“Great service from attentive and knowledgeable staff.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Refinery Limited
Ranked #107 of 722 Spas & Wellness in London
More attraction details
Owner description: Stop in for a “pick-me-up” at one of London’s premier one-stop grooming emporiums for men, offering barbering, skincare, bodycare and spa treatments.
Reviewed 22 February 2013

I stopped by The Refinery for the first time this week for a wet shave on a recommendation from a friend.

I was very impressed at the attentiveness of the service when welcomed, and while I was waiting. As it was my first time at The Refinery I was guided through the treatment by my barber, he took the time to discuss my usual skincare routines with me and explained what he thought would be best procedure in detail, something I really appreciated.

In all it was a very relaxing and enjoyable experience and I left extremely happy, I would have no hesitation in recommending The Refinery to anyone.

1  Thank John F

Reviewed 15 July 2012

Having used this spa for the last 10 years (!), it's time to move on. Over the last 12 months or so, this establishment has gone from being an amazing place where you go to relax and re-energise to an embarrasment. Their therapists are more 'international' now, untrained, disinterested and generally miserable. Wet floors, damp (reused) towels and a shabby decor makes it feel like a cheap massage parlour rather than a spa. You will leave feeling robbed and dirty.

Don't bother complaining either - the whining general manager will ignore you for a while and then leave you wishing you had some earplugs.

7  Thank Jak_Travels
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We took advantage of a Living Social deal just to try it out. The deal included a haircut and shave with facial. Both were great, the staff were very friendly, and the quality of the shave and cut were very good. Although my hair is not exactly difficult (clipper cut) I could tell a huge difference between The Refinery and my normal barber. They took the time to discuss what would and should be done, took extra care to make sure everything was just right, and my normal 10 minute cut took about 30 min. I hope to get back soon to try a number of the other services.

1  Thank EP05313
Reviewed 4 June 2010

I was recommended by a colleague to try Dan at the Refinery as he had been cutting his hair for over a year and was happy each time, so I went along. I couldn’t find it at first because there wasn't a sign on the front of the building, just a little plack (must be a reason for that I thought). When i eventually got there I was ten minutes late and Dan was waiting by the payment area and greeted me as though he had known me for years. I was then escorted to the barber shop which is up a level from the main area, which was impressive to say the least. I was offered a cappuccino or a glass of fresh juice (I politely accepted the cappuccino). We then discussed my hairstyle but I was keen to see what Dan could do so I gave him free reign over my hair. He explained what he was going to do taking into account what I generally wear in and out of work which he explained would make the difference to making my haircut a lot more personal not just any regular "messy" hairstyle. We talked about work, sport, holidays and just the general goings on of London. He took his time and paid a lot of attention to my hair (even though I was late) which I have never had done before in my local barbers. Then it was washed again and styled. It was exactly what he had explained and exactly what I wanted. He recommended me the wax of his choice and escorted me to the payment area. Everything right down to the goodbye with Dan was extremely professional and I could not recommend him highly enough!

1  Thank RdMason
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 November 2008

The Refinery, what a disappointment! I showed up 10 minutes before my scheduled treatment and had to wait 20 minutes in a tired waiting room, blasting BBC News 24 on a huge screen (why should I see images of terrorist attacks before a relaxing treatment?). No hot drinks were provided, and the only heating system was a portable electric heater - very five star. My 30 minutes massage lasted less than 20 minutes (it started with a 10 minutes delay due to 'room preparation', but it ended promptly at the scheduled time). The cold treatment room had no heating, so the therapist had to leave the door open to let some heat through the noisy heating system in the corridor. The lighting was bad, the floor dirty, and a cheap CD player was providing some bad background music through the noise. The Refinery is totally overvalued, there are dozens of better alternatives in central London. Book at your own risk.

4  Thank LuxurySpaLover