DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Docklands Riverside
Ranked #366 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 May 2016

Please be advised that, in addition to what the hotel adverts say, there are rooms in that hotel that may fall short of your expectations of a 4-star Hilton hotel. You should be aware of that when booking a package holiday. Apart form what's advertised, the hotel has quite a few rooms at the back that resemble hostel accommodation and are not mentioned on the hotel's website.

I booked a Thompson city break at Double Tree by Hilton at the Docklands in London for the May holiday weekend. When choosing the hotel the Thompson agent and I looked at Double Tree by Hilton website and we were really impressed with the location and the tastefully decorated rooms. The price was reasonable and I attributed that to the fact that the hotel is located in a business rather than touristy area and would not be that busy over a long May weekend.

On arrival, I was offered a room that shocked me. It was small, dark, located at the back of the hotel. It had a tiny milky-glass window that did not open. Not only did it not have a river view, it had no view at all. And hardly any light would get into the room. It was plain depressing. The access to that room was through a set of very narrow passages and cardboard-like corridors. It all looked like a hostel, or what one would associate with the Hilton brand. It should be noted here that there seems to be a whole set of rooms like that at the back of the hotel.

What is really worrying, is the fact that neither Thompson brochure nor the hotel's website mentions those sub-category 'hostel-by-Hilton' rooms. Neither is that reflected in price. The package is reasonable but not cheap! And when I was booking a room I was showed pictures of rooms with beautiful river views etc. I would have never booked that room had I know what it was like.

On the positive note: I went straight back to the reception and expressed my utter disappointment. I must have looked shocked as the staff member was very sympathetic and offered a room upgrade, complementary of the hotel. The new room was much better. It was of decent size, bright, had some river views and it did reflect the price I paid for it. I did enjoyed the rest of my stay a lot.

Room Tip: Be aware of hostel-like small, dark rooms at the back of the hotel that you might be offered if book...
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
Amie G, PA to General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel London - Docklands Riverside, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2016

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review following your most recent stay with us. Your feedback has been share with the respective heads of department in order for us to constantly improve our guests overall experience. We are deeply sorry to hear that the room you had been allocated had not been to your liking. Please do contact me at the hotel and I would be happy to investigate further in to your stay.

Reviewed 16 May 2016

The hotel is located on the south side of the river, meaning that public transport is a bit of a challenge. The easiest is to take the ferry to cross the river, then take another ferry to embankment and change into the Underground.

The hotel itself is consisting of two buildings. We had booked a family room, which consisted of two reasonably (for London) large bedrooms and a smaller bathroom. It had a nice balcony, overlooking the Thames as well as the former dock. The airconditioning is from another era, and very very noisy and not working very well.

Checking in is ok, but at times it can be busy.

Parking is in the underground garage, and is very easy. However for (un)loading luggage you need to unload in front of the building, as the basement does not have a lift.

There is a reasonably served fitness centre.

Internet is free if you are HH member, and is not super fast.

The Executive Lounge is a bit meagre. Not a lot of choices of anything, and apparantly in the weekend they do not serve breakfast there.

Breakfast is served in the Colombia restaurant, and at times can be (very) busy. When busy, also service is collapsing.There is a buffet with all you can need.

Only disadvantage is the location, as there are no nearby restaurants (you have to cross the river) and it takes half an hour to reach central London.

Room Tip: Room 403 has nice balcony and view
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank worldtravellerTom

Thank you for taking the time to complete your review following your most recent stay with us. Feedback such as yours is always welcome and most helpful. Your feedback has been share with the respective heads of department in order for us to constantly improve our guests overall experience. We are pleased to hear that your guest bedroom was to your liking and will of course share you wonderful feedback with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back for another enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 16 May 2016 via mobile

I was booked here for a 2 night stay which was meant to be just myself and my wife but a last minute change to our trip led to us bringing our 4 year old daughter with us

This was for my 30th birthday and 5th year anniversary celebration, double celebration and having worked, lived and travelled globally for over 10+ years now this was one of the most memorable and enjoyable stays I have ever experienced and this was all down to one individual who arranged many of my requests over the two night stay, Helen Pranata the Guest Service Manager who I pestered day and night via emails and calls simply to ensure I had the best suite with excellent views as well as all the extras as you can see in the picture attached

Helen, we can't thank you enough. You made my birthday and our anniversary a very special and memorable one and your level of service was just way above and beyond. You gave us alot more than we could of asked and imagined and you are an absolute credit to Doubletree by Hilton and they must never let you go from this hotel and ensure you have a higher managerial role than you already have because you can do anything and everything to make a stay special. If it wasn't for you, we would never consider coming back to this property but I can assure you, we will be back and very soon to experience this hotel and your outstanding customer service skills. You are simply the best Helen

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank TabzzzKhan

Good afternoon & Greetings from all at DoubleTree By Hilton London Dockands.

We would like to thank you for taking the time to leave such a wonderful review about your most recent time spent with us. We are delighted to hear that Helen was able to create such an amazing and memorable experience for you. I will of course be sharing your feedback with our team as I know the whole team will delighted. We trueley look forward to welcoming you back for another fantasic stay.

Kind rEgards

Reviewed 15 May 2016 via mobile

Stayed with hubbie and 3 kids . Lovely rooms with plenty of room for 5 . Lovely views of the Thames and breakfast was fab . Used the river bus to cross over to Canary Wharf which was fun . Parking is handy too. Would defiantly recommend and hope to return again .

Stayed: May 2016

Thank you for choosing DoubleTree By Hilton London Docklands for you most recent stay in London. We are very pleased to hear that commuting around London was made easy and stress free while staying at our hotel. All with the added bonus of our complimentary ferry service . We look forward to welcoming you back once again in the future.

Reviewed 15 May 2016 via mobile

My daughter and I stayed there for 7 days, along time ago.Security was really good and they put us on the 3rd floor. They have a bus that takes you to the tube, which was very convenient The hotel was very peaceful except for the maids in the morning.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful comments about your most recent say with us. We are delighted to read that you had a five star stay, and truly look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable visit.