“Underwhelmed by the food, but friendly service”
Review of Bar Boulud

Bar Boulud
Ranked #1,244 of 27,051 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Knightsbridge
Description: 'OPEN NOW FOR CHRISTMAS RESERVATIONS' As the only London restaurant of Michelin-starred chef Daniel Boulud, Bar Boulud offers a truly special dining experience. A stylish bistro and wine bar specialising in seasonal, rustic French cooking, Bar Boulud's relaxed ambience and fabulous cuisine has won plaudits from critics and diners alike.
Reviewed 12 March 2018

Very friendly and efficient serving staff at Bar Boulud. The food however was a very mixed bag, with some of it being good (the steak was nice) and some being disappointing (the shrimp cocktail lacked any kick, the macarons were hard as rocks). The room also lacked ambience in my opinion. The prices are relatively expensive but not out of proportion for Knightsbridge. Overall I was underwhelmed and would not rush back.

Date of visit: March 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,265)

Reviewed 9 March 2018

I visited with my fiance for a 'date night' and we absolutely loved Bar Boulud, everything from the food to the service and ambiance was wonderful.

The spinach and artichoke dip was surprisingly delicious - we had been recommended it by a friend and was so much more than the description suggests, more like a cheese fondue! Steak tartare was fresh and flavourful and the burgers are incredible! Definitely the best burgers in London. I also absolutely loved my dessert, the tropical fruit souffle was wonderful and light with a smooth coconut sorbet.

The cocktails and wine were lovely, and service was attentive but not intrusive - the perfect balance in my opinion and made us feel very well looked after.

A brilliant restaurant for an excellent meal with good service, made even better by the fact that it is all quite reasonably priced given the area and setting.

Reviewed 5 March 2018

Having dined at Boulud 2 star establishment in NYC and having received fab food and exceptional service, I was curious how that will translate into what is essentially a neighbourhood bistro. Yes, it is nothing fancy, truly no bells or whistles, and the space itself is rather pedestrian, looks way less impressive than what website leads one to believe, but the French classics were decently executed, and service excellent. It is also very good value 2 or 3 course choice for pre-theatre timing with bottomless glass of wine, which may explain quite a few student age young people at long tables around us. Disappointingly they ran out of a lot of the basics, like the muscles appearing on the limited menu, which I find remarkable for a bistro, a bistro without moules! Overall, nothing to rave home about but reliable, and given I do not find area area around Harvey Nichs or Harrods to be particularly rich with any decent quick dining places, with few notable exceptions, this is a welcome addition. Will definitely visit again for a quick bite to eat, or meal on the run, but nothing more special than that.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed 4 March 2018

A second lunch at the Bar Bolud was just as pleasant and successful as before. We were four. Noon saw us almost alone: by 12.30 the place was full. Fairly noisy, but good ambience overall and no background 'music', thank heaven.

We had a rich, genuine onion soup, followed by coq au vin three times and one volaille roti. I thought my coq au vin was a fraction oversalted, but I'm a low salt or no salt person, Most other people would be quite happy. Portions were large enough not to need anything more than coffee afterwards. The wines were Puligny by the glass and a carafe of acceptable red burgundy. A pleasant, well-served meal.

Overall, about £60 a head including the tip. One is paying for the location and the style. Location is fine. Style is a matter of taste. Apart from the staff, only one other bloke in the room was wearing a tie with their distinctly pricey suits. This is 'smart casual'. The term is 50% correct, but then I'm a million years old next Wednesday and may be a trifle behind the curve.

Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

From the service, to the venue, to the meal. All was superb. Maybe a bit more cheese on the raclette :)
We went for the bottomless wine 3 dishes offer meal and it was great. Don't forget to try the gateau Basque, this is the only place in London where you can have it

Date of visit: February 2018

Been to Bar Boulud? Share your experiences!