“Great service and views - small rooms” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Tower

The Tower
Ranked #262 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Buxton, United Kingdom
“Great service and views - small rooms”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

We stayed here as a group of friends - we were on a deal so found the hotel excellent value for the price we paid. We enjoyed a wander around St Katherine's dock and used the hotel as a base for much sightseeing. Service was very good, helpful staff and the food we enjoyed in the Brasserie was good quality and well presented - the loos there were fab!
The only criticism, the rooms are quite small and the beds moved as you tried to get in, but other than that, very comfortable.
Just seen another review stating the alarm went off in the night - this happened when we were there too unfortunately.
I'd definitely stay again but only if I could get another similar deal.

Room Tip: Don't be afraid to ask for a room with a view - my friend did as the trip was a gift for her sis...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank BobbysGirl11
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Tower, responded to this review, 22 March 2012
Dear Reviewer,
Thanks for taking the time to post,
I’m pleased to read you used the hotel as a base for sightseeing and enjoyed the local area.
It’s great to read that you enjoyed your meal in the Brasserie and found the dishes well presented and of good quality. We run promotions throughout the year so do check our website for similar deals.
I hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.
Ian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,802)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

Between wonderful Tower Bridge and St Katharines Dock, the Guoman is an imposing blight on the London skyline. A 2006 BBC survey voted it the second ugliest building in London.

All communal areas in the hotel are sprayed liberally with a wretch-inducing perfume "aroma" that smells like cheap air freshener. Whilst the staff are friendly and efficient, the rooms are over-priced and shabby.

I'll be happy to see this place demolished and replaced with something that suits the surroundings.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank chrisbeach
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I had the misfortune to turn up at the Hotel a the start of February 2012 when the Hotel had suffered a power cut and were having to book everyone in manually. The staff were lovely and apologetic and were handing out wine and soft drinks to queuing guests for free. I was on a cheap deal but had been told Id have an upper room with a good view. I had a pretty good view but on the first floor so I got noise from the taxi rank. After the snow arrived, the fire alarm was set off at 11pm and myself and other people on my floor were unsure what we should do as the stairs down were not easy to find. As it happened the alarm stopped ringing shortly but no staff contacted to put peoples minds at rest. On leaving, I found out that some charming guest had been smoking where they shouldnt have been doing and set it off.
I also suffered from a London cabbie surprisingly, talking loudly on his mobile phone early on the Saturday morning, to the extent I could hear what he was saying. On complaining to reception, he was obviously advised, because when he finally left he sounded his horn repeatedly!!! And he gets business from the Hotel??!!
The ground floor breakfast restaurant has a lovely view of the bridge and serves a good buffet breakfast. Staff are almost too helpful! My room was large, clean, with tea making facilities, nice bathroom, very comfortable but becoming tired in places. But still very nice and such a fantastic location for visiting London.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Gail T
IanFletcher, General Manager at The Tower, responded to this review, 13 March 2012
Thanks for your post,
I’m glad that despite the power cut we were experiencing upon your arrival the team were able to manage a difficult situation positively. It's great to read you enjoyed your breakfast in our Brasserie with views over looking the Thames and Tower Bridge.
I hope to be able to welcome you back again soon.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

I took advantage of a winter promotion and stayed for two nights, and would have loved to stay longer! Upon check-in I was given a free upgrade, and the staff were very friendly and informative. I was in room 545 which had a breath-taking view of the bridge, and was especially enchanting at night.

The room was quite compact but as it was only me I didn't mind. The bathroom was clean and tidy (with a button for underfloor heating), and the bed was very comfortable once I'd removed the many pillows and cushions! The window ran the length of the room and the view was just incredible. The room had the usual facilities of a TV, hairdryer and tea/ coffee-making equipment, and it also had an iron and ironing board.

It was quite busy upon check-out time but there was a member of staff who happily walked down the queues to collect room keycards.

The hotel is about an 8 minute walk from Tower Hill tube station and between there and the hotel there is a row of bars and restaurants, which are quite lively, and a Starbucks.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank blaqkgloss
Thanks for your post,
I’m delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and took advantage of our recent winter promotion. It’s great to read that you found the team to be friendly and informative and that queues on check out were positively managed.
I hope we’ll have the chance to welcome you back again soon.
Wexford, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Firstly great location for the tube, Tower Bridge and Starbucks coffee. Concierge were more than helpful, really could have not done enough for us. We checked in early and had advised the hotel of this in advance which was acknowledged. We were put in room 113 - just do not accept that room under any circumstances. It is dated and offputting. Really it lets the hotel down. I called reception and was told that I had booked a 'standard' room which I had but this was below average. We were moved to the 3rd floor and this was much better. Overall the hotel is clean and efficiently run, internet access is a rip off.

Room Tip: Do not accept room 113!!!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your post,
It’s great to read how helpful concierge were; we receive consistently positive feedback about the team so I really enjoyed sharing your comments with them.
We are in the process of updating our bedroom product and the standard rooms are part of this ongoing programme however I am glad that the reception team were able to arrange an alternative room.