“Cheap and grubby”

Grenville House Hotel
Ranked #1,018 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 30 September 2015

I wanted to stay here in Guilford Street, London, as I used to live next door in a flatshare in my youth and actually got married from there. So I thought it would be a thrill to be actually staying there. But - it was very disappointing. The room was tiny which is OK for one person, but the carpet hadn't been cleaned and was full of bits and rolls of dust, likewise the dressing table. The duvet hadn't been washed but luckily there were freshly laundered and ironed sheets to protect my skin otherwise I would have made a strong complaint and walked out! There was a distinct faecal whiff as I opened what I thought was a cupboard but which turned out to be the toilet and shower - very tiny! When sitting on the toilet, the sink jutted out over my left knee! There was no window in the toilet just an extractor fan which I kept on all night as a kind of protection against the smell. The bedside lamp did not work, so I had to keep the toilet light on all night just so I could look at my watch for the time.
I did sleep quite well as the bed, although firm, wasn't lumpy or too hard. The staff are very friendly. The breakfast is of the continental variety which was OK. Altogether, the hotel could do with a deep clean, especially the rooms. I've never seen such a grubby hotel room before. But it was cheap for central London at £74 per night.

Room Tip: I had a front room on the second floor and it was very quiet even though it overlooks Guilford Stree...
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 September 2015

The only good things are staff and location. Everything else is bad.

Within 10 minutes you close the windows, the rooms will be filled with a very awful smell. The toilet and bathroom both together have been fitted into a literal 2 feet by 2 feet space. The room shelves have dust on them. One of the cups in my rooms was even used and not cleaned.

The wifi is available free only for one hour during breakfast, which I did not get due to some server issue.

The breakfast had some stale (at least 3 days old) croissant, 2 slices of bread, some tea/coffee and juice. I was afraid to touch any of these as you never know how old are they. Just had 2 pieces of toast.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you have no other option - And not with family at any cost
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2015

room was great and clean...to the point and very basic. swetty drug dealer outside selling cocaine (not great), and undercover police littered the area. close to everything and would stay again. perfect if you are going to fabric.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 August 2015

On arrival we see the same sign as others, go to the hotel next door for a key, first impressions was I did not feel good, went to reception and got our key and went to our room, front door key and room key did not work easy. We decided to make the most of the situation. We soon went out feeling uncomfortable being in the small room. In the morning it took about 10 minutes of running the water to get hot water, we could not get a reception on the tv, we had coffee on the first morning, only powdered milk, the next morning we did not have a drink as the cups had not been washed from the day before, and there were no spoons in the room. The bed was soft which gave me a bad back. Had breakfast on day two which consisted of cereal, toast and make yourself hot drinks. Would I return, no I wouldn't, not for the £100 a night. We also handed in on the first night my husbands iPad, there was a message in the room not to leave any phone, iPads, computers in the room, but to take them to reception, on the second morning we went to collect the iPad which they took a while to understand what we were asking for, when they finally understood us, he started looking and found it in a filing cabinet. Not impressed at all.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2015 via mobile

Stayed there one night and to be honest it's not the best,,
It's dirty,, and very very basic you need to see the bathroom to believe,,
Didn't have breakfast as I could not bring myself to eat there
If you don't mind roughing it then fine but you expect a bit more for the price they chargé regardless of it being London
Would sooner sleep in the street than there would probably be cleaner

Stayed: June 2015, travelled as a couple