As first time tourists in London, we read extensive hotel reviews before booking the Crowne Plaza (the City), which proved to be good value for what we paid. If I return to London, I would definitely consider staying here again.
Things I liked and reasons I would return:
1) The Hotel is right across from the Blackfriars Station, so taking the tube to all the key attractions is easy. It’s about a 10-15 minute ride to Westminster, which puts you right at city center with access to the Parliament, Big Ben, London Eye, etc.
2) The breakfast buffet was good and included an omelette station, porridge, a variety of fruits and juices and a good selection of pastries. I loved the mini chocolate croissants!
3) The room was clean and comfortable with all the amenities you would expect from a hotel in the states. I also liked that it was fairy quiet at night - so you can definitely get a good night’s sleep.
4) There was complimentary bottled water left in our room each day, which was nice! Two bottles of regular water, and two sparkling waters. As an FYI, there is also a Tesco (like a 7-eleven) right on the corner of the block, so that was a convenient way to get snacks for the room. Fun fact, they carry Krispy Kreme donuts!
5) There are two restaurants on the property- one is Italian and the other Chinese. There really aren’t that many restaurants around the hotel, so these are good backup options if you aren’t planning on getting dinner somewhere else in the city. We had dinner at the Italian restaurant the night we arrived, and the food was delicious.
6) Front desk staff and the concierge were very friendly and helpful. We didn’t have any issues ordering taxis or getting recommendations on restaurants or transportation. In fact, we had a 5:30am departure to the Eurostar train station for a day trip to Paris, and the front desk arranged a breakfast to-go bag for us and the concierge had the taxi ready to go.
Another thing to note is that this Crowne Plaza is located in the financial district. Using a NYC analogy, you’re not staying in “Times Square”. So if you want to stay in the middle of the action, this wouldn’t be the place to stay and you will likely pay quite a bit more. From my viewpoint, however, it’s not a factor, especially when getting around London on the tube is so easy and efficient; and even coming back late at night, the Blackfriars station and area around the hotel always felt safe.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Crowne Plaza London - The City Hotel provides perfect accommodation in central London near local attractions such as The London Eye, St Paul's Cathedral and Buckingham Palace. This luxury hotel also offers meeting rooms, gym, spa facilities and a Michelin star restaurant. The Crowne Plaza London - The City Hotel is a modern central London hotel, located in the heart of the city. This deluxe London hotel is just a stone's throw away from Blackfriars mainline train station, with a direct connection to the Eurostar terminal at St. Pancras International. For tubes, the Crowne Plaza hotel is equally well located: just a short walk to Temple & Mansion House on the District & Circle Line, or St Paul's on the Central Line. Whether you're in London for business or sightseeing, this London City Centre hotel is ideally located, minutes away from some of London's most famous attractions: The London Eye, St Paul's Cathedral, Millennium Bridge, Tate Modern & West End theatres. Crowne Plaza Club rooms, King Studios and Suites are available at your request. And all rooms are air-conditioned and have High Speed Internet Access. There's also a Fitness Club with sauna in the hotel should you wish to work out and wind down. While you're here, don't forget to eat at our Rosette awarded restaurants; Diciannove offers authentic Italian food including a variety of freshly made pasta, whilst and at Chinese Cricket Club you can enjoy fresh dim sum and Sichuan specialties. The easiest and most exciting way to do some sightseeing in London city centre is to take a trip on the London Eye. On a clear day, you can see as far as the Queen's other residence, Windsor Castle! The Crowne Plaza London City Hotel is only minutes away from the London Eye. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, IHG, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Crowne Plaza London The City reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza London - The City Hotel London
- Crowne Plaza The City
- Crowne Plaza London City