“Stairs!!”
Review of Rhodes Hotel

Rhodes Hotel
Ranked #358 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 July 2017

Hotel is in a great location, about 2 blocks from Paddington Station. However be prepared to deal with stairs. We stayed in the Annex which is around the corner and down a fairly long block from the main hotel. Our room was on the 4th floor (5th floor to Americans) with a narrow staircase and no lift. Breakfast is only served in the main hotel and is downstairs. Good breakfast. Not a good choice if you use a cane and impossible for wheelchair users. The manger did carry our suitcases to our room. Small room but quiet.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask about accessibility. I think there are stairs involved with all rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,479)

Reviewed 6 July 2017

Good location. Near Paddington Station. Due the amount of luggage bags I have had, they changed my room from third floor to a ground floor room. Grateful for that. Airport transfer was also arranged by Rhodes and it was all smooth for both arrival and departure. For the price I had paid and location, I won't have much to complain. Compliments must be given to the housekeepers who had quite some skills.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 3 July 2017 via mobile

My mum and I stayed here for a weekend and we loved it!

We arrived way before the check-in time to drop off our luggage but our room was ready. The member of staff on reception was very welcoming, helpful and friendly, and he walked us to our room which was in their other building.

The hotel is in such a great location with Paddington Station, Hyde Park and plenty of shops just around the corner. Our room was very clean, with air con and everything you needed. The housekeeper was also very friendly and cleaned our room throughout our stay.

The continental breakfast was lovely too, with a variety of food to choose from. The staff in the dining area were great too, always ensuring we were happy with everything.

We really enjoyed our stay and I can't believe this hotel is only 3 stars, it should be more! We will definitely be returning and I really recommend this to others visiting London.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 July 2017

Well located hotel and nice and quiet at night. We had a room in the main hotel which was fine. Breakfast room was small and very busy. Not very easy to collect food when busy. We were disappointed re our request to have a room in the main hotel. I phoned the hotel to ask if I was in main hotel and abrupt man told me to check my confirmation. I couldn't see it and he told me to check with booking.com. I made a special request to booking.com online and they confirmed request had been passed to hotel. On booking.com's confirmation it suggested contacting the hotel with any queries but i was made to feel that I shouldn't have contacted the hotel direct. When we arrived we were allocated a room in the annexe although we could see the request on the computer screen. Receptionist did then allocate us a room in the main hotel which I wanted because I thought I would feel safer where the 24 hour reception is based. I only requested the room 2 days before arrival even though I booked Dec 16 so I would have understood if it wasn't possible. I would however expect to be able to call the hotel direct and be treated with politeness.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2017

My room, on the top floor of the main building (Rhodes has an annex) had a single bed, barely room for a rather narrow desk,a small fridge under the desk, a window whose view is the green foliage of a London plane tree, a very useful closet, and a tiny but extraordinarily well-built modern bathroom.

The room had been designed and built, rather recently, by highly competent professionals, in thoroughly modern taste, Lighting (nearly all LED) was efficient and comfortable. Light switches and power outlets were in the right places and they were among the most elegant I've seen (should have snapped a photo). The bathroom, while tiny, has room to move around gracefully, real towel hooks, and some of the best tile work I've seen. The glass-door shower has an excellent, easy to figure out thermostatic water control system with one knob for volume and the other for temperature. The temperature knob was not working quite right, something I alerted the front desk about. There were no other problems with the room.

Apart from a few patches of threadbare carpet on the stairs (no elevator; staff will take luggage to and from your room), the hotel is in fine condition. The downstairs breakfast room is adequately large and eggs were available at minimal extra cost over the continental breakfast. The lobby, which doubles as the hotel office, is a bit cluttered. Sussex Gardens separates the small volume of traffic on the street from the buildings and has rows of huge, mature plane trees. It's quiet at night.

There's plenty of small groceries and places to eat around Paddington Station. Paddington is of course a 15 minute train trip to Heathrow Airport. Access to central London is mostly via the Bakerloo Line; transfer to the Jubilee Line does save time (it's faster and has fewer stops).

Room Tip: The front side in the main building has leafy views.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo