note the heating can be turned off in your room by the control on the radiator if they room does get too hot.
The underground-in order to be close to transport and get around easily you need to be just that close to transport. The tube does run under the B and B (it runs under most of London) During the week the tube stops running at 12:30 and does not restart until just before 6 AM-whilst it is true the tube has started a service of 24 hours it is not every night, it is only on Friday and Saturday nights.
Everybody is given keys to their rooms and the front door, I apologise for a guest mistaking their room for his? It was not an issue that was raised with me so I cannot really comment other than to say guests can lock their rooms.
I'm not sure why the Guest reviewer thinks it is odd that a member of the family lives in the B and B. It is after all a B and B and most common in the United Kingdom is that the whole family lives in the B and B. As he said he did not see or hear my son so not sure why this was even raised as a problem or even under the heading "bad" though -to note is that insurers prefer this

Reviewed 1 December 2016

My Husband and I stayed at The Kennington for a 3 night getaway. Had a warm and friendly greeting from Sian. Stayed in Apartment 17 on the 1st floor at the rear of the property. What a lovely room...all mod cons, with a view of the courtyard garden looking very pretty lit up with fairy lights!
Use of the kitchen in the basement was a plus where you could make tea/coffee and take in takeaways if desired...to be eaten in the kitchen. Breakfast is buffet style with plenty of cereal, fruit, yoghurt, pastries etc. House keeper certainly looked after us well!
I would make 1 suggestion and that would be to have shelving/table by the sink in bathroom and something in the shower cubicle for toiletries. Would definitely stay here again and am recommending to family and friends.

Room Tip: rooms at the rear are quieter
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
STG65, Owner at Kennington B & B, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2016

Thank you so much for staying and for your great review
It always great to get helpful comments and have taken them on board
Hope to see you both again

Reviewed 1 December 2016

My wife and I arrived at the Kennington B &B very late (1AM!!) because of airline difficulties including lost baggage. Sian greeted us promptly, graciously, and offered assistance with personal care in the absence of our baggage. Mind you, this was at 1 AM!!! and she was welcoming--did I say thaat it was 1 AM!! The remainder of our stay was equally gracious, breakfast was superb, and we received a suggestion for a day trip exploring an outdoor flower market; this became a highlight of our trip. We can't say enough great things about Sian and the Kennington B&B, treat yourself and stay here whenever possible.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
STG65, Owner at Kennington B & B, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2016

Thank you so much for your lovely review. You are both such wonderful people anyone else would have done the same. I am glad you got your luggage eventually and that it did not ruin your stay too much.
I hope we meet again.

Reviewed 22 November 2016

I had come down to London from Leicester for a wedding nearby to Kennington (Vauxhall) and had stayed over with a friend in Twickenham the night before for ease of travel. Having kindly been given the availability of an early check in, what should have been a short 40 min journey to Kennington B&B took nearly 3 hours because of 2 demonstrations in central London. Having rung Sian (the proprietor) to explain, she guided me in from where I was stuck in traffic and, understanding my need for speed on arrival ensured I was promptly installed in a fabulous and interesting room (well .. more of a total flat ... beautifully clean, cleverly laid out with 'hidden' doors, tastefully decorated and furnished to a high spec), set up an ironing board for me and basically could not have been more helpful. Sian had already explained in previous conversations where parking would be available in the streets behind Kennington Road so I was able to park up with ease. She also rang and booked a taxi to get me to the church. The accommodation was really lovely, the bed was the most comfortable bed I have experienced in a hotel, the water pressure was excellent and there was loads of storage for everything. Also the wifi was free and superb - big plus for me. There was a private entrance to a sweet little garden out at the back which would be delightful in the summer. My only negative comments would be that (from my basement room at least) you could occasionally hear the rumble of the northern line below - but not too disturbing and that's the price you pay for being so conveniently close to Kennington Tube; and I would have liked some surfaces/shelves available in the bathroom to pop my toiletries on. The following day (post wedding!) Sian was patient and very good humoured as I ventured through the wrong door to reach the breakfast room and stuck bread in the toaster the wrong way. Despite no 'full English' option, breakfast was really enjoyable and nicely presented in a very friendly relaxed atmosphere. All in all, a great stay. Thank you. Laura.

• Stayed: November 2016, travelled solo
STG65, Owner at Kennington B & B, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2016

Thank you for staying.
It was lovely to meet you and so glad that you enjoyed your stay albeit very short

Reviewed 12 November 2016 via mobile

A very nice B&B situated in SE11 that was perfect for our needs. Sian is a lovely hostess who sorted all our requests prior to our arrival, parking being top on the agenda. We slept well, the shower was great and the breakfast plentiful. If we return to London we would stay here again as the tube was less than a minute away on foot.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business

It was lovely to meet the 3 of you. Thank you so much for staying and being such great guests