“A special experience”

Ranked #2,037 of 24,831 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$57 - US$83
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Description: sketch Gallery, a vibrant gastro-brasserie, is sketch's artist-conceived restaurant. Celebrated British artist, David Shrigley, has transformed the Gallery at sketch as part of a long-term programme of artist-conceived restaurants. 239 New works line the restaurant's walls, forming the largest collection of original drawings Shrigley has ever exhibited. The Gallery is open seven days a week for afternoon tea and dinner.
Reviewed 9 April 2018

The place is special - the decorations, the atmosphere, the staff, the serving. The food was good, but not all of it was extraordinary. My teenage was excited from everything, the food the staff the place and of course the toilets...
Still the price was too much...

Write a ReviewReviews (2,298)

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

For somewhere with such potential it’s a shame the service and the food are so poor! The look is brilliant. Loved the toilets! We came with high expectations but from beginning to end it was very very poor indeed. The young man who was the host was rude to start with ... didn’t have the book yet to check reservations ‘come back at 6.30’ so We had a drink in the bar or tried to. Literally had to find someone to serve us. One waiter swore when more people tried to come in the bar! When we finally got to the host table again he forgot that he was taking us to our table. Once seated in the restaurant we were attended to quickly drink orders taken. Then we had the long wait... no one came to take our food order. Literally had to call out to get our waiters attention! Then they do a bizarre thing and take cutlery away and give you other cutlery. The food was poor, none of us finished either starters or main courses, when original cutlery is returned. Also food is left waiting on trays by table for yet another member of staff to come and put it on the table. What’s that about? It is getting cold! There are so many staff all with roles you can see that, but all were so mediocre. There was no buzz or feel of organisation. Then the bill came ... the wrong bill!! Took an age to sort. The cost is extortionate for food we couldn’t eat. We don’t mind paying for great food and service but in this case Sketch really is Emperors new clothes. Such a shame ! Our daughters said we should have complained but we just thought let’s get out, we don’t like to make a fuss! And ironically we had had a good time as we couldn’t believe it was so bad that it was funny! Also nearly forgot the cloakroom attendant could do with some training. Coats just dumped on counter in a pile ‘here you go’ ... coat hanger still in one! Girls on the floor having a good chinwag... no thanks for coming enjoy the rest of your evening. The bouncer was pleasant enough though. Such a shame as it has so much potential.

sketchmayfair, Director of Operations at Sketch Gallery, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Dear yoghurttops,

Thank you very much for taking the time to offer your feedback through TripAdvisor.

I am very disappointed to read that you felt let down by the food and service on your recent visit to sketch; please rest assured that we take all feedback extremely seriously. If you could please send an email to me with further details of your reservation to info@sketch.london; I will investigate each of your points in detail.

Yours sincerely,
sketch Director of Operations

Reviewed 7 April 2018

I was so excited to visit Sketch on my trip to London this past week. I booked tea for two in the Gallery room. Don't get me wrong this place is gorgeous but the service was extremely disappointing.

I ordered the Rose Champagne Afternoon Tea which costs 75 Pounds/ $107 USD. Everything was great at first. I finished my first pot of tea and requested another pot of tea four or five different times, from three different servers and never got it! We only have a two hour time limit at the table and we went for a 4:30pm tea. Two hours flew by and I have only had one pot of tea (annoying when I'm paying $107 USD). The staff started transitioning for dinner and a server came up to our table and was trying to hurry us along. I told him I did not get my pot of tea and we did not get the final course. He brought over a pot of tea and the final course but who wants to be rushed for afternoon tea......

I called a host over and he told me all he could do was waive the service fee... So basically I paid $107 USD for one pot of tea. So disappointing!!!

Dear TJ J,

I am very disappointed to read that you felt let down by the service on your recent visit to sketch; please rest assured that we take all feedback extremely seriously. If you could please send an email to me with further details of your reservation to info@sketch.london; I will investigate each of your points in detail.

Yours sincerely,
sketch Director of Operations

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Selected Easter Afternoon Tea at this place as a present for girlfriend's birthday. She was very happy, so it is automatic 5 star :).

Interior (in the room we've been to) is pink and plush, with a lot of paintings on the walls and live music on the background. Seating is comfortable and, even though it was busy, we had enough private space.

Most of service is at high level, however we had some problems with ordering tea refills. Tea pots are small - for 2 cups only, therefore we needed to call for a waiter to get some refills. They tend to make the tea of optimal temperature, therefore we had to wait around 10-15 minutes for tea. Also the lady, serving the tea, was a bit clumsy, so she spilled the tea on the chair and legs of my girlfriend, after which the tea lady just ran away (probably did not see what she did). Luckily this did not make a lot of damage, so we only asked for extra napkins.

Despite small portions of food, we were full by the end, and we were offered to take last course with us. Food is of very high quality.

With the price of 100 pounds per person it is not a regular afternoon tea place to go, however it is unique experience and a great gift.

1  Thank Тагир Ф
Reviewed 5 April 2018

My girlfriend and I booked a table to enjoy a romantic evening. We loved the setting and the atmosphere. The food and drinks were exquisite only to be served by Alberto, our incredible waiter for the evening. He made us feel at home and comfortable. Great attention to detail and an unparalleled Spanish sense of humour. We will definitely be returning to enjoy more of the delicious food and impeccable service.