“Mostly good but ...”

Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel
Ranked #134 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Stayed a week in late August of 2011. Our first trip to London. Great location as stated. The weather was still warm - dare I say hot since I got sunburnt on the hop on-hop off bus - and even with the fan on and the window open the room - a lovely room to - felt stuffy. However that may have just been us - we Australians feel naked without our air con.

Breakfast was great value and good quality - but needed to be timed right - very early or very late - during the peak season. Check in was novel with an ATM style kiosk that issued your keycard.

Our keycard dropped its code several times which meant being locked out in the hallway, then a long walk back to reception and a wait in the inevitable queue and then a further wait while it was recoded - a small but annoying and unnecessary problem - I took to carrying the card around in its own container away from all things magnetic - and managed to smile and say "thank you" every time the staff politely recommended I take more care with the card to stop it happening again.

Internet access was a seperate charge and this is a pet hate of mine in this day and age - I mean really would a free "hot spot" in the foyer kill them? There is a Starbucks across the road where you can get a coffee and faster access for less than the minimum charge the hotel will gouge you.

I have just re-read what I have written here and I hate the way I sound - if I read this review I'd
be thinking "Jeez, you just can't please some people" - it is mostly good, I would still recommend County Hall for London first timers like we were - but I'll try somewhere else next time.

Enjoy.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nangfah
Countyhall, General Manager at Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2011

Thank you very much for your review. I hope you had a great time here in London seeing that it was your first visit. The weather has been warm indeed and I am glad that you still managed to have a good night sleep even when the room felt stuffy. I am sorry that you had to re-cut your keys several times. When the room keys are placed next to Oyster or Credit Cards it can drop its code. So it was a good idea to keep it separate in the card key holder. Regarding the internet access, we don’t provide the service ourselves. That is why you need to buy internet access cards or use your debit or credit card online. I understand you point of view of having this complimentary especially in these times. It is an issue that we are addressing with our Head Office. We hope to have this service free of charge in the near future, but for the time being you need to purchase the internet access cards. Thank you for recommending us and even when I understand that you will try another hotel next time, we really hope you choose us again.

There are newer reviews for Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel

Reviewed 29 October 2011

The hotel is well placed next to London Eye. Staff were very welcoming and helpful and the hotel was clean and comfortable. As with any Premier Inn the breakfast was great and really good value.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Tricia C

Thank you very much for recommending us. I am pleased that you had a great time with us and that you enjoyed our all-you-can-eat breakfast the next morning. Thank you again for your compliments and we hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 29 October 2011

We chose to stay at County hall after reading the fabulous reviews on trip advisor. Some of the reviews advised to telephone to request a view of the london eye so , as we were coming down to celebrate my daughters 13th birthday, i telephoned to request a room with a view, i was advised that this would be no problem at all, very dissappointed when we got our room with no view, unless you hang out of the window!!
The staff at check in were excellent, very helpful and made check in very easy, the room was adequate, although we were in the centre of London so for the price we paid it did the job, i would agree that it was difficult to regulate any temperature in the room.
The hotel could not have been better located, we were within very easy walking distance of all major attractions and all other attractions were just a small tube ride away
The not so excellent was the meals in the evening in the dining room, we were so dissappointed.Now before people think , oh here we go a moaner, i have written many reviews on trip advisor and NEVER said anything but positive comments about destinations..The first nights meal was adequate despite the fact that our party of 4 got our main courses about 5 minutes apart from each other, ie one meal came then 5 minutes later another, then another!The second night we had a reasonable meal, so decided we would go back the third night.....BIG MISTAKE...we went to get a table at 8 pm and were told they were too busy to come back in 20 minutes, 45 minutes later i asked if there was a table avaliable yet and we were shown to a table, at this point we were one of approx 14 tables.We ordered and at 10pm i had to ask to see the manager as we had still not had anything to eat,while i was complaining to the supervisor, an elderly american lady applauded when her meal came , she had waited so long for it and another party of guests went to walk out as they had waited so long, they eventually got their meal to take to their rooms.
When i complained i was told it wasnt their fault they were short staffed, i did point out that it wasnt my fault either!I had two children who were about falling asleep and at 10.10pm the meal came, unfortuanately not what we had ordered, we ate it anyway we were that hungry.
The breakfasts were very good so i just cannot understand why there was such a difference between the 2 services.
I would hesitate before coming back to county hall,,,left dissappointed :o(

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank crumble10
Countyhall, General Manager at Premier Inn London County Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2011

Thank you very much for your comments. I am very sorry that you didn’t get the room that you were expecting. We always try to accommodate our guests’ requests, but we can’t achieve this all the time. Therefore we inform our guests that we can write a note in their booking, but we can’t guarantee that they will be allocated a room with a view. Rooms with a view are subject to availability, but I understand that this was a special occasion and if we couldn’t give you the room that you requested, we could have done something special for your daughter’s 13th birthday. I regret the fact that you had a very poor dinner service in our restaurant. Being understaffed is no excuse to provide you with a poor service. We could have managed and organized ourselves better. There will be always times where we might be understaffed but you as a guest should not feel the difference and this is something I need to address to the restaurant manager. I understand why you would write that you are hesitant to come back and that you feel disappointed. However I would like it very much if you could give us a chance to make it right. Could you please contact us at 08715278648 or email our F&B manager via f&bmgrlondoncountyhall.pti@whitbread.com. We would like to know what we could do for you so we can gain back your trust in our brand. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to your contact.

Reviewed 28 October 2011

Stayed for 3 days at half term. Excellent location near to waterloo, London eye big Ben etc. Usually stay at park plaza but this was too expensive this time round and we were more than pleased with premier inn. Staff are so friendly and helpful nothing too much trouble. Room was spotlessly clean and plenty big enough for three of us. Only downside was breakfast time as it was half term had to queue for food but it was excellent value and lovely food when we eventually sat down to eat

• Stayed: October 2011

Thank you very much for your feedback and complimenting the staff for their attentiveness. I am happy that you pointed out that we have reasonable rates compared to our competitors in the area. I am sorry for the delay you experience during breakfast. We get indeed very busy during half term, but try to serve everybody as quickly as possible. Now that you have stayed with us and had a great experience, we hope you decide to book with us again for your next visit to London.

Reviewed 28 October 2011

Superb location - London Eye on the back, 5 minutes walk to Waterloo station and Big Ben. But still the hotel surroundings are quiet. Superb for families. It would be nice thought if they got some more experienced staff.
The rooms were comfortable and clean. It felt a bit pricey to us, but we did not try other hotels in London.

Room Tip: Try getting a room not facing the inside of the hotel, which is a bit noisy in the morning. Some roo...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for your review and tips. It is great to hear that you had a comfortable stay and that you enjoyed our location. Because of our prime location and the high demand our rates can feel a bit pricy, but compared to our competitors in the area, we still offer the best rates. Regarding the noise in the morning, we try to keep this to a minimum and ask suppliers to make their deliveries later throughout the day, but this is not feasible at all times. Thank you for the review and we hope to see you back soon.