“Great Access to both the City and the West End”

Crowne Plaza London The City
Ranked #179 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 October 2017

The location is spot on being within walking distance to the City, South Bank, Waterloo and London Bridge. The West End is just a short cab or tube ride away. The online booking process was quick and simple and the check in at the hotel was equally smooth. The room was bright and I had a lovely view of Blackfriars Bridge. I highly recommend the hotel for both business travellers and holiday makers.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking New Bridge Street
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,574)

Reviewed 2 October 2017

I used to stay here often before I retired. It was great to be back and find it just as comfortable with some significant refurbishment, notably the executive lounge. All the staff I met were helpful, professional and pleasant. A good place to stay away from the bustle of the West End but with good access by bus, tube or taxi.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 2 October 2017

A good hotel to stay, convenient for the City. I stayed one night and have not experienced the bar or restaurants, or room service. I was checked in and out efficiently by a friendly receptionist.
My room was quiet even though it was on the second floor, by the elevators.

My only complaint is the wifi: it was spotty and slow. There shouldn't be that kind of problems in a hotel of this standard.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 October 2017

An incredible experience staying at Crowne Plaza and would recommend it to all.

I booked a weekend in London with my friend celebrating his 30th Birthday. Having phoned up the hotel before our visit to let them know it was his birthday and of our plans to see Lion King and a meal of at the Hutong, The Shard.

The hotel really went all out to ensure we enjoyed our stay. Firstly by surprising my friend with a birthday dessert after checking in. The next morning the guest relations manager Frederick came and wished a happy birthday during our breakfast.

Arriving back from the theatre my friend and I were surprised to find a Lion King gift toy in our room with birthday greetings from the manager. It was such an extremely thoughtful gift knowing that we had come to see the very show at the theatre, we were so happy we chose to stay here. The exceptional service from Frederick and the hotel staff made our stay extra special.

We will both be staying here again and have already began recommending this hotel to our family and friends.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 October 2017

This was a disappointing visit to the Crowne Plaza.

I had asked for our room not to be internal but we were give an internal room. I went to reception and they quickly changed it, but we were given a new room half the size of the old room, or at least it felt like it. We normally like to have room service but we had to eat out, as there was nowhere to eat. There was a bed and the desk was in a tiny alcove but little room for anything else. The wardrobe was half size, it looked like full size but one of the door slid over to reveal a wall. I even had to put my contact lenses in by the reflection of a metal plug, as there was no mirror in the room and the bathroom mirror was too far away. There were no drawers to put clothes in, just a few hangers in the small wardrobe and a high shelf that I couldn't reach. It was really disappointing.

The highlight of the stay was the breakfast in the Club Lounge and seeing Valazes, he is a credit to the hotel. He is always helpful and friendly. The girl in the Club Lounge in the evening, had been unfriendly and downright rude so it was lovely to go to breakfast and see Valazes' friendly face.

After breakfast I went to say how unhappy I had been with the room, this was due to the above and the fact that both a robe and a towel in the room were dirty. The robe was in a sealed bag but had marks all round the sleeve, I suspect make up from someone. The towel had black and brown stains on it and looked horrible. My husband had to use a small hand towel to get dry after a shower and that was no mean feat, as he is a big 6ft 6in guy. Fred offered me some points and discount on my two future stays, which I already had booked and advised me the room we had was the smallest in the hotel, even though it was a Club Room.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza London The City, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2017

Hello sa1gon,

Thank you for staying with us and for being one of our IHG Rewards Club members. I am happy that your breakfast service experience went well. However, we seemed to fail you in most aspects. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience the room condition and layout may have caused you. Your feedback has been taken into account and will be shared with our management. We are confident that necessary steps will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Best Regards,