“Rainy Day Visit”

Book In Advance
More Info
US$81.41*
and up
Natural History Museum London Small Group Guided...
Ranked #13 of 1,815 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A center of scientific excellence in the discovery of taxonomy and biodiversity, this world-famous museum promotes the discovery and enjoyment of the natural world through such exciting exhibits as the Life and Earth Galleries, wildlife garden and geological collections.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Maundy Thursday, 2:40pm and it's absolutely chucking it down. My partner and I saw the queue was LONG and considered turning back and finding something else to do. Thankfully we persevered, and the queue moved very quickly, getting us in the building in around 25 minutes, so don't be put off by the sheer volume of people outside!
Entrance is free but with a suggested donation of £5. The cafe's are VERY pricey for the corner shop style food on offer so you may consider that your donation instead.
We spent 3 hours there but honestly could have even spent a little longer.
Was personally disappointed by the Human Evolution section as most of the specimens on display are casts and not originals. The information on offer in that section was very interesting though and my highlight was Cheddar Man!
The dinosaur exhibition is fascinating and definitely the main attraction. It's very geared towards children though, and some of the more interesting casts are hanging from the ceiling with little more than a tiny plaque of explanation about it, for example the Deinocheirus arms are very impressive but I'd love to have known more about this giant beast.
All in all, definitely worth a visit if natural history is your thing!

Write a ReviewReviews (29,586)
All reviews
in 3,443 reviews
"mammals"
in 612 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This museum is a must-see, it's one of the biggest in London. No only is it free, but there is so much to see that one day there is not enough to visit the whole building. Whether you love dinosaurs or reptiles, insects or geology, there is a section for you where you learn a lot about species, with interactive displays and videos. Don't miss the huge whale replica!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Okay so I’m biased...as all my family and friends know already this is my all time favourite museum. Every time I get the chance to spend time in London, whether on a short break or down time whilst working in the city I head for the NHM. This most recent visit didn’t disappoint as there is always something new to see or discover a display that you’d previously missed.
The most recent Sensational Butterflies exhibit does have an entry fee of around £6 each or about £20 for a family ticket. It is spectacular and worth the additional cost.
As the museum is free entry I feel it is sometimes worthwhile paying for the additional exhibits. All of the old favourites were there minus the Tyrannosaurus in the entrance foyer (he’s on tour).
A great daytime activity for all the family.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

My kids and I love the natural history museum. It was our third year to visit while staying in London. Queues went long to get in. We arrived before it opened and had about 45 mins in the queue. Very interesting museum and really engaging for kids. My 9 year old in particular loved the dinosaur section. We stayed about 3 hours. Although it’s free, most people give a donation.

1  Thank 3Jennie3