“Good location, overpriced, poor”

Grenville House Hotel
Ranked #1,017 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 November 2015 via mobile

Location was good but overpriced for what you get (£50 max!). No coffee, sugar or milk in the room (just tea bags). It was clean(ish) but the floor was so uneven it was difficult to walk on. Things felt like they were going to break if you touched them. Toilet so small I couldn't go to the loo without the door open (sink in the way!). Breakfast was very basic with cereal and coffee. It was ok (at best) for a bed for the night but if you are planning on staying a while beware. More like a hostel than a hotel.

Stayed: November 2015

Reviewed 7 November 2015

Stauying on a budget again - trying to keep the costs down does bring me into some "special" places - this was a doozy - cheap of course but when I approached the door there was a notice to say Reception was at another hotel 2 doors down - I checked in there and returned to get to my room - pity it was raining. This was the samallest room I think I've ever had - and I could only jst fit into the ensuite shower pod.
Further slight issue was that breakfast was served in the hoel 2 doors down- and when I'd checked out and mae it to the breakfast rood I found that breakfast was instant coffeee and while toast with a small yougurt - I ate the yogurt and left

Room Tip: Not really worth even this low price.
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2015

I wanted to stay here in Guilford Street, London, as I used to live next door in a flatshare in my youth and actually got married from there. So I thought it would be a thrill to be actually staying there. But - it was very disappointing. The room was tiny which is OK for one person, but the carpet hadn't been cleaned and was full of bits and rolls of dust, likewise the dressing table. The duvet hadn't been washed but luckily there were freshly laundered and ironed sheets to protect my skin otherwise I would have made a strong complaint and walked out! There was a distinct faecal whiff as I opened what I thought was a cupboard but which turned out to be the toilet and shower - very tiny! When sitting on the toilet, the sink jutted out over my left knee! There was no window in the toilet just an extractor fan which I kept on all night as a kind of protection against the smell. The bedside lamp did not work, so I had to keep the toilet light on all night just so I could look at my watch for the time.
I did sleep quite well as the bed, although firm, wasn't lumpy or too hard. The staff are very friendly. The breakfast is of the continental variety which was OK. Altogether, the hotel could do with a deep clean, especially the rooms. I've never seen such a grubby hotel room before. But it was cheap for central London at £74 per night.

Room Tip: I had a front room on the second floor and it was very quiet even though it overlooks Guilford Stree...
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 September 2015

The only good things are staff and location. Everything else is bad.

Within 10 minutes you close the windows, the rooms will be filled with a very awful smell. The toilet and bathroom both together have been fitted into a literal 2 feet by 2 feet space. The room shelves have dust on them. One of the cups in my rooms was even used and not cleaned.

The wifi is available free only for one hour during breakfast, which I did not get due to some server issue.

The breakfast had some stale (at least 3 days old) croissant, 2 slices of bread, some tea/coffee and juice. I was afraid to touch any of these as you never know how old are they. Just had 2 pieces of toast.

Room Tip: Don't stay here unless you have no other option - And not with family at any cost
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2015

room was great and clean...to the point and very basic. swetty drug dealer outside selling cocaine (not great), and undercover police littered the area. close to everything and would stay again. perfect if you are going to fabric.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends