“Disappointing lack of quality food and lack of information on drinks and other useful information.”
Review of Zengi Restaurant.

Zengi Restaurant.
Ranked #2,135 of 24,404 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$5 - US$18
Cuisines: Turkish
Dining options: After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Whitechapel
Description: A cosy hideaway in Shoreditch, fusing eclectic flavours from across the Middle East with unique dishes brought to you from our Arabian kitchen. What better way to continue your journey with us but by enjoying shisha in our outside heated area and indoor E-shisha basement.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I was not told that you could bring your own bottles of alcohols with a £5 fee for each bottle to the venue. This meant I paid double to host drinks for my party guests from their Maine menu!!
There were no free complimentary bread or snacks on the table while we were waiting to order starters or main meal. This was all added onto the final bill
The food was OK but not very generous portions with us having to pay for basic Mediterranean salad.
Go to a Turkish restaurant to know generosity on free bread and salads and up front information on drinks and you will save at least £130 on a party of 15 people.
All in all this ruined my birthday night at the end when presented with the final bill total.

Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

The food at zengi is just incredible! You can taste the quality of the meat and the freshness of the ingredients. Staff are attentive and it's all great value for money. A party of twelve ate and we didnt have to wait ages to be served, nor did we feel we were inconveniencing anyone. This place is a gem and I'll be sure to go back again very soon for the lamb kofta and the yalla yalla chicken starter.

Reviewed 12 March 2018

Poor food, even poorer welcome, miserable staff, Very unadventurous menu. Would recommend people to keep away

Reviewed 26 January 2018

I have reviewed and used trip advisor on many occasions and I think in order for it to work reviewers should try to review places, after looking at the whole picture, so here goes. Me and my partner stopped off at Zengi for just a light meal. We had just arrived in London and just wanted something small to eat. We ordered a sharing platter which was delivered with "Luke warm" service, but hey ho! Food was ok, it was just a platter, food looked fresh and was enough for what we wanted. We also had a bottle of fizz...and the bill came to around £50 to which my partner paid before nipping to the bathroom. Whist I awaited his return... A rat ran out in front of my table, before sniffing the air and running back under some empty chairs and tables. Yes a rat!
What concerned me more, was when I alerted the chef, instead of seeming alarmed, he casually walk around the bar and stared into the black hole I was pointing to. Didn't move the table, or the chairs or even go anywhere near the area to investigate... To which I wondered.... Did he know? And that's why he didn't look? Say sorry? Even react! What else is he not surprised about!!!
On complaining to the waitress, she said there was nothing she could do because we had paid on card!!?.........what? She suggested I saw her manager the next day.
We left London early so we were unable to see the manager...
Rats in a city, ok I can kind of see that maybe it came from outside....no investigation or appology, that's just worrying to me.
Spoilt our evening and makes you feel lucky for the good restaurants you know, who most certainly would have refunded us... And then maybe called environmental health!

Ali N, Owner at Zengi Restaurant., responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2018

Dear Jenna K

Thank you for your feedback. We're upset to hear about your experience and send our sincerest apologies that it wasn't handled in the manner you expected. Unfortunately, due to recent building works next door, there have been a few mice in the area which is entirely out of our control and something that is prevalent in London. We have notified Environmental Health directly to alert them to this. I can also assure you that this has never been reported before in our restaurant. We pride ourselves on the hygiene and cleanliness of our premises and are doing whatever we can to deter these unwelcome guests!

We do hope that you will visit us again soon so that we can rectify this. Please do contact zengimer@gmail.com directly so that we can ensure you are well taken care of.

All the best,

Ali

Reviewed 24 December 2017 via mobile

Celebrated our daughter's birthday here as a family get together. Everything was amazing from the food & drinks to the service. The starters were full of flavour, both of the vegetarian and non veg dishes we chose. The recommendations the owner made for the mains were spot on. The meats were very well cooked and seasoned. Another highlight was the drinks selection, specially the espresso martini. The whole family loved the atmosphere from the start to the end. Definitely would recommend this place to any one looking for some genuine Middle Eastern food in a venue with a lot of character topped off with great service. Thank you Zengi Team for making the birthday celebrations special.

Dear DavidSen53

Thank you for your lovely review and kind words. We're so thrilled that you enjoyed your experience with us - it was an absolute pleasure to meet you and your family. We hope to see you all again very soon!

All the best,