“Restoring Faith in the Great British Independent Hotel”
Review of Harlingford Hotel

and 1 more site!
Harlingford Hotel
Ranked #554 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 September 2017

A charming little hotel less than 10 minutes walk from Kings Cross station, yet set in a quiet location next to a large park. Exceptionally well managed, my room (No. 31) was small but immaculately clean with a comfortable bed and a nice little bathroom. Breakfast was simple but excellent, I had smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. I was shown to my table and offered freshly made filter coffee, which arrived within minutes despite the dining room being full. The staff were superbly efficient and very friendly, making for a great atmosphere. I will stay here next time I am in London - it represents excellent value for money (insofar as this is at all possible in crazily-priced London). Encouraging to see that properly run independent hotels can still thrive in what has become a soulless chain-dominated arena. More of this please.

Room Tip: Garden view.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 19 September 2017

This is not a hotel for people with mobility problems. We were put on the 3rd floor and there is no lift with increasingly narrow and winding stairs. When I asked if somebody could help with our bags (we are an older couple ) I was simply told 'No'. When we asked if there might be an alternative on a lower floor we were told 'No. You should have specified with your booking.' (Silly us for not knowing.) When trying to walk down stairs the following morning the winding stairs were covered with housekeeping equipment and dirty linen leaving only the narrowest part of the stairs for customers - just dangerous! The shower was 2ft square with a shower curtain which clung to the body and so little water pressure that it became obvious there was no point in trying to use it - so glad I didn't try to wash my long hair.

The reception staff were extremely curt and almost unwelcoming, as though we were disturbing their precious time so every answer was just short of a sigh with their response. I suppose unhelpful would be a good way to describe them.

The bed was comfortable and the bed linen was clean. The decor in the bedroom was cheap and slightly shabby. The bathroom was clean but a pity about the useless shower. The hotel overall was clean. I did not have breakfast there so I can't say how that was but the breakfast room looked clean. It is in a convenient location for the British Museum and it is not too far a walk to a tube, Kings Cross Station or Euston Station. If you like cats, as I do, you won't mind the hotel cat Zizi sitting on a sofa in the sitting room with you but if you have an allergy to cats maybe this is not the hotel for you. I won't be returning to this hotel as I did not feel that it was value for money at approximately £128 per night, and the stairs and the staff didn't help.

Room Tip: Specify what floor you want as the 3rd floor stairs are very small, narrow and windy and there is no...
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

The Good

Great location, with quick access to train and tube stations and the West End.

The Bad

Staff on the whole are reasonable, if not a tad curt at times.

The Ugly

Bed mattress is on wood chip blocks and makes the most horrendous noise when you turn or move in bed, it prevents you sleeping. We told reception we wanted another room but they said all rooms were like this.

Breakfast waiter miserable as sin, giving dirty looks to everyone. Not a way to start your day.

Hotel cat sits in the entrance cleaning itself. Not good, just before breakfast!

Huge kitchen units stored in the hotel lounge! Floorboards creek everywhere. Rooms are clean but very tired and need a facelift. No safe or air conditioning in the rooms.

Tried to get us to check out at 10.30am when checkout is 11am and they kept calling the room phone.

There's a lot of choice in this area, we won't be back here ever again.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Harlingford, Manager at Harlingford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2017

This guy really writes a LOT of rubbish but, thank god, he is not coming back. Reading his OCD whine about othe places I guess we must thank him for the two stars! Of course he is entitled to his opinion, bizarrely wrong though it is and for his education I have to point out that nearly all beds are made of wood. Yes, all those box beds are made of wood and covered in fabric. All ours are made of good clean wood to our specs for a very particular reason by a skilled carpenter, oh and all have new mattresses this year.
As to complaining about our beautiful and enigmatic cat, Zizi, she is always kept in the office until after breakfast is finished. We also have our dog, Chiyonofuji, and both are on our website, so WHY did he come to our hotel if he is one of those animal haters?
We are replacing an overhead oven extractor but have to wait for the builders; as you may know builders are like Einstein, Time is a relative they don't fully understand.
It is waiting, it is behind the sofa and not in the way of guests relaxing in the lounge. Don't know WHY this should bother him.
He booked a standard triple room but we gave him a free upgrade to a superior triple BEFORE they arrived, so much for good intensions and what did we get; greivance or gratitude?
From these TOO MANY gripes I can seriously picture him being the type of person no one wants to sit next to on the bus.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

I recently stayed in this hotel prior to sitting an exam in London. The hotel is very quaint and presentable! The staff on reception were friendly and welcoming. I was on the 3rd floor. Just a warning- this hotel does not have lifts. I understand that's due to building restrictions, but if you have poor mobility, make sure you request a room downstairs. The room was clean and cosy. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was very modern. Only downside was the shower lacked power, but I can cope with that. I did not stay for breakfast because I needed to be out early. All in all, a very good hotel and I'd consider here next time I'm in London

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 September 2017

We have just returned from a lovely overnight stay here. We booked 3 rooms, all of which were spotlessly clean. The beds were very comfortable and the shower lovely and hot. We required an early breakfast and arrived for 7.30. The waiting staff were polite and breakfast was cooked to a high quality. The reception staff were really helpful and allowed us to store our overnight cases at the hotel for the day. This was invaluable. The hotel was ideally situated for all of us to walk to the graduation ceremony. We would definitely use this hotel again and recommend it for anyone attending UCL events. It was excellent value for money consideringredients it's location.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family