“Mixed but always some changing exhibitions (some free)”

National Portrait Gallery
Ranked #73 of 1,854 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This world-famous museum houses portraits of noted Britons from the Tudors to the present day.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I specifically went to see the Victorian Photographers exhibition (charge) which was smallish but well thought out and displayed. I didn't see the Tacita Dean exhibition (also charge) so I'll let someone else comment on that.
After that I had a quick look around the rest, the free permanent collection. Portraiture isn't my favourite so it's very much hit and miss for me but there are usually enough things to notice and interest me. The Tudor section is particularly strong and there are a couple of good (if small) suffragette displays this year.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,338)
All reviews
in 144 reviews
"vogue"
in 113 reviews

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We ventured in as an after thought following another day trip to London, and we were blown away. A must see for historians, especially Victorian or Tudor enthusiasts.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

Since I wrote my PH. D on A. Marvell, I have loved visiting his portrait here, surrounded with 17C opponents and affiliates, Ireton and Wentworth, Charles I (who bought the Raphael cartoons at the V&A) and Charles II, who caused my Puritan forbear to settle in Littleton, MA, in 1661. And for me, the walk up to Marvell’s grave in St Giles in the Fields, with the wonderful account by his nephew I think, and even to Marvell’s address in Maiden Lane, added pleasures.

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

My second time visiting, this time was to have a look round at the 2nd floor. We wanted to see the tudor portraits. I took my grandparents to see them as they have a kean interest in tudor history.

I have to say the collection of artwork is amazing. So many to look at, a very nicely laid out gallery and its huge. Our favorites were the miniture portraits in boxes covered up to protect them from the light.

We spent about an hour looking around most of the 2nd floor, didnt see everything. We would have needed a good few hours to see the whole gallery.

There is seating dotted about and portable seats to carry round with you.

The gift shop is full of lovely books!